Tuesday, November 13, 2018 09:48:39 AM
Neymar looks set to travel with the Barcelona squad for Sunday's El Clasico against Real Madrid as the Catalans continue to fight his suspension for the potentially title-deciding clash.
The Brazilian is in the midst of a three-game suspension for his red card and subsequent sarcastic applause of the officials in Barca's 2-0 defeat to Malaga two weeks ago.
Barca's appeal to Spain's Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAD) wasn't placed until after the court's normal meeting time on Friday.
The club argue that until a ruling on the appeal is held, Neymar's ban should be suspended and therefore allow him to feature at the Bernabeu.
"The club asks TAD to present a ruling and, unless it confirms the player's ban, it grants the provisional suspension of the ban," Barca said in a statement.
"As a coach I am prepared to play with Neymar or without him," said coach Luis Enrique on Saturday.
However, even if no ruling from TAD is forthcoming before kick-off on Sunday (1845GMT), Barca would be taking an enormous risk by playing Neymar as they could be sanctioned with defeat for fielding an ineligible player.
Barca's desperation for Neymar to be involved speaks volumes as the side most in need of the points.
Enrique says his last Clasico in charge is a must-win for the reigning La Liga champions.
Madrid hold a three-point lead at the top with a game in hand on their rivals as they close in on a first La Liga title in five years.
"Given how close it is to the end of the season it is a decisive weekend," said Enrique.
"This time a Clasico can decide or almost decide the league or leave it very open. For us it is like a final, only a win will do."
Madrid could be boosted by the return of Gareth Bale from injury, but the fact the Welshman may not be risked is a further sign that Real have far more room for error.
Bale has been sidelined by an inflammation of the muscles around where he suffered ligament damage in his right ankle that kept him out for three months earlier in the season.
"He will be with us on Sunday," said Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane.
"You will see tomorrow what team we are going to start with."
Should Bale not start, the on-form Isco is favourite to take his place, as he did for Madrid's thrilling 4-2 Champions League win over Bayern Munich after extra-time in midweek.
Centre-backs Raphael Varane and Pepe are Madrid's only injury absentees meaning Zidane is expected to name the same starting XI as against Bayern.
"It is another important game. There is a lot of tiredness, but also a lot of excitement and desire to keep doing what we are doing," added the Frenchman.
Only victory will salvage Barca's season just four days after crashing out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage to Juventus.
However, Enrique called on his players to embrace that challenge as an extra stimulus rather than be cowered by the pressure at the Bernabeu.
"For some it means it is a very attractive challenge and for others it means pressure," he said.
"I prefer to take it as an attractive and marvellous challenge. It's a chance to move level on points with Madrid."
AP, Milan :Cristiano Ronaldo ended his San Siro hoodoo to help Juventus to a 2-0 win after AC Milan forward Gonzalo Higuain missed a penalty against his former team on Sunday.Higuain left Juventus in the offseason following the signing of Ronaldo and he had a nightmare game as he was ...
THE directives to ensure discipline in traffic system issued by higher authorities have failed to bring any result. The traffic rule violation is still rampant. Almost all directives addressing owners and workers of city service buses and human haulers, pedestrians and drivers went unheeded. If the traffic management system returns ...
The death toll in wildfires sweeping California has risen to 31, with more than 200 people still unaccounted for, officials have said.Six more people were confirmed killed in the Camp Fire in the north of the state, taking the toll there to 29.That fire now equals the deadliest on record ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :It was earlier fixed that Raihan Rafi directed and Jaaz Multimedia produced movie Dohon was scheduled to release on November 16. Later releasing date was changed to November 30. Owner of Jaaz Abdul Aziz confirmed the matter yesterday. Main theme of the story was given by him ...
Actor Akshya Kumar recently announced the entire cast of India’s first space film Mission Mangal. The film is set to go on floors next month and will be helmed by Jagan Shakti. Besides Akshay as the main lead, Mission Mangal has an impeccable leading cast that includes names like Vidya ...
Hundreds of Iranian women attended a crunch football match in Tehran, in a rare step seen Sunday as a "victory" by local newspapers and hailed by FIFA as an "historic and festive day" for the sport.About a thousand women were allowed into Azadi Stadium late Saturday to watch Iranian giant ...
ANOTHER woman was killed in a running bus on Friday night. This time her father was also pushed off the vehicle on Dhaka-Tangail highway in Savar. The incident may remind one of the rape and murder of law student Rupa Khatun inside a running bus in Tangail over a year ...
Reuters, London :Prime Minister Theresa May was under growing pressure on Sunday to change her plan for Britain to leave the European Union to avoid defeat in a parliamentary vote.With both Britain and the EU suggesting an agreement is close, eurosceptic lawmakers and a leading member of a small Northern ...
Entertainment Desk :One of the top actresses of the country Pori Moni will be featured in Gias Uddin Selim's new web series titled, 'Preeti.' The Dhallywood star will be seen playing a role of investigative journalist in this upcoming crime thriller. In 'Preeti,' Pori Moni will unveil the crime world and ...
UNB , Wolfsburg, Germany :Nobel laureate professor Muhammad Yunus has set a 20-year timeline to build a new civilisation alongside replacing the "greed-driven" society which will help remove enormous amount of "frustration and gloom"."Twenty years, that's the timeline. It's possible," he said urging all to start the countdown to that ...
AFP, Colombo :Sri Lanka plunged deeper into crisis Saturday after President Maithripala Sirisena called a snap election, leaving the country facing a further two months of damaging political paralysis with a pair of bitter rivals claiming to run his government.In what opponents condemned as an illegal move, Sirisena dissolved parliament ...