Sunday, February 25, 2018 12:02:14 PM
High Court Division
(Criminal Revisional Jurisdiction)
SM Mozibur Rahman J
Ziauddin Ahmed .....
State………… ..... . Opposite-Party
Code of Criminal Procedure (V of 1898)
Anti-Corruption Act (XXVI of 1957)
Investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. ….(10)
Md Abul Hossain vs State, 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 ref.
None appears-For the Petitioner.
Md Khurshid Alam Khan, Advocate-For the ACC.
Bhabani Prasad Singha J : This Rule was issued calling upon the opposite party to show cause as to why the proceedings of Special Case No.4 of 1993 arising out of Bajitpur PS Case No. 9 (11) /87 GR Case No. 75(2)/87 under sections 420/468/478/109 of the Penal Code read with section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947 pending in the Court of Additional Sessions Judge and Special Judge, Kishoreganj should not be set aside and/ or pass such other or further order or orders as to this Court may seem fit and proper.
2. The facts leading to this instant Criminal Revision case under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 are that on 28-11-1987 one Serajuddin Ahmed, Assistant Inspector DAB, Kishoreganj lodged a written First Information Report with Bajitpur PS, Kishoregonj alleging that the accused Afsar Ali Akanda on the strength of some false papers showed him as a primary school teacher of Saygoan Govt. Primary School, PS Bedarganj, Faridpur from 16-9-1978 to 16-9-1981 and he, on the strength of false transfer order of the DDPI, Dhaka Division to the effect that he has been transferred to Purakandi Govt. Primary School under Bajitpur PS and District Kishoreganj as an Assistant Teacher. He with his false Service Book, LPC and transfer order appeared before Ziauddin Ahmed, the then Thana Education Officer, Bajitpur, Kishoreganj who directed the Head Master concerned to accept his joining report. Accordingly, the accused Md Afsar Ali Akanda joined there and served there as an Assistant Teacher from 30-9-1981 to 31-7-1984 and drew Taka 16,028.62 in total as salary and allowances by adopting the means of forgery and cheating.
3. After investigation, charge-sheet was submitted against the accused-petitioner and others under sections 420/468/471/109/409/ 420 of the Penal Code read with section 5 (2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947.
4. After submission of charge-sheet in this case, it was transmitted to the Senior Special Judge, Kishoregonj and was numbered as Special Case No.4 of 1993.
5. Being aggrieved by and dissatisfied with the impugned proceedings in Special Case No.4. of 1993, the accused-petitioner preferred the instant Criminal Revision under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure and obtained the Rule.
6. No one appears on behalf of the accused-petitioner although the case appeared in the cause list for several dates.
7. Mr Md Khurshid Alam Khan, the learned Advocate appearing on behalf of the State submits that the revisional application under section 561A of the Code of Criminal Procedure has been filed agitating. that the investigation being conducted by an ASI, of police without obtaining sanction from the Bureau of Anti-Corruption and hence without jurisdiction; that the said point of agitation has already been decided by the Appellate Division in the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122 and, as such, the question of sanction before taking cognizance does not arise at all. The learned Advocate further submits that there being no merit in the case, the Rule is liable to be discharged.
8. Heard the submission of the learned Advocate and perused the materials on record.
9. On perusal of the instant revisional application, it appears that the accused-petitioner has filed the instant revision on the grounds that although the accused-petitioner and others are public servant, without prior sanction from the Government proceeding against them is violative of section 5(2) of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947; that the investigation of the case was taken out by an ASI of Police and, as such the impugned proceedings is liable to be quashed.
10. It is worth mentioning that another Division Bench of High Court Division in Criminal Revision Case No. 202 of 1993 and Criminal Revision Case No. 1805 of 1992 arising out of the same case, discharged the Rules issued in aforesaid Criminal Revision Cases holding that no substance was found in the Rule relying on the case of Md Abul Hossain vs State reported in 19 BLD (AD) 97 = 4 BLC (AD) 122. Our Apex Court, in said case, held that in view of the provision of section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act, 1947, the investigation held by an ASI of the Bureau of Anti-Corruption was not illegal and without jurisdiction.
Our Apex Court further held in the same decision that the investigation by an ASI does not per se become without jurisdiction and a proceeding cannot also be quashed mainly because there is irregularity, if any, in the investigation. We are in respectful agreement with the aforesaid decision of our Apex Court.
11. In the light of discussion made here-above, we find no substance in the Rule and, as such, it is liable to be discharged.
12. In the result, the Rule is discharged. The interim order passed at the time of issuance of the Rule stands vacated.
Let a copy of this judgment be transmitted down to the court concerned at once.
AFP, Beirut :Air strikes and rocket fire hit the Syrian rebel enclave of Eastern Ghouta for a seventh straight day on Saturday after the United Nations again delayed a vote on a ceasefire.The Damascus government launched a devastating bombardment of the enclave just outside the capital last Sunday that has ...
Aid workers have identified 32 victims of human trafficking so far at Rohingya camps in Cox's Bazar and also reported lack of access to basic services and self-reliance opportunities - especially for women and girls increasing the risk of trafficking. If such risks were assessed from the very beginning when ...
Former adult film actress Sunny Leone made a swift move into the Hindi film industry in 2012. And now the Indo-Canadian actress is all set to make her debut in a Tamil film. She says south Indian films would help her grow as a person and an actress. Sunny, whose ...
REMARKS by Indian Army Chief, Gen. Bipin Rawat on Thursday that a 'planned influx' of people from Bangladesh into India's north-east is underway as part of a proxy war by Pakistan with support from China, so to keep the area disturbed. Moreover, he also said migration from Bangladesh are happening ...
Priyanka Chopra has decided to cut ties with billionaire diamond trader Nirav Modi's brand following the news about the alleged banking fraud carried out by him. "In the light of recent allegations, Priyanka Chopra has chosen to terminate her contract with the Nirav Modi brand," a spokesperson of Priyanka, who ...
AP, Washington :Dramatically escalating the pressure and stakes, special counsel Robert Mueller filed additional criminal charges Thursday against President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman and his business associate.The filing adds allegations of tax evasion and bank fraud and significantly increases the legal jeopardy facing Paul Manafort, who managed Trump's campaign ...
Human rights group Amnesty International has accused Donald Trump of "hateful" politics and of being a threat to human rights. "President Trump takes actions that violate human rights at home and abroad," the group said. Amnesty put Mr Trump in the same group as the leaders of Egypt, Russia, China, ...
PHYSICIANS must provide treatment, President Abdul Hamid said to common people at affordable cost so that no one remained deprived of receiving treatment for lack of money. He made the call while addressing the third convocation of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University in the city on Monday. He has also ...
Oscar-winning actress Alicia Vikander said she loves "independent and arthouse" cinema, but is also attracted towards the big adventure films.The actress, who will be soon seen as Lara Croft in the forthcoming film 'Tomb Raider', also shared that she found training and muscle-building exercise for the role, empowering. "My mother, ...