Sunday, May 28, 2017 09:04:52 AM
Nazmun Ara Sultana J
April 28th, 2014
Abu Hanif Hawlader
Mohammad Amanat Ullah Hawlader and others .. Respondents
State Acquisition & Tenancy Act (28 of 1951)
The pre-emptors admitted that they had knowledge about the deed of exchange but they had no knowledge that it was actually a sale and that knowing about the fact that the transfer in question was actually a sale but the deed was created as an exchange deed in order to avoid pre-emption they filed the pre-emption case within the statutory period from the date of their knowledge about the sale and, as such, the pre-emption case was within time. ...... (9)
Mahbubey Alam, Senior Advocate instructed by Md Nawab Ali, Advocate-on-Record-For the Petitioner.
Khair Ezaz Maswood, Advocate instructed by Nurul Islam Bhuiyan, Advocate-on-Record-For Respondent Nos. 1 and 2.
Not Represented-Respondent Nos. 3-25.
Nazmun Ara Sultana J : This Civil Petition for Leave to Appeal is directed against the judgment and order dated 24-6-2009 passed by the High Court Division in Civil Revision No. 3884 of 2007 making the rule absolute and thereby selling the aside concurrent findings and decision of both the trial court and the appellate court below.
2. The facts relevant for the purpose of disposal of this civil petition for leave to appeal, in short, are that the respondent Nos. 1 and 2 herein, as pre-emptors, instituted Miscellaneous Case No. 102 of 2000 in the Court of Assistant Judge, Lakshmipur for pre-emption under section 96 of the State Acquisition and Tenancy Act. Their case, in short, was that the vendor-opposite party No.2 sold the case land to the pre-emptee-opposite party No.1 Abu Hanif Howlader by a deed executed on 16-4-1998 and presented for registration on 24-4-1998 which was ultimately registered under Section 60 of the Registration Act on 10 -3 -1999. But to avoid pre-emption the said deed was executed and registered as a deed of exchange instead of deed of sale. The pre-emptors knew the said deed as deed of exchange. But in the middle of September, 2000 the vendor Manzuma Khatun disclosed for the first time that she had sold the case land to the preemptee and she had already returned the land which was shown to have been exchanged with the case land to the preemptee by a registered deed.
The pre-emptors then procured the certified copies of that deed of exchange and also the subsequent transfer deed executed by the vendor in favour of the pre-emptee and were confirmed that the transaction in question was, in fact, out and out sale, but the pre-emptee and the vendor, in collusion with each other, made the deed as an exchange deed only to avoid preemption. Thereafter, the pre-emptors instituted the pre-emption case on 30-11-2000. That the preemptors are co-sharers to the case holding while the pre-emptee-opposite party was a stranger to that. The pre-emptors were otherwise entitled to get pre-emption and they also deposited the requisite amount at the time of filing of pre-emption case.
3. The pre-emptee-opposite party No. 1 contested the case of pre-emption by filing a written objection. He has denied all the material allegations made in the plaint and contended that the transfer in question was not sale, but it was an exchange and, as such, the case of preemption was not maintainable at all.
This preemptee-opposite party has also denied the allegation that subsequently the vendor returned the land to him which was shown in that deed of exchange-by a registered deed. This preemptee-opposite party also alleged that the preemptors knew about the case transfer from the very beginning and, as such, the pre-emption case is barred by limitation.
4. The trial court dismissed the case for pre-emption by the judgment and order dated 31-1-2006 holding that the transfer in question was an exchange. The appellate court below affirmed this judgment and order of the trial court in Miscellaneous Appeal No. 14 of 2006 by the judgment and order dated 17-4-2007 . In the above mentioned civil revision the High Court Division found that the transfer in question, in fact, was out and out sale and that in order to avoid pre-emption the vendor and vendee, in collusion with each other, created the transfer deed as a deed of exchange and consequently allowed the pre-emption case.
5. Mr Mahbubey Alam, the learned Senior Advocate for the pre-emptee-petitioner though has made some submissions trying to assail the impugned judgment and order of the High Court Division but could not show us any wrong in the findings and decision made in that judgment.
6. The learned Advocate for the respondent Nos. l and 2 has supported the impugned judgment.
7. We have considered the submissions of the learned Advocates of both the sides and gone through the impugned judgment and order of the High Court Division, those of the courts below and also the materials on record.
8. It appears that the High Court Division-on meticulous examination and consideration of the evidence on record and also the facts and circumstances-arrived at the finding that the transfer in question, in fact, was out and out sale.
The pre-emptors filed the certified copies of the deed in question and also the subsequent transfer deed executed, by the vendor opposite party in favour of the pre-emptee opposite party which have been marked as exhibits-4 and 4 (ka) respectively.
The High Court Division examined both these transfer deeds and detected that only four days after execution of the deed in question the vendor executed and registered a kabala deed in favour of the pre-emptee in respect of the same land which was shown to have been exchanged with the case land.
