Friday, February 24, 2017 06:38:33 PM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
THE mass deportation that President Donald Trump has pressed in the past several days is only spreading fear and dividing the American nation. The Amnesty International's annual report, presented last Wednesday in Paris has objectively pointed out how the US President Donald Trump and some others like Philippine President Rodrigo ...
Aries (Mar 21-Apr 20): You may encourage those who are sincere and devoted by using unconventional methods and tactics, or by agreeing to discuss your real intentions. Such tendencies are supported by the fact that your romantic charms and social skills will be at their most effective.Taurus (Apr 21-May 21): ...
Sunil Bandopadhaya :The Art Advisory Committee for the decoration of the first three buildings of the UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, which were officially inaugurated in 1958, held its first session from May 16 to 18, 1955. It included Herbert Read, Professor Hassan Shaheed Suhrawardy, then Pakistan’s Ambassador to Spain. Suhrawardy ...
Singer-actress Demi Lovato, who has been vocal about her battle with bipolar depression, believes that mental health is "just as important as physical health".Inspired by her own travails with mental health, Lovato recently served as an executive producer of a documentary called "Beyond Silence", which follows three individuals - Jeff ...
Ingredients250g - Dark chocolate250g - Unsalted butter360g - Caster sugar5 - Eggs5ml - Vanilla extracts100g - Strawberry chocolate (chopped)50g - Chopped nuts65g - All-purpose flour1 tsp - Baking powderFor GarnishFresh strawberriesVanilla ice creamChocolate garnishMethodPreheat the oven to 170 degree celsius.* Line a 24cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.* Melt ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :The month-long Amar Ekushey Boi Mela is going on in the capital amid foolproof security which began on February 1. Some days have already gone since its beginning. This time the Boi Mela takes a different look. This year the extent and range of the Boi Mela ...
Reuters, Beirut :Syrian warplanes carried out air strikes on rebel-held areas in Deraa, Hama and Aleppo provinces and insurgents fired rockets at government targets on Thursday, just as peace talks were set to resume in Geneva after a 10-month hiatus, a war monitoring group said.However, the overall level of violence ...
Amiruddin Sharifi slam a brilliant hat-trick saw Shaheen Asmayee FC, Afghanistan recorded a 3-1 goal victory over Nepalese football club Manang Marshiandi in the Sheikh Kamal International Club Cup held on Wednesday.The first match of the 4th day into the group stage at the MA Aziz Stadium saw Amiruddin set ...
BORDER Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and India's Border Security Force (BSF) will now conduct joint verification instead of investigation into border killings. The decision on joint verification came during a DG-level conference in Dhaka on Tuesday to reduce the number of border killings to zero level. Last year, BGB-BSF decided to ...
Deepika has traveled across the world to promote her global franchise film, xXx - Return of Xander Cage. Deepika has been an integral part of xXx’s global promotions. Not only did the entire team come to India for promotions, but they also traveled to a lot of other places to ...
Reuters, Washington :US President Donald Trump has shown little patience for dissent, but that trait is likely to be tested by his new national security adviser, Army Lieutenant General HR McMaster.McMaster is joining the White House staff with views on Russia, counterterrorism, strengthening the military and other major security issues ...
THE Nation celebrates 'Amar Ekushey' today with due solemnity and festivities to remember the Martyrs of the 1952 Language Movement. It is a landmark occasion and day of awakening in the history of Bengali people that made it clear that we have our own language and our identity that must ...