Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Friday, September 21, 2018 03:00:08 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Klopp feared for Dortmund stars after bomb blast

By AFP, London
14th-Apr-2017       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »


Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he feared for his former Borussia Dortmund players' safety after the bomb attack on their team bus.
Three explosions went off as the Dortmund team made their way to their Signal Iduna Park stadium for the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Monaco on Tuesday.
Klopp spent seven years as the German club's manager, signing many of Dortmund's current players, and as soon as he heard news of the attack he feared the worst. The German tried to contact his old team and was relieved when it emerged there were no fatalities, with Dortmund defender Marc Bartra needing surgery on a wrist injury as a result of the attack.
"Everyone can imagine it was a really difficult moment for me," Klopp said on Thursday.
"I don't know how often I have been in that hotel down the years. I know exactly where it is on that road and a lot of my friends were on the bus."I tried immediately to get some information. I was really concerned, scared for them (the players), I was scared for everyone."I had contact with a few people but I didn't want to bother them with my silly questions so I
was waiting like all the rest of the world for more information."
Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has criticised UEFA, European football's
governing body, for disregarding the feelings of his squad by rescheduling
the first leg to kick off less than 24 hours after the incident in Germany.
Tuchel claims the club were informed of the decision by text message and
Bartra was still in hospital while his team-mates were losing the first leg
3-2 to Monaco.
Klopp agrees with Tuchel that UEFA underestimated the mental scars
inflicted on the Dortmund players by such a traumatic experience.
"It's really, really difficult to find a date in this really tight
schedule but I think everyone would have understood if they said they did not
want to play it," he said.
"I saw it in the faces of my former players after the game and I saw the
shock in their eyes and that was really hard. It will obviously take time to
deal with it in a proper way. "I'm pretty sure if some of the people who made
the decision (to play the match) afterwards had been on the bus they would
not have played the game but when you are not on the bus you cannot really
imagine how it was exactly."
The German Federal Prosecutor's Office said three letters claiming
responsibility found near the site of the attack made Islamic extremists the
possible perpetrators. Security has been increased at Premier League grounds
this season in the wake of terrorist attacks at sporting and non-sporting
events around Europe, but Klopp said he had no specific concerns about the
safety of himself or his players.
"All of us do everything we can do. Obviously there are a few people
(terrorists) around who have new ideas and can you be prepared for that?" he
said.
"Am I concerned? No. But in all parts of life we can only give 100 per cent
and I'm sure everyone is doing this to give you the best security you can
have."


Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Rohingya crisis: UN is helpless without active cooperation of int'l community


THE United Nations was established with a mission to stop brutality and promotion of human rights across the globe but at present is apparently helpless to stop the Myanmar military atrocity on Rohingya ethnic community. Though the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the ...

Cricket »

India rout Pakistan by eight wickets in Asia Cup


AFP, Dubai :India crushed Pakistan by eight wickets in their long-awaited Asia Cup match which failed to live up to its hype in Dubai on Wednesday.Pace spearhead Bhuvneshwar Kumar (3-15) and part time off-spinner Kedar Jadhav (3-23) sent Pakistan, who won the toss and batted, collapsing to just 162 all ...

Football »

We aim to play SAFF U-16 Women's final: Choton


Bangladesh U-18 national women's football team head coach Golam Rabanni Choton said they aim to play the final of the SAFF U-18 Women's Championship which is scheduled to be held from September 28 to October 7 in Thimpu, Bhutan.He was speaking at a pre-departure press conference on Thursday at the ...

International »

US-North Korea relations making 'tremendous progress': Trump


President Donald Trump on Wednesday said US relations with North Korea are making "tremendous progress" from the days before his presidency when the two countries appeared close to "going to war."Trump said a recent letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un confirmed the positive track, which he said has ...

City »

Newly elected executive members of Bangladesh Photo Journalists Association paid a courtesy call on Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan at his ministry on Thursday.


Entertainment »

Not always necessary to do issue-based films: Yami Gautam


Actress Yami Gautam, who stars in Batti Gul Meter Chalu, says it is neither necessary nor possible for an actor to do issue-based films all the time. Yami was interacting with the media here on Wednesday at a promotional press conference of the film that releases on Friday. She was ...

Football »

Japanese MMA star Norifumi 'Kid' Yamamoto dies at 41


Tributes flowed Wednesday for charismatic Japanese Mixed Martial Artist ( MMA) Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, who died at age 41, three weeks after announcing a battle with cancer.Born to a family of wrestlers and martial artists, the wiry, tattoo-covered Yamamoto took on larger opponents in a wide range of MMA events, ...

Editorial »

Ecological danger for destroying forest by Rohingyas


A STUDY has revealed that 4,300 acres of hills and forests have been razed in Cox's Bazar to set up refugee camps and cooking fuel for Rohingyas who fled ethnic cleansing in Myanmar. Quoting the study, news media reported that about 3,000-4,000 acres of hill land at Teknaf and Ukhia ...

International »

Kim agrees to dismantle main nuke site if US takes steps too


AP,  Pyongyang :The leaders of North and South Korea announced a wide range of agreements Wednesday which they said were a major step toward peace on the Korean Peninsula. But the premier pledge on denuclearization contained a big condition, with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un stating he'd permanently dismantle ...

International »

Sex with Trump 'least impressive' she's ever had: Daniels


Stormy Daniels, the porn star who claims to have slept with Donald Trump over a decade ago, says in her upcoming tell-all book that it may have been the "least impressive sex" she'd ever had, The Guardian reported Tuesday.In her book, "Full Disclosure," Daniels also provides a graphic description of ...

Entertainment »

I`m seen as a fierce and opinionated woman post Bigg Boss: Hina Khan


Actor Hina Khan believes Bigg Boss helped her showcase her real personality, which is that of a woman who does not shy away from speaking her mind. The actor became one of the most talked about contestants on the 11th edition of the reality TV show, which has just begun ...

City »

Dhaka University teachers formed a human chain programme on the campus on Wednesday demanding release and proper treatment of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia.


Editorial »

We welcome Islamabad for awarding Bangladeshi-origin refugees Pakistan`s nationality


PAKISTAN government has decided to grant nationality to all Pakistan-born refugees of Bangladeshi and Afghan origins staying there for decades. Prime Minister Mr Imran Khan on Sunday made this announcement during his maiden visit to Karachi, saying the Bangladeshi and Afghan refugees who were born in Pakistan would get National ...

Sports »

Argentina's Facundo Conte (left) and teammate Alexis Gonzalez celebrate during the Men's World Championships' volleyball match between Argentina and Slovenia, in Florence, Italy on Monday.


Football »

FIFA president Infantino has doubts about La Liga match in Miami


AFP, Barcelona :FIFA president Gianni Infantino has expressed concern about La Liga's proposal to stage a fixture between Girona and Barcelona in the United States.The two clubs have each approved a request submitted to the Spanish Football Federation for the match to be played at the Hard Rock Stadium in ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news