Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Saturday, April 20, 2019 11:22:39 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Roger Federer reveals plan to capture 2017 Wimbledon title to add to Australian Open win

photo by

By Agency
02nd-Mar-2017       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

Roger Federer has labeled his most recent win at the 2017 Australian Open a 'team victory' for all the sacrifices they had to make in the last years. The 18-time Grand Slam champion admitted that doubts had crept in after four-and-a-half years without a major title, but was delighted to get back to winning ways in Melbourne earlier this year.
The Swiss ace missed the last six-months with a knee injury and last won a Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 2012. The Australian Open was Federer's first ranking tournament since July last year and he surprised everyone including himself by making it to the summit clash and more so when he beat Rafael Nadal to lift the title.
"Just everything that I've gone through the last six months, or even a year for that matter, or the last five years where I didn't win a slam, where I was doing the right things but you don't know if it's ever going to pay off, you know? I feel this was very much a team victory this one', Federer said, as quoted by tennisworldusa.org.
Federer returned to the courts for the first time since Australia at the Dubai Tennis Championships this week, but has indicated that he will take more breaks during the course of the season. Winning Grand Slam titles is the former world number one's main goal and he is aware that Wimbledon is his best chance of another major title this year.
The Swiss maestro is unlikely to miss French Open in May, but suggested that he could cut short his clay court season in order to be in peak condition when he arrives at SW17 in July. Federer is coming back from a long-term injury and is uncertain about exerting himself by playing four clay court tournaments like in the past.
"I know the French Open is going to be hard just because I would have to put in so much work during the clay-court season even to be perfectly ready for it and even then there is no guarantee," Federer said, as quoted by the Times. "I have to ask myself the question, how much am I going to put into it?
"At Wimbledon and the US Open I always have chances as long as I'm playing and am healthy. The courts suit me. The goal will be Wimbledon. I know this is where I have my best chance and I hope to be at 100 per cent.
"I will only decide on the clay-court swing after Miami. In my best years I played three, sometimes four [clay] tournaments. That's always going to be a hard ask right now - the body also needs some healing again," the Swiss star added.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Football »

FIFA backs English players' social media boycott over racism


AP, England :FIFA is backing a 24-hour social media boycott by professional players in England in a protest against racial abuse and revealed plans for a new global campaign to eradicate discrimination in soccer.Following a series of high-profile cases in recent weeks, the Professional Footballers' Association has gathered support from ...

International »

US President Trump declares victory on Mueller report D-Day


President Donald Trump, backed by his attorney general, declared himself fully vindicated on Thursday in the investigation into Russian election meddling and alleged collusion with his campaign - even before the American people and lawmakers see the full probe report."Game Over," Trump tweeted, using a "Game of Thrones" style montage ...

Entertainment »

Shanta Jahan in Australia for hosting


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Shanta Jahan is a popular host of present time. Though she acts sometimes but always feels comfortable to present herself as a host to all. For the first time Shanta went to Australia to host a show. She left Dhaka at night on April 18. Today is ...

Editorial »

One is punished for another's sin!


LOCAL media reported that a day labourer was allegedly sent to jail on Wednesday for not paying electricity bill of Tk 4007, even though his house at Mochagora village in Muradnagar upazila in Cumilla district had no electrical line. On Thursday evening, Chief Judicial Magistrate granted him bail after hearing ...

Cricket »

Sri Lanka dump Chandimal, bring back Thirimanne for World Cup


AFP, Colombo :Sri Lanka Thursday dumped established stars including former captain Dinesh Chandimal to hand batsman Lahiru Thirimanne and leg-spinner Jeffrey Vandersay a place in their World Cup squad.Chandimal, who was one-day captain until last October, wicketkeeper-batsman Niroshan Dickwella, off-spinner Akila Dananjaya, openers Danushka Gunathilaka and Upul Tharanga were all ...

Cricket »

Senior players need to take the responsibility: Faruk Ahmed


Former chief selector Faruk Ahmed insisted on the performance of the senior players, stating that they need to take the onus if Bangladesh want to do well in the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup.According to Faruk, the condition should give Bangladesh a confidence, given that they stormed into the semifinal ...

Entertainment »

Mehazabien’s Boishakhi works create viewers’ attention


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :For the last few years, Mehazabien Chowdhury established her strong position in media by virtue of her acting quality and skill. She is now getting positive response for acting in two Boishakhi plays. Afran Nisho was her co-actor in these two plays - Tom & Jerry and ...

International »

Turkish opposition takes control of Istanbul, re-run appeal still pending


Reuters, Istanbul :Turkey's main opposition candidate took office as Istanbul mayor on Wednesday after a stunning victory over President Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party, but the new head of the country's largest city still faces an appeal for the vote to be re-run.The final result of the March 31 local elections ...

Editorial »

Power politics in Egypt


A HUGE majority of Egypt's MPs on April 16 approved constitutional amendments to allow President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi in power until 2030. The amendments were initially introduced in February, however after lengthy debates and discussions favouring the Egyptian society it was updated earlier this week. "The president's current term shall expire ...

Football »

Iniesta's J-League club Kobe part ways with coach Lillo


AFP, Tokyo :Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta's Vissel Kobe have terminated the contract of manager Juan Manuel Lillo following a poor run of results, the Japanese club said on Wednesday.The 53-year-old former Real Sociedad and Zaragoza boss won just two of six games since taking charge last October as star-studded Vissel ...

International »

US waging 'financial war' against Palestinians


AP, Ramallah, West Bank :The new Palestinian prime minister on Tuesday accused the United States of declaring "financial war" on his people and said an American peace plan purported to be in the works will be "born dead."In his first interview with international media since taking office over the weekend, ...

City »

Various organisations formed a human chain in front of Jatiya Press Club on Wednesday marking the International Krishok Sangram Dibash-2019.


Entertainment »

Priya Bapat to take up a web series


Web Series are surely the in thing nowadays and so many actors, irrespective of their stardom, are being seen in them. Marathi superstar Priya Bapat has also bagged a web series called City Of Dreams. Sharing her experience of being part of the series, she says, “Web series are now ...

Editorial »

Urgent steps needed to check outbreak of diarrhoea


AT the advent of summer this year, the number of diarrhoea patients has already crossed the recent records. International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, and the other city hospitals are struggling to tackle the surge in diarrhoea patients. The diarrhoea patients admitted to the ICDDR,B has crossed the number ...

Cricket »

Tearful Taskin vows to make a strong comeback


Fast bowler Taskin Ahmed vowed to make a strong comeback after being snubbed from the 15-member World Cup squad, announced by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Tuesday.Chocked with emotions as tears were rolling down from his cheek Taskin shared his disappointments with media."Its' ok just pray for me," Taskin ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news