Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:10:52 AM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
MEMBERS of law enforcement agencies or police for that matter surely have the professional right to conduct search operations based on accurate tip-offs but that doesn't mean it can wreak havoc and cause chaos in the name of such professional duty. The police search operations at main opposition party BNP ...
Defending champion Dhaka Abahani Limited emerged Group A champions to reach the quarterfinal of the Federation Cup Football Tournament beating Muktijoddha Sangsad KC by 1-0 goal in the last Group A match at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Monday.Rubel Mia scored the match-winner for popular sky-blue Dhanmondi outfit in ...
The actress plays a spirited Indo-American in the Arjun Kapoor-Shraddha Kapoor starrer Half Girlfriend, and to fit her character, she had to chop her long locks - an act she hasn't done for many years. “I’ve always had long hair and it’s something I’m proud of. Apart from trimming ends, ...
Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar will be seen promoting his biographical drama, Sachin: A Billion Dreams, on a Marathi chat show. Midst the much anticipation of the film Sachin: A billion dreams that marks the most iconic moments of the cricketing legend, the God of cricket will indulge in a light ...
AP, Tehran :Candidates backing reform of Iran's clerically overseen government swept municipal elections in Tehran, taking all 21 local council seats in the country's capital while moderate President Hassan Rouhani won a second term in office, authorities said on Monday.Their win in Friday's election marks the first time reformists have ...
THE jewellery business in Bangladesh has reportedly been thriving despite there being no import of gold into the country through legal channels. First of all the prevailing predicament is not a new phenomenon and is being continuing for the last three decades. How has it been made possible? Are we ...
The district court in Thane yesterday granted anticipatory bail to actress Shilpa Shetty, her businessman husband Raj Kundra and three others in a cheating case filed by a textile firm owner. The court had earlier granted the accused interim protection from arrest. Additional Sessions Judge Sangeeta Khalipe said in her ...
Sanjay Dutt’s biopic is making a lot of noise much before its release. First, Ranbir Kapoor’s pictures resembling Dutt were leaked and had gone viral in no time. A few days back, there were speculations that filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani has found a fresh actor, who looks pretty much like Dutt’s ...
AFP, Tehran :Iran's President Hassan Rouhani was still celebrating his resounding re-election victory on Saturday when he came under pressure from the country's long-standing foe the United States.Rouhani, a 68-year-old moderate cleric who spearheaded a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, said Iranians had chosen the "path of engagement" and ...