Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 05:55:05 AM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Diplomacy must work in Korean peninsula

By
19th-Oct-2017       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

THE Korean peninsula is closer to war again as a North Korean official reaffirmed on Monday Pyongyang's commitment to developing a long-range intercontinental ballistic missile capable of reaching "all the way to the East coast of the mainland US." He said his country is currently not interested in diplomacy with the US until it achieves that goal, as per international media reports.

President Trump is serious to carry out a pre-emptive strike on the North this moment but Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense and such other senior administration officials are still committed to try diplomacy until the first weapon fired. We believe that the volatile situation must be held under check because such war involving nuclear warheads will destroy the region.

North Korea is not ruling out diplomacy, but wants to send a clear message that the DPRK has a reliable defensive and offensive capability to counter any aggression from the United States, as per reports quoting North Korean officials. The comments offer a sobering challenge to the US and the Trump administration giving mixed messages regarding diplomatic efforts with North Korea. White House Chief of Staff John Kelly said Americans should be concerned about North Korea's ability to reach the United States with an intercontinental ballistic missile, cryptically telling reporters that if the threat grows "beyond where it is today, well, let's hope that diplomacy works."

Significantly, Kelly noted that Pyongyang "is developing a pretty good nuclear re-entry vehicle. "For a missile to successfully strike a target it would have to re-enter the earth's atmosphere without breaking up. Kelly's comments seem to indicate that the US believes North Korea is close to achieving what would be a key breakthrough for their missile program.

A North Korean official is said to have stated that two additional steps are needed to achieve its goal of a reliable ICBM. Last week, North Korean state media renewed a threat to launch missiles toward the US territory of Guam, warning that "reckless moves" by the US would compel Pyongyang to take action.

It appears that North Korea is ignoring President Donald Trump's warning of decisive US response with 'fire and fury' and the way it is proceeding with new missile programme on test pad may trigger the war in the peninsula any time now. Trump with his unpredictable temper may start it while senior administration officials and Congress are trying to limit the President's power to order the first strike without broad-based approval.  Its cost may be too big for the US and its two allies - Japan and South Korea in addition to the North in terms of devastation and loss to human life.     Many believe North Korea would not use the weapons first. Kim values his regime's survival above all else and knows the use of a nuclear weapon would start a war he could not win. So the US should avoid war and wait.   


Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Why youths taking life risk to get a job in foreign lands?


STATE Minister for Foreign Affairs yesterday said the government has taken zero tolerance policy against illegal migration. "Our government will not tolerate any illegal practices in migration. Even a single case of harassment and a life lost is important... one success story of reaching Europe illegally cannot be an example ...

City »

Bangladesh Sammilita Peshajibi Parishad formed a human chain in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Tuesday demanding release and proper treatment of BNP Chief Begum Khaleda Zia.


Football »

Japan's Honda quits Melbourne Victory after one season


AFP, Melbourne :Japanese superstar Keisuke Honda Tuesday announced he will leave Melbourne Victory this week after one season as he pursues new challenges.The former AC Milan striker, one of the highest profile names in Asian football, was an instant hit with fans, with his early season form drawing rave reviews.However, ...

International »

India's Congress urges workers to ignore ominous exit polls, be vigilant


Reuters, New Delhi :India's main opposition Congress party has told its workers not to lose heart and to remain vigilant at vote-count centers after exit polls predicted a clear election victory for Prime Minister Narendra Modi.The counting of votes cast in the seven-phase general election will take place on Thursday, ...

National »

EED implements Tk 2259.12 cr uplift schemes in Rajshahi divn


BSS, Rajshahi :Education Engineering Department (EED) has implemented 5403 schemes involving around Tk 2259.12 crore in over last ten years in all eight districts under Rajshahi division.Implementation works of 503 other schemes are progressing with an estimated cost of around Tk 210.45 crore. Mijanur Rahman Engineer of EED, here said ...

Business & Economy »

Gazi Yar Mohammed, Agent Banking Head of ONE Bank Limited and Meskat Hossain Rakib, Director of Piickme Limited, exchanging an agreement signing document at the corporate office of the Bank in the city recently. Under the deal, OK Wallet customers will be able to make ride sharing payment and enjoy cash back and attractive prizes.


Entertainment »

Sonam Kapoor's first look from Cannes 2019


Bollywood actor Sonam Kapoor took time out for a brand photoshoot on her day two of Cannes 2019. The actor shared photos from the French Riviera on her social media accounts. Her sister Rhea Kapoor too shared photos as the Bollywood diva got ready for the photoshoot of a perfume ...

Entertainment »

It is holiday time for Sreelekha


Sreelekha Mitra is on a summer break. The actress, who was busy dubbing for films, has finally wrapped up her work and is chilling at her place right now. "Gorome ami dysfunctional hoye jai," she told us, adding, "I just finished dubbing Anik Dutta's Barunbabur Bandhu. While the film mainly ...

Editorial »

Save farmers, buy rice directly from them


DESPITE prevailing agony and dissatisfaction among the farmers across the country over the low price of paddy than their cost, the government has no plan to compensate or complying farmers' demand to procure directly instead of mediators - the millers. In the last couple of days we see farmers are ...

Football »

Mbappe wants responsibility, 'maybe at PSG, maybe elsewhere'


AFP, Paris :Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe fuelled speculation surrounding his future on Sunday, saying that he wants "responsibilities, maybe at PSG, maybe elsewhere".The 20-year-old backed up his excellent 2018 World Cup, where he scored four times as France won the trophy, by netting 38 times for PSG this season.He ...

International »

Russia air strikes kill 10 civilians in northwest Syria


AFP, Syria :Clashes between regime forces and jihadists raged Monday on the edge of the region held by Syria's former Al-Qaeda affiliate, following the deadly air raids overnight, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.The Idlib region controlled by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham is supposed to be protected from a government ...

City »

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina being greeted with bouquet by the leaders of Buddhist community at Ganobhaban on Monday on the occasion of Buddha Purnima , a religious festival of the community.


Entertainment »

Mamo in new telefilm


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :In last Boishakh, National Film Award winner actress Zakia Bari Mamo’s acting was highly appreciated among the viewers in role of Anonna in Shihab Shahin directed web series titled Chena Pother Oporichita. During that time her acting was also appreciated in Sardar Rokon directed drama Tui Theke ...

Football »

Qatar officials say 48-team World Cup will not be 'imposed'


AFP, Doha :The organisers of the 2022 Qatar World Cup said on Saturday that "there will be no decision imposed" on the country to extend the tournament to 48 teams.Anticipation is mounting ahead of the final decision, due to be announced in Paris at the beginning of June, whether to ...

Editorial »

Protect the rivers from grabbers


THE National River Conservation Commission has warned a dozen of government officials for their inaction to free the River Meghna from grabbers and take action within seven days. The Commission had earlier directed the authorities to take action against the grabbers but nothing had happened. Frustrated, the Commission on May ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news