Wednesday, November 14, 2018 06:16:24 PM
Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic enter Wimbledon plagued by injury fears and self-doubt, leaving Roger Federer convinced that this could be a golden opportunity to capture a record eighth title.
World number one Nadal, fresh from a record ninth French Open, was Wimbledon champion in 2008 and 2010 and runner-up in 2006, 2007 and 2010.
But his last two visits have been humiliating disasters.
The Spaniard suffered his first-ever opening round exit at a Grand Slam in 2013 to Belgian journeyman Steve Darcis, who was ranked 135 and has not won a main tour match since.
Twelve months earlier, the world's 100th best player, big- hitting Lukas Rosol, put him out in the second round, a defeat which precipitated a seven- month absence from the sport for the man from Mallorca.
Rosol could be a second round opponent this year.
The 28-year-old Nadal hinted at another Wimbledon letdown in the immediate aftermath of his triumph over Djokovic in the French Open final two weeks ago, when he claimed his 14th major, and this weekend hinted at more trouble to come.
"I've said before this is really the most dangerous tournament of the year," said Nadal, who has been seeded second despite his world number one status. "When I arrive at Roland Garros I have already played for one month on clay. I played a lot of matches. So more or less I can imagine how I am going to play.
"Here, especially the beginning of the tournament, the courts are a little bit faster. The feeling on court is a little bit strange for everybody. The match is decided in a few balls, so you need to convert the small opportunities that you have."
Nadal, who faces Slovakia's Martin Klizan in the first round, suffered an opening exit on grass at Halle last week, a straight- sets defeat by German world number 85 Dustin Brown.
World number two Djokovic, who won his only Wimbledon title in 2011 and was runner-up to Andy Murray in 2013, has not played a grasscourt warm- up event since 2010.
The 27-year-old Serb won the last of his six majors at the Australian Open in 2013 and his latest thwarted attempt to win a first French Open represented his seventh defeat in 13 finals at the majors.
Wrist injury concern - Even more worryingly, Djokovic has now lost five of his last six Grand Slam finals.
Djokovic has been handed the top seeding for Wimbledon and
starts against Kazakh journeyman Andrey Golubev, who he has
defeated twice in as many meetings.
But he admits he still fears that a right wrist injury may return to haunt him.
"Right now I don't feel any pain. But I felt like when I'm changing surfaces, especially from clay to grass, in the opening few days of the practice here got a little bit of a strange sensation in the wrist," he said.
Murray, having become the first British man since Fred Perry in 1936 to win Wimbledon when he trounced Djokovic in straight sets last year, goes into the tournament with his form also giving cause for concern.
The world number five, who recently hired Amelie Mauresmo as coach, hasn't reached another final since his moment of history 12 months ago and lost in the third round at Queen's Club last week to the 35-year-old Czech, Radek Stepanek.
"The difference between this year and last year is that I've played a lot of matches on clay in the last couple of weeks this time," said Murray, who made the semi-finals at the French Open, losing to Nadal, and who faces Belgium's David Goffin in the Wimbledon first round.
"Last year I had about a week to 10 days' preparation on grass before Queen's."
Murray has been seeded third, above seven-time champion Federer, who may have more reasons for being confident about an eighth title, having captured the Halle grasscourt trophy for the seventh time.
The 32-year-old, who won the last of his 17 majors at Wimbledon in 2012, hopes his success in Germany is a sign of things to come in south-west London. "On grass, I feel like if I play my game it's more on my racquet. I feel I have a very good chance again this year," said Federer, who starts against Italy's Paulo Lorenzi who has never won a match at a major.
Wayne Rooney says he is honoured to make a final appearance for England and happy for manager Gareth Southgate to decide his playing time Thursday against the United States.Former Manchester United star Rooney, in video comments released Monday by his Major League Soccer club DC United, detailed his excitement at ...
Reuters, Beijing :No country can block China's cooperation with island nations in the Pacific and the area is no country's sphere of influence, a senior diplomat said on Tuesday, ahead of a summit between President Xi Jinping and Pacific island leaders.Australia, in particular, has been vying for influence with China ...
Reuters, Gaza :Israel launched more air strikes on Gaza on Tuesday as Palestinians kept up rocket fire on Israeli territory, in the worst surge of violence since a 2014 war.The fighting - that has killed six Palestinians, five of them militants, and a civilian in Israel since Monday -threatened to ...
Jannatul Ferdous Oishee crowned 'Miss Bangladesh 2018' on November 30. Now, she is in China for participating in the 'Miss World' beauty contest. There she will represent Bangladesh. On Saturday night at 1:00 am, Oishi left Dhaka for Sanya in China. And she reached there on Sunday morning.Swapan Chowdhury, chairman ...
AP, Milan :Cristiano Ronaldo ended his San Siro hoodoo to help Juventus to a 2-0 win after AC Milan forward Gonzalo Higuain missed a penalty against his former team on Sunday.Higuain left Juventus in the offseason following the signing of Ronaldo and he had a nightmare game as he was ...
THE directives to ensure discipline in traffic system issued by higher authorities have failed to bring any result. The traffic rule violation is still rampant. Almost all directives addressing owners and workers of city service buses and human haulers, pedestrians and drivers went unheeded. If the traffic management system returns ...
The death toll in wildfires sweeping California has risen to 31, with more than 200 people still unaccounted for, officials have said.Six more people were confirmed killed in the Camp Fire in the north of the state, taking the toll there to 29.That fire now equals the deadliest on record ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :It was earlier fixed that Raihan Rafi directed and Jaaz Multimedia produced movie Dohon was scheduled to release on November 16. Later releasing date was changed to November 30. Owner of Jaaz Abdul Aziz confirmed the matter yesterday. Main theme of the story was given by him ...
Actor Akshya Kumar recently announced the entire cast of India’s first space film Mission Mangal. The film is set to go on floors next month and will be helmed by Jagan Shakti. Besides Akshay as the main lead, Mission Mangal has an impeccable leading cast that includes names like Vidya ...
Hundreds of Iranian women attended a crunch football match in Tehran, in a rare step seen Sunday as a "victory" by local newspapers and hailed by FIFA as an "historic and festive day" for the sport.About a thousand women were allowed into Azadi Stadium late Saturday to watch Iranian giant ...
ANOTHER woman was killed in a running bus on Friday night. This time her father was also pushed off the vehicle on Dhaka-Tangail highway in Savar. The incident may remind one of the rape and murder of law student Rupa Khatun inside a running bus in Tangail over a year ...