Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:57:57 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Players boycott Australia A tour in pay dispute

By AFP, Sydney
07th-Jul-2017       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »


Australia's players on Thursday boycotted this month's Australia A tour to South Africa, escalating a bitter pay dispute which threatens to derail senior tours to Bangladesh and India as well as this year's home Ashes.
The Australia Cricketers' Association (ACA) said the players were unavailable to tour South Africa for the Australia A team without an agreed pay deal or new Memorandum of Understanding, after their existing contracts with Cricket Australia expired on June 30 following months of increasingly acrimonious wrangling.
"It is with great frustration that with no progress towards resolving the current dispute, Australia A players confirm they will not tour South Africa," ACA said in a statement.
"This decision is made in support of more than 200 male and female players who are now unemployed."
Cricket Australia (CA) said it was disappointed with the players' decision not to go on the A team tour of South Africa.
"CA regrets that players have made this decision despite progress made in talks between CA and the ACA in meetings over the past week, including regular communication between CEOs," it said in a statement.
"While a new MOU has not yet been agreed, CA is of the view that these talks should have enabled the tour to proceed as planned."
CA said it has advised Cricket South Africa of the players' decision.
- 'Sacrifice' -
The players, selected for the Australia A tour starting on July 12, had been training this week with captain Usman Khawaja and hoping for an end to the impasse before their scheduled departure on Friday.
The tour was to include four-day matches and a limited overs tri-series, also involving India A.
Australia A's squad of 19 for both formats included Test players Glenn Maxwell and Jackson Bird as well as Khawaja.
"By making this call, the Australia A players have sacrificed their own ambitions for the collective -- an incredibly selfless act that shows their strength and overall commitment to the group," the ACA said.
There are fears now that the pay row could scupper next month's Test tour to Bangladesh, the one-day international series in India in September and even the Ashes against England, which are due to begin with the first of five Tests in Brisbane in late November.
CA and the players' union hit an impasse after the board attempted to scrap a 20-year-old arrangement giving cricketers a fixed share of revenues, in favour of dividing surpluses among elite players and offering a pay rise.
Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has urged the parties to extend the old deal for 12 months to allow for more negotiations in a bid to break the damaging standoff.
CA said it will continue to work towards a new MOU and called on the ACA to show "the flexibility clearly now needed to achieve that outcome."

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Smart schools to make education easier


FOR the first time in the country, the government on November 15 introduced the 'Smart School' at Pirpur village of Alokdia Union Parishad in Chuadanga Sadar Upazila spending Tk 5 lakh. The Smart School concept is comparatively a new idea in our country. But in the developed countries it is ...

City »

Jatiya Party Chairman Hussain Muhammad Ershad taking interview of the nomination seekers of the party for the eleventh parliamentary elections at its office in the city's Banani on Tuesday.


.

Entertainment »

#MeToo: Preity Zinta apologises for hurting sentiments


Preity Zinta has apologised for her views on the #MeToo movement during an interview with a Bollywood website. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the actor claimed that despite being a supporter of the movement, her comment was taken out of context."My reason for saying 'I wish something like this ...

International »

British PM`s N Irish allies up pressure over Brexit


AFP, London :British Prime Minister Theresa May gathers her new-look cabinet Tuesday, facing some relief from party plotting over Brexit but under fresh pressure from her Northern Irish allies.The Conservative leader holds her first cabinet meeting since two ministers quit last week over the divorce deal with the European Union, ...

Football »

Northern Ireland's Corry Evans (left) goes on to score against Austria during the UEFA Nations League soccer match between Northern Ireland and Austria at Windsor Park in Belfast on Sunday.


International »

HK democracy leaders pleaded not guilty in Umbrella movement trial


AFP :Three leading Hong Kong democracy campaigners pleaded not guilty on Monday to public nuisance charges over their involvement in massive rallies calling for political reform, as room for opposition in the semi-autonomous city shrinks under an assertive China.The pioneering trio are among nine activists all facing public nuisance charges ...

Editorial »

Four killed in Narsingdi: Who will take responsibility?


FOUR people were killed and 50 others injured in two separate clashes between two factions of locals in Raipura upazila of Narsingdi on Friday last. Of the dead Tofayel Rana -- an SSC examinee from Bashgari High School -- and three others Morom, Sohrab and Swapan were killed in gun ...

City »

Prime Minister's Security Affairs Adviser Major General (Retd) Tarique Ahmed Siddique and Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nizamuddin Ahmed pose for a photo session with the participants of a seminar on ‘Maritime Good Governance towards Sustainable Development’ at Hotel Radisson Blu in the city on Monday.


Entertainment »

Mehazabien changes one`s life


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Mehazabien Chowdhury has already established herself in the field of acting that directors always want to keep in engage with works. If Mehazabien likes story and character she always tries to work. After Mizanur Rahman Aryan’s Boro Chhele, Mehazabien became more selective in the selection of story ...

City »

Bangladesh Army Chief Aziz Ahmed inspcting parade on occasion of endorsing regimental colour to Adhoc 11 Bangladesh Infantry Regiment (Machanised ) at CMP Center and School Parade Ground in Savar Cantonment yesterday.


Cricket »

BCB President Nazmul Hassan assumes rotating ACC Presidency


President of Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Nazmul Hassan Papon MP assumed the post of Asian Cricket Council (ACC) President for a two- year term at its Annual General Meeting held in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Saturday.Nazmul Hassan Papon is the 3rd ACC President from Bangladesh following in the ...

Cricket »

England win second Test against Sri Lanka to seal series


AFP, Kandy :Jack Leach's first five-wicket haul clinched an overwhelming win for England in the second Test against Sri Lanka on Sunday that sealed the series with a match to go.England needed just 30 minutes on the fifth day to take the final three wickets with Leach fittingly getting last ...

Editorial »

US-China trade war : An opportunity for BD to expand businesses and attract FDI


THE ongoing trade war between the US and China has created a better opportunity for Bangladesh, especially for garment sectors. The exporters have been receiving a greater number of work orders from both China and the US. The current trade war has opened an opportune moment for us (Bangladesh) as ...

International »

Sri Lankan President seeks talks to end power struggle


AFP, Colombo :Sri Lanka's President Maithripala Sirisena on Sunday called crucial talks with political leaders in a bid to end a power struggle with the prime minister he sacked last month.The Indian Ocean nation has been paralysed since October 26 when Sirisena deposed Ranil Wickremesinghe as premier and replaced him ...

International »

No ‘final conclusion’ on Khashoggi killing, say US


AFP, Washington  :The US government has not reached a final conclusion over the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, the State Department said Saturday following reports that the CIA had held the Saudi Crown Prince responsible."Recent reports indicating that the US government has made a final conclusion are inaccurate," State Department spokeswoman ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news