The High Court Division in consideration of these two deeds-the exhibits-4 and 4 (Ka) and also considering the other evidence came to the clear finding that in order to avoid pre-emption the exhibit-4 was created as a deed of exchange though the transfer in question was out and out sale. The High Court Division held thus:
"In view of the aforesaid facts and circum stances of the case and the decisions as referred above, I am of the view that the pre-emptee and vendor. collusively created exhibit-4 in the form of deed of exchange. Exhibits-4 (Ka) and 5 clearly proved that the impugned transfer was out and out a sale and in order to avoid pre-emption it was made in the form of deed of exchange."
9. The High Court Division considered also the plea raised by the pre-emptee-opposite party that the pre-emptors knew about the case transfer from the very beginning and, as such, the pre-emption case was barred by limitation.
The High Court Division rightly pointed out that the pre-emptors admitted that they had knowledge about the deed of exchange but they had no knowledge that it was actually a sale and that knowing about the fact that the transfer in question was actually a sale but the deed was created as an exchange deed in order to avoid pre-emption they filed the pre-emption case within the statutory period from the date of their knowledge about the sale and, as such, the preemption case was within time.
10. We find the above findings and decisions of the High Court Division correct. Considering the evidence on record and the facts and circumstances we find that the High Court Division rightly found that the transfer in question was out and out sale but in order to avoid pre-emption the vendor and vendee, in collusion with each other, created the transfer deed as a deed of exchange and that the pre-emptors filed the pre-emption case within the statutory period from the date of their knowledge about that sale.
We, therefore, find no merit in this Civil Petition for Leave to Appeal and hence it is dismissed.
THE Holy month of Ramzan starts from today with a surge in the pieces of essentials in the kitchen market to a new height. The government leaders said the market has enough supply and it is true because traders have imported essentials in huge quantity in the past months anticipating ...
Abdul Muqit Chowdhury :Holy Ramzan, the ninth month of the Arabic year and the best period for virtuous deeds, starts today with great inspiration and religious fervour. This month is unique, to have Revelation of the Holy Quran-the universal and eternal message for guidance of mankind. The Muslims are fortunate ...
AFP, Beijing :Chinese two-time Grand Slam champion Li Na enrolled Saturday in a prominent Beijing business school program for senior management executives. "As a retired athlete who has been in the tennis industry for many years, I hope to pursue a wide range of business interests in my second career," ...
Singer Celine Dion says it is a matter of pride and honor for her to have sung hit love ballad My Heart Will Go On for the film Titanic. The 49-year-old songstress recently sang the number from the 1997 blockbuster at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards to celebrate the 20th ...
Kartik Aaryan impressed us all with his hilariousness in the Pyaar Ka Punchnama series and he is all set to push the envelope in comedy with Guest Iin London. The trailer is standing proof of this. In a three minute comic trailer that stars the comedy legend Paresh Rawal, Kartik ...
AFP, New York :Hillary Clinton launched a stinging attack on Donald Trump Friday, obliquely comparing him to former president Richard Nixon, who resigned in 1974 to escape impeachment, and savaging the Republican assault on fact-based politics.The defeated Democratic presidential nominee made her remarks in a commencement address at her alma ...
THE High Court Division on last Thursday declared that all forms of session fees charged by the numerous English medium schools in the country as illegal. The verdict came against the backdrop of a writ petition filed with the HC in 2012 challenging the legality of Session Fees and value ...
Sports Reporter :Saint Gregory's High School & College emerged as the unbeaten champions of the First Security Islami Bank School Rugby Competition defeating Shaheed Nabi High School by 30-0 points in the final at Physical Education College Ground in the city's Mohammadpur on Friday.Shaheed Nabi High School became runners-up, while ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Popular model and TV actress Sumayia Zafar Suzana, popularly known as Suzana Zafar, has returned to acting after returning from abroad. She is working for an Eid telefilm directed by Iftekhaar Ahmed Fahmi. Suzana’s co-actors are Shahiduzzaman Selim, Apurba and Sumaiya Shimu. The shooting began at a ...
Actress Zareen Khan is ecstatic to play a law student in Vikram Bhatts 1921. Zareen told IANS: “As a teenager, I always wanted to study law and I am glad that I got an opportunity to play a law student on screen at least.” She is currently shooting for the ...
AFP, New York : For a president obsessed with deporting "bad hombres" from the United States, the Latino street gang known as MS-13 is the perfect target.Known for its horrific murders, in which victims are set upon with machetes and baseball bats, it has a reach that now extends from its ...
A recently held dialogue organised by the American Chamber of Commerce in Bangladesh (AMCHAM) revealed that the country is not getting foreign direct investments (FDIs) at an expected level in spite of the government's numerous initiatives to give easy access to such investment opportunities. Whether or not these 'initiatives' are ...
After conquering global Box-Office with staggering numbers, SS Rajamouli's magnum opus ' Baahubali 2: The Conclusion' is now all set to release in China. Bollywood trade analyst Taran Adarsh shared the news of the release on his Twitter handle. He wrote, "Lots of speculation about #Baahubali2 release in China... The ...