Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Sunday, July 21, 2019 02:53:28 AM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Barcelona hold on for draw at Celta Vigo after Roberto sent off

By AFP, Madrid
19th-Apr-2018       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

Lionel Messi was thrown on as a substitute but 10-man Barcelona were relieved to escape with a draw as Celta Vigo came within a whisker of inflicting the Catalans' first league defeat of the season on Tuesday.
Messi was introduced after an hour at the Stade Balaidos and looked to have inspired another Barca victory when Paulinho gave the visitors a 2-1 lead four minutes later.
But Sergi Roberto was sent off for preventing Iago Aspas sprinting clear and in the 82nd minute the former Liverpool striker made it 2-2, albeit with a large slice of luck given the ball brushed his hand on its way into the net.
Vigo pushed for a late winner and should have had it when substitute Lucas Boye went through one-on-one but he took too long and Marc-Andre Ter Stegen made a crucial stop.
"I think we deserved to win the game," Celta Vigo coach Juan Carlos Unzue said.
Earlier, a superb strike from Ousmane Dembele had been cancelled out by Jonny Castro's close-range finish as Barcelona stretched their record unbeaten run to 40 La Liga games.
They also extend their lead at the top of the table to 12 points, which could be cut to nine if Atletico Madrid beat Real Sociedad on Thursday.
"You always have to accept a point but our intention was to win," Barca coach Ernesto Valverde said afterwards.
"When we lost Sergi, we had difficulties but it is one more point. We need only two more victories and we have to fight for them."
With one eye on Saturday's Copa del Rey final against Sevilla, Valverde made several changes to his Barca starting line-up as the likes of Messi, Luis Suarez, Gerard Pique, Samuel Umtiti, Sergio Busquets and Ivan Rakitic were all rested.
"There were players who came from playing a lot of games and I thought it suited us," Valverde said. "Let's see if we can give our fans some joy on Saturday."
Ter Stegen, Philippe Coutinho and Dembele were the more established names selected and Dembele took his chance, capping an excellent attacking display with a brilliantly taken goal in the 39th minute.
Coutinho played wide to Paco Alcacer whose return ball was bouncing as Dembele controlled and sent a dipping half-volley into the corner.
On the stroke of half-time, however, Vigo were level. Andre Gomes gave the ball away and then, after the break developed, allowed Maximiliano Gomez to fire in a cross, which Castro bundled in.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Administrative control over ACC only to happy the corrupts


ANTI-GRAFT campaigner Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) has expressed deep concern and extreme disappointment over the government's decision for making Deputy Commissioners as authorised officers to oversee the Anti-Corruption Commission's work in the districts. The move will undoubtedly restrict the ACC's ability to fight graft and proper investigation into allegations of ...

Sports »

Penny drops for Canada's teen swim queen Oleksiak


Canada's Penny Oleksiak insists she has finally left the "weirdness" of capturing Olympic swimming gold at the tender age of 16 after finally recovering from a lengthy Rio hangover. Oleksiak, who is preparing for the world championships which begin in South Korea this weekend, stunned the sport when she dead-heated ...

International »

Thousands rally in support of Hong Kong police


AP, Hong Kong :Tens of thousands of people rallied in support of Hong Kong's police and pro-Beijing leadership on Saturday, a vivid illustration of the polarisation coursing through the city after weeks of anti-government demonstrations.Hong Kong has been rocked by more than a month of huge and largely peaceful protests-as ...

International »

US offers $7m to find Hezbollah agent as Pompeo visits Argentina


AFP, Buenos Aires :The United States on Friday offered a $7 million reward to find a Hezbollah operative accused of masterminding a deadly 1994 attack on a Jewish center in Buenos Aires, as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sought to unite Latin American nations against the militants.Pompeo visited to mark ...

Entertainment »

Shilpa Shetty to return to the big screen after twelve years


Shilpa Shetty is all set to make a comeback on the big screen after a gap of twelve years. The actress was last seen in Dharmendra, Sunny and Bobby Deol starrer Apne (2007). Before jetting off on a holiday with family, Shilpa has green lit filmmaker Aziz Mirza's son Haroon ...

Editorial »

Corruption in WASA crosses all limits


THE Anti Corruption Commission has identified eight projects and three areas in Dhaka WASA where corruption takes place. The State enterprise keeps extending deadlines and increasing the costs of its projects to create room for corruption. In many cases, WASA did not carry out its work as per project designs ...

International »

UN reaches agreement with Yemen rebels to resume food deliveries


AFP, United Nations :The World Food Program has reached an agreement in principle with Yemen's Huthi rebels to resume food aid to areas they control, the agency's chief said on Thursday.Malnutrition is widespread in Yemen after four years of civil war, but the UN suspended deliveries of food aid to ...

Entertainment »

Shabnam Parvin’s Hurmoti film to be released after Eid


Entertainment Report :Viewers’ choice popular actress Shabnam Parvin has made a movie titled Hurmoti which is based on her own written story. Shabnam Parvin herself played the title role in the movie. Al Monjur wrote dialogue while script was also written by Shabnam Parvin herself. Shabnam Parvin informed that against ...

Editorial »

China funded projects: Delay would create problems


A JOINT working group has been formed to probe the slow progress of the 27 projects involving around $20 billion that China had agreed to provide during President Xi Jinping's Dhaka visit in October 2016. China has so far disbursed only $981.36 million -- less than 5 percent of the ...

Football »

Infantino reacts to Blatter criticism over Africa cleanup


AP, Cairo :FIFA president Gianni Infantino hit back at Sepp Blatter's criticism of the world soccer body's cleanup operation in Africa as a modern-day form of "colonialism."Infantino response on Thursday was: "I have to laugh about it."Blatter, the former head of FIFA who is serving a six-year ban from soccer, ...

City »

A vital portion of highway in Uttara near Armed Police Office is in dilapidated condition where big potholes and cracks following incessant rains for the last few days and works relating to metro-rail project, other development works. This photo was taken on Thursday.


International »

US against any country purchasing Russia's S-400 defence system: Pentagon


PTI, Washington :The US is keen to make its defence partnership with India stronger, the Pentagon has said, but made it clear that it is against any country purchasing military equipment, including the S-400 missile defence system from Russia, that is designed to counter America's sophisticated fifth-generation aircraft.The remarks by ...

International »

Sea-Watch captain Rackete faces Italian prosecutor over migrant rescue


AFP, Agrigento :German captain Carola Rackete, who sparked international headlines by forcibly docking in an Italian port with rescued migrants, faces questioning by an Italian prosecutor on Thursday over allegedly aiding illegal immigration.The captain of the Sea-Watch 3 is expected to be questioned in the southern Sicilian town of Agrigento ...

Entertainment »

Poppy supports Bobita’s remark


Entertainment Report :Nick name of internationally acclaimed film actress Bobita is Poppy. Due to acting in the big screen Bobita had to sacrifice her name Poppy. On the other hand, after starting acting in movies Poppy could keep her original name. Poppy sometimes feels pleasure when she recalls the original ...

Editorial »

Ensure hassle-free higher education for them


THE results of this year's Higher Secondary Certificate and equivalent examinations under country's 10 education boards were announced yesterday where the combined pass rate rose by 7. 29 percent - that means it's now 73.93 per cent from last year's 66.64 per cent. The number of GPA-5 achievers in the ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news