Sunday, February 25, 2018 07:39:47 AM
Md Abdul Wahhab Miah J
Md Imman Ali J
Abdul kalam (Md)
Md Mohiuddin and
May 19th, 2015
Code of Civil Procedure (V of 1908)
Order VII, rule 11
Specific Relief Act (I of 1877)
The deposit of the balance consideration of the contract before filing -a suit for specific performance of the contract is a condition precedent and that having not been done in the case, that suit was barred under section 21A(b) of the Act. The plaint was liable to be rejected under Order VII, rule 11 of the Code. . ..... (8)
Khair Ejaj Masud, Advocate instructed by Zainul Abedin, Advocate-on-Record-For the Petitioner.
Habibul Islam Bhuiyan. Senior Advocate instructed by Bivash Chandra Biswas, Advocate-on-Record-For Respondent No. 1.
Md Abdul Wahhab Miah J : This petition for leave to appeal has been filed by the plaintiff against the judgment and order dated the 19th day of May, 2010 passed by a Single Bench of the High Court Division in Civil Revision No. 5887 of 2007 discharging the Rule.
2. The petitioner as the plaintiff filed Other Suit No. II of 2006 in the Court of Joint District Judge, 1st Court, Kishoregonj for specific performance of the contract.
3. Respondent No. I got him added as defendant No.2 and filed an application therein under Order VII, rules II of the Code of Civil Procedure for, rejection of the plaint mainly on the ground that the suit was barred under provision of section 17B of the Registration Act, 1908 and section 21A of the Specific Relief Act, 1877.
4. The application was objected by the plaintiff by filing written objection. The learned Joint District Judge by his order dated 30-9-2007 rejected the application. Against the order of the learned Assistant Judge, the defendants filed Civil Revision No 5887 of 2007 before the High Court Division and obtained the Rule.
5. A Division Bench of the High Court Division by the impugned judgment and order made the rule absolute, set aside the order passed by the learned Joint District judge and rejected the plaint, hence this petition for leave to appeal.
6. Heard Khair Ejaj Masud, learned Advocate, for the petitioner and Habibul Islam Bhuiyan, learned Advocate, who entered caveat on behalf of respondent No. 1 perused the order of the learned Joint District Judge as well as the impugned judgment and order.
7. The High Court Division rejected the plaint relying on section 21A(b) of the Specific Relief Act, in short, the Act which has provided that no contract for sale of any immovable property can be specifically enforced unless the balance amount of consideration of the contract is deposited in the Court at the time of filing the suit for specific performance of the contract (emphasis supplied). The High Court Division also noticed that the suit was instituted on 2-4-2006 long after coming into force of the amended provision of section 21A(b) of the Act, and "the balance amount of consideration of the impugned contract for sate was not deposited in the Court at the time of filing of the suit rather it is during pendency of the suit and long after one year five months and 28 days , i.e. on 30-9-2007 the balance amount of Taka 2(two) lacs was deposited before the Court with its permission."
8. We have considered the provision of section 21 A(b) of the Act. The language of the section is so unambiguous that it does not require any interpretation to come to conclusion that in case or failure of depositing the balance amount at the time of filing the suit or specific performance of the contract, the suit cannot be maintained. Even then, from the impugned judgment and order, it appears that the High Court Division considered various decisions of this Court and of the Indian jurisdiction and came to the finding that the deposit of the balance consideration of the contract before filing a suit for specific performance of the contract is a condition precedent and that having not been done in the instant case, that suit was barred under the provision of section 2IA(b) of the Act. Therefore, the plaint was liable to be rejected under Order VII, rule 11 of the Code of Civil Procedure. We find no error with the view taken by the High Court Division in view of the language used in section 21 A(b) of the Act.
9. However, it appears that with the permission of the Court, the plaintiff deposited the balance consideration of Taka 2,00,000 of the contract. Therefore, we direct the trial Court to return the said amount to the plaintiff without any delay.
With the above direction, the petition is dismissed.
AFP, Beirut :Air strikes and rocket fire hit the Syrian rebel enclave of Eastern Ghouta for a seventh straight day on Saturday after the United Nations again delayed a vote on a ceasefire.The Damascus government launched a devastating bombardment of the enclave just outside the capital last Sunday that has ...
Aid workers have identified 32 victims of human trafficking so far at Rohingya camps in Cox's Bazar and also reported lack of access to basic services and self-reliance opportunities - especially for women and girls increasing the risk of trafficking. If such risks were assessed from the very beginning when ...
Former adult film actress Sunny Leone made a swift move into the Hindi film industry in 2012. And now the Indo-Canadian actress is all set to make her debut in a Tamil film. She says south Indian films would help her grow as a person and an actress. Sunny, whose ...
REMARKS by Indian Army Chief, Gen. Bipin Rawat on Thursday that a 'planned influx' of people from Bangladesh into India's north-east is underway as part of a proxy war by Pakistan with support from China, so to keep the area disturbed. Moreover, he also said migration from Bangladesh are happening ...
Priyanka Chopra has decided to cut ties with billionaire diamond trader Nirav Modi's brand following the news about the alleged banking fraud carried out by him. "In the light of recent allegations, Priyanka Chopra has chosen to terminate her contract with the Nirav Modi brand," a spokesperson of Priyanka, who ...
AP, Washington :Dramatically escalating the pressure and stakes, special counsel Robert Mueller filed additional criminal charges Thursday against President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman and his business associate.The filing adds allegations of tax evasion and bank fraud and significantly increases the legal jeopardy facing Paul Manafort, who managed Trump's campaign ...
Human rights group Amnesty International has accused Donald Trump of "hateful" politics and of being a threat to human rights. "President Trump takes actions that violate human rights at home and abroad," the group said. Amnesty put Mr Trump in the same group as the leaders of Egypt, Russia, China, ...
PHYSICIANS must provide treatment, President Abdul Hamid said to common people at affordable cost so that no one remained deprived of receiving treatment for lack of money. He made the call while addressing the third convocation of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University in the city on Monday. He has also ...
Oscar-winning actress Alicia Vikander said she loves "independent and arthouse" cinema, but is also attracted towards the big adventure films.The actress, who will be soon seen as Lara Croft in the forthcoming film 'Tomb Raider', also shared that she found training and muscle-building exercise for the role, empowering. "My mother, ...