Saturday, November 25, 2017 09:48:31 AM
Md Abdul Wahhab Miah J
Md Imman Ali J
Abdul kalam (Md)
Md Mohiuddin and
May 19th, 2015
Code of Civil Procedure (V of 1908)
Order VII, rule 11
Specific Relief Act (I of 1877)
The deposit of the balance consideration of the contract before filing -a suit for specific performance of the contract is a condition precedent and that having not been done in the case, that suit was barred under section 21A(b) of the Act. The plaint was liable to be rejected under Order VII, rule 11 of the Code. . ..... (8)
Khair Ejaj Masud, Advocate instructed by Zainul Abedin, Advocate-on-Record-For the Petitioner.
Habibul Islam Bhuiyan. Senior Advocate instructed by Bivash Chandra Biswas, Advocate-on-Record-For Respondent No. 1.
Md Abdul Wahhab Miah J : This petition for leave to appeal has been filed by the plaintiff against the judgment and order dated the 19th day of May, 2010 passed by a Single Bench of the High Court Division in Civil Revision No. 5887 of 2007 discharging the Rule.
2. The petitioner as the plaintiff filed Other Suit No. II of 2006 in the Court of Joint District Judge, 1st Court, Kishoregonj for specific performance of the contract.
3. Respondent No. I got him added as defendant No.2 and filed an application therein under Order VII, rules II of the Code of Civil Procedure for, rejection of the plaint mainly on the ground that the suit was barred under provision of section 17B of the Registration Act, 1908 and section 21A of the Specific Relief Act, 1877.
4. The application was objected by the plaintiff by filing written objection. The learned Joint District Judge by his order dated 30-9-2007 rejected the application. Against the order of the learned Assistant Judge, the defendants filed Civil Revision No 5887 of 2007 before the High Court Division and obtained the Rule.
5. A Division Bench of the High Court Division by the impugned judgment and order made the rule absolute, set aside the order passed by the learned Joint District judge and rejected the plaint, hence this petition for leave to appeal.
6. Heard Khair Ejaj Masud, learned Advocate, for the petitioner and Habibul Islam Bhuiyan, learned Advocate, who entered caveat on behalf of respondent No. 1 perused the order of the learned Joint District Judge as well as the impugned judgment and order.
7. The High Court Division rejected the plaint relying on section 21A(b) of the Specific Relief Act, in short, the Act which has provided that no contract for sale of any immovable property can be specifically enforced unless the balance amount of consideration of the contract is deposited in the Court at the time of filing the suit for specific performance of the contract (emphasis supplied). The High Court Division also noticed that the suit was instituted on 2-4-2006 long after coming into force of the amended provision of section 21A(b) of the Act, and "the balance amount of consideration of the impugned contract for sate was not deposited in the Court at the time of filing of the suit rather it is during pendency of the suit and long after one year five months and 28 days , i.e. on 30-9-2007 the balance amount of Taka 2(two) lacs was deposited before the Court with its permission."
8. We have considered the provision of section 21 A(b) of the Act. The language of the section is so unambiguous that it does not require any interpretation to come to conclusion that in case or failure of depositing the balance amount at the time of filing the suit or specific performance of the contract, the suit cannot be maintained. Even then, from the impugned judgment and order, it appears that the High Court Division considered various decisions of this Court and of the Indian jurisdiction and came to the finding that the deposit of the balance consideration of the contract before filing a suit for specific performance of the contract is a condition precedent and that having not been done in the instant case, that suit was barred under the provision of section 2IA(b) of the Act. Therefore, the plaint was liable to be rejected under Order VII, rule 11 of the Code of Civil Procedure. We find no error with the view taken by the High Court Division in view of the language used in section 21 A(b) of the Act.
9. However, it appears that with the permission of the Court, the plaintiff deposited the balance consideration of Taka 2,00,000 of the contract. Therefore, we direct the trial Court to return the said amount to the plaintiff without any delay.
With the above direction, the petition is dismissed.
THE presence of pollutant particles in Dhaka's air has become quite high with alarm signals to public health. It was even higher than Delhi and Beijing on last Wednesday, as per a report in a national daily. We know Delhi had closed schools and put other emergency measures only last ...
AFP, Brisbane :Skipper Steve Smith led a rescue mission to revive Australia's fortunes after a top-order batting collapse in the Ashes Test against England in Brisbane on Friday.Home hopes rested on Smith to mount a fighting rearguard after the loss of four wickets in a faltering chase after England's first ...
Campus Report :The University of East London (UEL) Bangladesh Alumni Network, UK held its Annual London Event at its Stratford campus on November 20 this year. This was an engaging and encouraging event which brought UEL graduates from Bangladeshi ethnicity, their family and friends together. All the major Bangladeshi community ...
The Independent :Russia had "leverages of pressure" over Donald Trump, Israeli intelligence officials were reportedly told earlier this year by their US counterparts.Members of Mossad, the nation's foreign espionage agency, and other Israeli intelligence officials, attended a meeting at the CIA headquarters at Langley, Virginia, shortly before Mr Trump's inauguration ...
AFP, Beijing :China has traditionally rejected US-style interventionism, but its deepening economic involvement in volatile countries like Myanmar and Zimbabwe is thrusting Beijing towards a more assertive global role, analysts say.China's foreign policy has been guided by its principle of "non-interference in other countries' internal affairs", which emerged in 1954 ...
Entertainment Desk :Bari Siddiqui (born 15 November 1954 - 23 November 2017) was a Bangladeshi singer-songwriter, flutist and folk musician.Personal life:Siddiqui had a daughter, Elita Siddiqui and a son, Sabbir Siddiqui.Early life and career:Siddiqui got his formal vocal training at the age of 12 under Gopal Dutt of Netrokona. Since ...
Sports Reporter :Pace bowling sensation Mustafizur Rahman will play for Rajshahi Kings against Comilla Victorians in AKS BPL Twenty20 Cricket tomorrow at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chittagong. The match begins at 1.00 pm.After getting injury in shoulder, Mustafizur Rahman could not take part in the AKS BPL T20 Cricket ...
APPARENTLY not content with being confined to public universities and colleges, Bangladesh Chhatra League, the student front of ruling party Awami League now moves to form committees at secondary schools. It has asked all its organisational units to set up committees in such schools in their respective areas, as per ...
AFP, Sochi :Russian President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday there was a need for compromise on all sides to end Syria's civil war, announcing plans for a congress of regime and opposition figures he insisted would reinvigorate a hobbled peace process.Such a meeting between representatives of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and ...
AP, Washington :Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told radio host Hugh Hewitt that humanity is "racing headfirst into a new era of artificial intelligence" without sufficient preparations of how that will impact the world."Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, a lot of really smart people are sounding an alarm ...
While many women in Hollywood are coming out with their sexual misconduct stories, Jennifer Lawrence recently looked back at her own invasion of privacy. The 27-year-old Oscar winner revisited the iCloud hack in 2014 that put her nude photos onto the web in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter's ...
Literature Desk :Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi was a 13th century Persian poet and a Sufi mystic. He is regarded as one of the greatest spiritual masters and poetical intellects. Born in 1207 AD, he belonged to a family of learned theologians. He made use of everyday life’s circumstances to describe the ...
Coriander powder and star anise powder and is assorted with cooked rice. A perfect main dish recipe, this biryani is best served hot with raita for a tempting dinner, and is a true bliss for non-veg lovers.Ingredients " 2 pinches saffron" 2 green cardamom" 1/2 cup ghee" 1 bay leaf" ...