Monday, April 24, 2017 03:38:29 AM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
Sports Reporter :'Wonder Boy' Mustafizur Rahman will return home tomorrow from tomorrow. Mustafizur Rahman had a sorrow start in Indian Premier League (IPL) 2017. The 'Cutter Master' played for Sunrisers Hyderabad against Mumbai Indians in Mumbai in his first match on April 13. Mustafiz bowled 2.4 overs conceding 34 runs ...
Neymar looks set to travel with the Barcelona squad for Sunday's El Clasico against Real Madrid as the Catalans continue to fight his suspension for the potentially title-deciding clash.The Brazilian is in the midst of a three-game suspension for his red card and subsequent sarcastic applause of the officials in ...
North Korea has warned of preemptive strike against the South as the specter of war threatens the Korea peninsula.. Meanwhile, Talibans killed at least 140 Afghan soldiers on Friday in an ambush on the regime's forces in northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif. It is so far the deadliest attack on Afghan ...
Actress Daisy Shah played a bold role in the 2015 erotic thriller "Hate Story 3". But she will never get into that genre again as she finds kissing a stranger very awkward.Asked what kind of characters she will never play on screen, she told IANS in an email interaction: "I ...
Chris Pratt is the main lead in two of the biggest Hollywood franchises - Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy - and is one of its highest-earning stars, but the American actor still considers himself an outsider in Hollywood. The actor believes "Hollywood has a tendency to homogenise its ...
AFP, Washington :Russian operatives tried to infiltrate Donald Trump's presidential campaign through his advisers, including foreign policy aide Carter Page, CNN reported on Saturday.CNN said this emerged through FBI intelligence gathering, which triggered an investigation into any possible coordination between Trump campaign operatives and Russian officials.US officials told the news ...
Bangladesh pacer Taskin Ahmed has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Atom Gum, a product of PRAN Confectionery Limited, said a press release.It was announced by Shakhawat Ahamed, head of marketing of PRAN Confectionery Limited at a program held in the city's hotel on Saturday. The Tiger pacer will ...
Sports Reporter :Shakib Al Hasan has been appointed Captain of Bangladesh National Cricket (T20 I) team.Earlier, Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, the Captain of Bangladesh National Cricket (ODI & T20 I) team declared his retirement from T20 I format. Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) announced on Saturday that best all-rounder of world cricket ...
THE capital is yet again experiencing an early outbreak of dengue and untimely rains may be to blame. Like last year, Aedes mosquitoes, transmitter of the dengue virus, have bred early this year alarming authorities and city dwellers and health officials say there are chances their number would be larger, ...
Entertainment Report :On the occasion of coming Eid, popular celebrity couple Mosharraf Karim and Robena Reza Jui worked together in a special play titled Shob Choritro Kalponik Noi. They also acted in the play like real life characters. Shooting of the play was done recently in the city’s Uttara area. ...
Actress Kangana Ranaut says she has no problems with Azaan but feels what Sonu Nigam said should be respected and discussed. Sonu Nigam, in a series of tweets, had described the use of loudspeakers to broadcast sermons and calls to prayers by mosques, temples and gurudwaras as hooliganism. When asked ...
Right based civil society organizations urged the government to put effective strategies and actions to increase human capacity locally in order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). They also opined that the human capacity would see a surge once the government strengthens its institutional capacity and provides platforms for ...
AFP, Moscow :Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov voiced "regret" in a phone call with his US counterpart at Washington's opposition to a Moscow-backed plan to investigate an alleged chemical attack in Syria.In the call with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson which "took place at US initiative," Lavrov raised the probe ...
ENERGY sector deals signed with Indian companies so far clearly indicate how India has been singularly un-tapping our energy market making us disproportionately dependent on the big neighbour. These contracts as reported by a national daily on Friday including those signed early this month had already handed over the largest ...