Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Thursday, May 23, 2019 02:03:28 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Top US officials say Trump needs no new authority to fight terror

photo by AP photo

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis (L) and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (R) testify to lawmakers on US warfighting authorities

By
01st-Nov-2017       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AFP, Washington :
President Donald Trump's top military and foreign policy advisers insisted Monday that he has no need for a new Congressional authority to allow US forces to wage a global war against jihadists.
US lawmakers are considering updating or repealing the Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) passed on September 14, 2001, three days after the attacks on New York and Washington by Al-Qaeda hijackers.
This would help them claw back their constitutional authority to pronounce on decisions of war and peace, but Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis insisted this would be premature and unnecessary. "The United States has the legal authority to prosecute campaigns against the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and associated forces, including ISIS, and is not currently seeking any new or additional congressional authorization for the use of force," Tillerson told senators.
"The 2001 AUMF remains a cornerstone for ongoing US military operations and continues to provide legal authority relied upon to defeat this threat."
Mattis agreed, and both senior figures insisted that if Congress seeks to replace the AUMF, it must not do so until another authorization is ready to immediately and seamlessly replace it, to provide legal cover for ongoing operations and the detention of suspects.
"We cannot put a firm timeline on conflict against an adaptive enemy who would hope that we haven't the will to fight as long as necessary," Mattis warned.
"This is a fight against a transnational enemy, one that does not respect international borders and does not place geographic limits on their areas of operations."
Since the AUMF was passed, three presidents in succession have relied on the order's authority-and that of a subsequent 2002 AUMF-as they launched operations against armed Islamist groups in far-flung battle zones around the world. Critics have long contended that George W. Bush, Barack Obama and now Donald Trump have exceeded the terms of an authorization initially aimed at Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda organization.
When four US soldiers were killed in an ambush by militants in Niger this month, many Americans were surprised to learn the Pentagon has deployed hundreds of troops in West Africa.
Some lawmakers are now pushing to reassert Congress's right, under the US Constitution, to decide when and where the United States can go to war, in the face of some White House resistance.
On Monday, Mattis and Tillerson brought the message to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, chaired by Republican Senator Bob Corker, a Trump critic.
Corker said lawmakers were split on the path forward, unable to "bridge the gap" between those who want to craft a new, limited AUMF, and those who believe that "constraining the commander in chief in wartime is unwise."
Senator Ben Cardin, the committee's top Democrat, warned there was increasing opposition to an endless military authorization that essentially greenlights a "global endless shadow war."
In August, both Mattis and Tillerson testified behind closed doors on the same topic and Corker subsequently said they'd been "open" to the idea of revisiting the issue.
Since then, however, Corker has fallen out with Trump and become an open critic of the president, and calls for new oversight on US operations in Africa, the Middle East and Asia have grown.
In September, anti-war Republican Senator Rand Paul attempted to pass an amendment to a funding bill that would have repealed the AUMF.
Democratic committee member Senator Tim Kaine grilled Mattis and Tillerson over the extent of US military operations, in the wake of the deaths of four US service members in Niger this month.
"I think it's a forever war, and I worry deeply about handing the power to presidents to do this without consulting Congress," Kaine said, as he called for extensive public debate and a vote on an AUMF bill he crafted with Republican Senator Jeff Flake.
Flake added: "Congress needs to weigh in."
Paul asked Mattis and Tillerson no questions but instead lectured them about their desire for "blanket" war authority.
He also called on his congressional colleagues to "resist" administrations that claim "the ability to have pre-emptive war, anywhere, any time."
"I am here to say very forcefully it is not your power," Paul told Trump's lieutenants.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

BB failing to lead banking sector


WHEN there are huge frustrations among the political circle, civil society members and the ordinary masses over ongoing banking irregularities, at that time the High Court has halted the loan rescheduling facilities for defaulters till June 23, earlier offered by the central bank, the Bangladesh Bank. The HC on Tuesday ...

Sports »

With the world at her feet, Osaka takes Paris in her stride


AFP, Paris :Twelve months ago at Roland Garros, an embarrassed Naomi Osaka bristled at being hailed as the 'coolest thing' in tennis.Now, however, the 21-year-old Japanese returns to Paris as comfortably the sport's hottest ticket with the world number one billing, a bank balance bursting at the seams and on ...

