Thursday, June 22, 2017 08:19:02 PM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
THE New VAT Act scheduled to become effective from July 1 is facing new crisis as the Finance Minister has been asked by the highest authority of the government to postpone it for the time being and find out why controversies with business communities and other stakeholders still remained unresolved. ...
Sports Reporter :The fifth edition of Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) Cricket will be held in this year. Defending runners-up Rajshahi Kings has started to form their team. West Indian star Darren Sammy led Rajshahi Kings in last year's BPL. Rajshahi Kings have retained Darren Sammy for this year's BPL. The ...
Entertainment Report :Actors of the small screen always believe that they must have worked either play or telefilm in Eid. On the other hand, actors of big screen want their acted movie must be released in Eid. As a result, they pass the Eid festival joyfully. But actor Afzal Sharif ...
The Washington Post :The State Department issued an unusual public warning to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday over a diplomatic rift with fellow U.S. ally Qatar, and suggested that the Saudis may have provoked a crisis and drawn in the United States on false pretenses.Department spokeswoman ...
AT the beginning we have to admit that we are glad the government leaders condemned the brutal attack on Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, the Secretary General of the majors opposition party BNP. In a highly rowdy situation Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir's convoy came under attack allegedly by followers of ruling party ...
The Under -16 Girls who have kept the Bangladesh football's flag flying with their international success were finally rewarded when Bangladesh Mahila Parishad honored the Bangladesh women's U16 team with this year's Begum Sufia Kamal Award for their performance on the field.BFF's head of women's football, Mahfuza Akhter Kiron received ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :On the occasion of coming Eid, noted playwright and director Badrul Anam Soud has made a special play titled Durer Manush. Soud himself has written its story. Soud informed that story of the play revolves with a girl named Orpa.Naziba Bashar played the role of Orpa. Therefore, ...
Reuters, Washington :The United States wants China to become more involved in supporting the global fight against terrorism and efforts to defeat ISIS, including in Iraq, a senior U.S. official said on Monday ahead of high-level security talks with Beijing.Susan Thornton, the U.S. acting assistant secretary of state for East ...
AFP, Berlin :German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday she was prepared to consider proposals by new French President Emmanuel Macron for a shake-up of the eurozone.Speaking to business leaders in Berlin, Merkel acknowledged that the "economic cohesion of the eurozone member states leaves something to be desired".Merkel, who is running ...
PTI, New Delhi :Prime Minister Narendra Modi Monday talked to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and reaffirmed India's commitment to take forward the Paris Climate Agreement, the Prime Minister's Office said.Mr Trudeau had called up PM Modi on Monday evening where the issue of the Paris Agreement came up for ...
FAKE currency notes are overcrowding the market ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr poising big threat to shoppers in the city malls and other marketplaces. As it appears currency syndicates have already spread network all over the country to pump fake notes in the marketing channels using big businesses and even some bank ...
Former world number one and two-time Grand Slam title winner Victoria Azarenka returns to tennis after a year's absence this week, claiming "I'm ready for a new part of my career".The 27-year-old Azarenka hasn't played since the 2016 French Open, taking time out to give birth to her first child ...