Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:55:16 AM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
US PRESIDENT Donald Trump wants the UN Security Council to take "strong and swift action" to end violence against Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims. Speaking at a Security Council meeting on peacekeeping reform, Vice President Mike Pence accused the Myanmar military of responding to attacks on government outposts "with terrible savagery, burning ...
After teasing the audience with the teaser, trailer and title track now the makers of Julie 2 has released yet another hot and steamy song from the movie. With every passing day, Raai Laxmi is soaring the temperature with lots of oomph. Produced and directed by Deepak Shivdasani and presented ...
Reuters, London :Iran will strengthen its missile capabilities and will not seek any country's permission, President Hassan Rouhani said on Friday in a snub to demands from U.S. President Donald Trump.Rouhani was speaking at a military parade where an Iranian news agency said one of the weapons on display was ...
FOLLOWING the influx of some 26,000 pregnant mothers, 40,000 lactating kids, and 2,00,000 children out of an estimated more than 4,00,000 migrated Rohingyas from Myanmar - many are now at high risk due to lack of proper health care, food, water and medicines. When some of the high-ups of the ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Popular model cum actress Ruksana Ali Hera has already passed 10 years in media. She was first seen as a still model of Banglalink taken by photographer Iqbal Ahmed. She also started her career as a model in a visual advertisement of mobile company Airtel under the ...
Shraddha Kapoor will essay the role of dreaded don Dawood Ibrahim's sister Haseena Aapa in Apoorva Lakhia's upcoming film 'Haseena Parkar' and we have learned that the film also features actual grandkids of the real Haseena Parkar, who was referred to as the 'Godmother of Nagpada'. Confirming the same, director ...
AP, Moscow :Russian special forces are helping Syrian government troops fight Islamic State militants in the battle underway for the strategic city of Deir el-Zour in eastern Syria, the defense ministry in Moscow said on Thursday.The deployment comes amid rising concerns of a direct confrontation on the ground between Russian-backed ...
STATE Counsellor of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi finally broke her silence on the Rohingya refugee crisis Tuesday insisting that her country was not "afraid of international scrutiny." But her speech in Naypyidaw drew widespread criticism, such as; she did not denounce atrocities against Rohingyas and claimed the government needed ...
Last month, much to the relief of filmmakers and the audience, the Censor Board of Film Certification underwent a revamp in August. Padma Shri recipient and lyricist Prasoon Joshi replaced Pahlaj Nihalani as the chairperson and revered film personalities like Vidya Balan and TS Nagabharana became board’s new members. Hopes ...
AFP, United Nations :Tehran will defend itself on the world stage on Wednesday with President Donald Trump threatening to trigger a new international crisis by pulling out of the Iran nuclear accord.Iran's President Hassan Rouhani is to address the United Nations General Assembly, where worried world leaders are fearful of ...