International »

Top officials say US doesn't want war with Iran


AP, Washington :Top Trump administration officials have told Congress that recent actions by the U.S. have deterred Iranian attacks on American forces. But some lawmakers remain deeply skeptical of the White House approach in the Middle East.After Tuesday's closed-door briefings on Capitol Hill, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Acting ...

Entertainment »

Samantha Akkineni’s Oh Baby first look unveiled


The first look of Samantha Akkineni’s upcoming film Oh Baby is unveiled on a special occasion. Suresh Productions, one of the reputed banners of the Telugu Film Industry, which was established by late producer Rama Naidu, has completed 55 years in the industry. On the occasion of this big day, ...

Editorial »

Why youths taking life risk to get a job in foreign lands?


STATE Minister for Foreign Affairs yesterday said the government has taken zero tolerance policy against illegal migration. "Our government will not tolerate any illegal practices in migration. Even a single case of harassment and a life lost is important... one success story of reaching Europe illegally cannot be an example ...

City »

Bangladesh Sammilita Peshajibi Parishad formed a human chain in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Tuesday demanding release and proper treatment of BNP Chief Begum Khaleda Zia.


Football »

Japan's Honda quits Melbourne Victory after one season


AFP, Melbourne :Japanese superstar Keisuke Honda Tuesday announced he will leave Melbourne Victory this week after one season as he pursues new challenges.The former AC Milan striker, one of the highest profile names in Asian football, was an instant hit with fans, with his early season form drawing rave reviews.However, ...

International »

India's Congress urges workers to ignore ominous exit polls, be vigilant


Reuters, New Delhi :India's main opposition Congress party has told its workers not to lose heart and to remain vigilant at vote-count centers after exit polls predicted a clear election victory for Prime Minister Narendra Modi.The counting of votes cast in the seven-phase general election will take place on Thursday, ...

National »

EED implements Tk 2259.12 cr uplift schemes in Rajshahi divn


BSS, Rajshahi :Education Engineering Department (EED) has implemented 5403 schemes involving around Tk 2259.12 crore in over last ten years in all eight districts under Rajshahi division.Implementation works of 503 other schemes are progressing with an estimated cost of around Tk 210.45 crore. Mijanur Rahman Engineer of EED, here said ...

Business & Economy »

Gazi Yar Mohammed, Agent Banking Head of ONE Bank Limited and Meskat Hossain Rakib, Director of Piickme Limited, exchanging an agreement signing document at the corporate office of the Bank in the city recently. Under the deal, OK Wallet customers will be able to make ride sharing payment and enjoy cash back and attractive prizes.


Entertainment »

Sonam Kapoor's first look from Cannes 2019


Bollywood actor Sonam Kapoor took time out for a brand photoshoot on her day two of Cannes 2019. The actor shared photos from the French Riviera on her social media accounts. Her sister Rhea Kapoor too shared photos as the Bollywood diva got ready for the photoshoot of a perfume ...

Entertainment »

It is holiday time for Sreelekha


Sreelekha Mitra is on a summer break. The actress, who was busy dubbing for films, has finally wrapped up her work and is chilling at her place right now. "Gorome ami dysfunctional hoye jai," she told us, adding, "I just finished dubbing Anik Dutta's Barunbabur Bandhu. While the film mainly ...

Editorial »

Save farmers, buy rice directly from them


DESPITE prevailing agony and dissatisfaction among the farmers across the country over the low price of paddy than their cost, the government has no plan to compensate or complying farmers' demand to procure directly instead of mediators - the millers. In the last couple of days we see farmers are ...

Football »

Mbappe wants responsibility, 'maybe at PSG, maybe elsewhere'


AFP, Paris :Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe fuelled speculation surrounding his future on Sunday, saying that he wants "responsibilities, maybe at PSG, maybe elsewhere".The 20-year-old backed up his excellent 2018 World Cup, where he scored four times as France won the trophy, by netting 38 times for PSG this season.He ...

International »

Russia air strikes kill 10 civilians in northwest Syria


AFP, Syria :Clashes between regime forces and jihadists raged Monday on the edge of the region held by Syria's former Al-Qaeda affiliate, following the deadly air raids overnight, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.The Idlib region controlled by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham is supposed to be protected from a government ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news