Monday, July 24, 2017 10:39:20 AM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
AP, London :Lucy Harris thinks Britain's decision to leave the European Union is a dream come true. Nick Hopkinson thinks it's a nightmare.The two Britons - a "leave" supporter and a "remainer" - represent the great divide in a country that stepped into the unknown just over a year ago, ...
ACCORDING to a report published by a renowned foreign specialist and a researcher on modern Dhaka - it was revealed that one of the main reasons for increased congestion experienced in the roads and communications system in Dhaka is because of its messy expansion on all the four corners. The ...
AFP, United States : Neymar gave Barcelona fans a dazzling reminder of what they could be about to lose on Saturday, scoring twice as the Spanish giants defeated Juventus 2-1 in a pre-season friendly.The 25-year-old Brazilian superstar is at the centre of frenzied speculation linking him to a gargantuan, world record ...
AFP, Santa Clara :Jose Mourinho has given a "guarantee" that David De Gea will stay at Manchester United this season, despite the long-running saga over a potential move to Real Madrid.Transfer speculation over De Gea returning to hometown club Real has stretched on for the last two years, ever since ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Promising actress Nabila Islam went to Malaysia on July 8 to take part in shooting of three Eid plays and an ongoing TV serial. After taking part in shooting there for 14 days at a time she has returned to Bangladesh on Sunday.There she took part in ...
Filmmaker Anubhav Sinha has lauded director Alankrita Shrivastavas new film Lipstick Under My Burkha, stating that the movie will create a new success economics in Bollywood. Lipstick Under My Burkha, which struggled for certification from the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) earlier this year over its sexual scenes and ...
ANOTHER rape victim succumbed to her injuries after being rescued from a city hotel on Wednesday following two other rape incidents at another hotel in the capital's posh localities. Concurrently, five people were arrested in two separate cases for killing two girls after rape in Dhaka's Kadamtali. The incident of ...
AP, Arlington :Clint Dempsey is back in his home state of Texas, one goal away from a national scoring record for the United States team that is one win from playing in another CONCACAF Gold Cup final.The Americans play a semifinal game Saturday night against Costa Rica in a stadium ...
Reuters, London :British transport minister Chris Grayling, one of Prime Minister Theresa May's closest cabinet colleagues, has predicted she will remain in the job until at least 2020 and could even fight another national election.Following reports of cabinet infighting, Grayling said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph, published on ...
AFP, Monaco :Jamaican sprinting legend Usain Bolt insists he is on the right path as he targets the defence of his 100m crown at next month's world championships in London. In his swansong season, the 30-year-old has struggled to light up the track. In his outings over the blue riband ...
Tolly Bffs, Nusrat and Mimi, were recently in California attending an awards ceremony. When we got in touch with Mimi to ask how her trip was, the actress shared with us an anecdote that we can’t get over! It so happened that Mimi and Nusrat were out and about one ...
RIVER erosion in many parts of the country is making countless people homeless across the country as floodwater started receding. Media reports said monsoon rains caused havoc to flood affected districts like Sirajganj, Chapainawabganj, Kurigram and Lalmonirhat and river bank erosion now follows to add further miseries to the people ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :From many days there was a good relationship between popular singer Asif Akbar and singer and news presenter Lopa Hossain. When Lopa took part in music reality show Close up 1 from that time Asif liked her music. But they never got the scope to work together. ...