Tuesday, December 18, 2018 08:28:58 PM
Dr. M Abul Kashem Mozumder and Dr. Md. Shairul Mashreque :
There is a symbiotic connection between production and consumption.. If production of any goods is at a discount consumers suffer a lot. Production of goods desired by the consumers must be sustainable. For example production of wholesome foods, cloths, house building material etc. lead to sustainable livings. Goal 12 of Sustainable development goal advocates Sustainable consumption and production "sustainable production and consumption can be defined as production and use of products and services in a manner that is socially beneficial, economically viable and environmentally benign over their whole life cycle. "
Sustainable consumption and production tantamount to promoting resource and energy efficiency, sustainable infrastructure, and providing access to basic services, green and decent jobs and a better quality of life for all. Its implementation is a must for overall development plans including reduction of future economic, environmental and social costs, strengthening economic competitiveness and reducing poverty.
There are scholarly research papers on sustainable consumption and production. We may mention some: Interface of sustainable production and consumption, Protein consumption and sustainability, sustainability through green design and practice, Fostering change to Sustainable consumption and production, Emerging design strategies in Sustainable consumption and production of textiles and clothing, the role of corporation in achieving ecological Sustainability, Sustainable consumption and production of sea food and consumption, environmental sustainability and human geography.
The goal 12 proclaims "doing more and better with less, increasing net welfare gains from economic activities by reducing resource use, degradation and pollution along the whole lifecycle, while increasing quality of life. It involves different stakeholders, including business, consumers, policy makers, researchers, scientists, retailers, media, and development cooperation agencies, among others." It advocates " a systemic approach and cooperation among actors operating in the supply chain, from producer to final consumer. It involves engaging consumers through awareness-raising and education on sustainable consumption and lifestyles, providing consumers with adequate information through standards and labels and engaging in sustainable public procurement, among others."
The UN raised the following points in connection withsustainable production and consumption:
· Each year, an estimated one third of all food produced - equivalent to 1.3 billion tonnes worth around $1 trillion - ends up rotting in the bins of consumers and retailers, or spoiling due to poor transportation and harvesting practices
· If people worldwide switched to energy efficient lightbulbs the world would save US$120 billion annually
· Should the global population reach 9.6 billion by 2050, the equivalent of almost three planets could be required to provide the natural resources needed to sustain current lifestyles
· Less than 3 per cent of the world's water is fresh (drinkable), of which 2.5 per cent is frozen in the Antarctica, Arctic and glaciers. Humanity must therefore rely on 0.5 per cent for all of man's ecosystem's and fresh water needs.
· Man is polluting water faster than nature can recycle and purify water in rivers and lakes.
· More than 1 billion people still do not have access to fresh water.
· Excessive use of water contributes to the global water stress.
· Water is free from nature but the infrastructure needed to deliver it is expensive.
· Despite technological advances that have promoted energy efficiency gains, energy use in OECD countries will continue to grow another 35 per cent by 2020. Commercial and residential energy use is the second most rapidly growing area of global energy use after transport.
· In 2002 the motor vehicle stock in OECD countries was 550 million vehicles (75 per cent of which were personal cars). A 32 per cent increase in vehicle ownership is expected by 2020. At the same time, motor vehicle kilometres are projected to increase by 40 per cent and global air travel is projected to triple in the same period.
· Households consume 29 per cent of global energy and consequently contribute to 21 per cent of resultant CO2 emissions.
· One-fifth of the world's final energy consumption in 2013 was from renewables.
· While substantial environmental impacts from food occur in the production phase (agriculture, food processing), households influence these impacts through their dietary choices and habits. This consequently affects the environment through food-related energy consumption and waste generation.
· 1.3 billion tonnes of food is wasted every year while almost 1 billion people go undernourished and another 1 billion hungry.
· Overconsumption of food is detrimental to our health and the environment.
· 2 billion people globally are overweight or obese.
· Land degradation, declining soil fertility, unsustainable water use, overfishing and marine environment degradation are all lessening the ability of the natural resource base to supply food.
· The food sector accounts for around 30 per cent of the world's total energy consumption and accounts for around 22 per cent of total Greenhouse Gas emissions.
In search of viable ways to create more sustainable diets, it is extremely valuable to analyse how people in various countries are supplied with dietary proteins from plant-based and animal-based sources. As a cross-national comparison of food ingredients may easily lead to misleading interpretations, it is crucial to opt for a multidisciplinary approach and to focus on countries that are spread across a bounded geographical area.
(Dr. M Abul Kashem Mozumder, Pro-VC, BUP and Dr. Md. Shairul Mashreque, Retired Professor, Chittagong University).
Entertainment Report : In the beginning of current year popular singer Ankhi Alamgir performed in Utsab at Jodhpur Park in Kolkata. In the meantime, she also went to Kolkata for several times. On December 14, she got the opportunity to perform as a leading singer of Bangladesh at outdoor pool ...
Mustafizur Rahman has made a big leap to enter into the top five ranks of ICC ODI bowling rankings. Other Bangladeshi players have also made progress in the rankings after the end of Bangladesh-Windies ODIs.The Fizz moved five places to no.5 in the rankings. He has career-best 695 points against ...
MALAYSIAN Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Sunday asked the ASEAN nations to take tough measures for creating pressure on Myanmar and its de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi to end atrocities against the Rohingya Muslims. More than 720,000 Rohingyas have fled Myanmar's strife-torn Rakhine State to Bangladesh since August ...
AP, Srinagar :Soldiers and police fanned out across Indian-controlled Kashmir on Monday to enforce a security lockdown for a second straight day to stop anti-India protests and foil a call by separatists for a march toward India's main military garrison in the disputed region.Government forces patrolled streets in the region's ...
AP, New Zealand :Tim Southee took 5-67 as New Zealand exploited an influential toss to contain Sri Lanka to 275-9 Saturday on the first day of the first cricket Test at the Basin Reserve.A late unbeaten half century by wicketkeeper Niroshan Dickwella helped swing the day a little in Sri ...
Liverpool and Egypt striker Mohamed Salah has capped a sparkling 2018 for club and country by winning the prestigious BBC African Footballer of the Year Award for the second time in a row."It's a great feeling to win again. I'm happy and I would like to win it also next ...
Actress Soundarya Sharma who made her stellar debut in Ranchi Diaries, a Comedy thriller film, and got a thumbs up from the critics and audience and awarded as the ‘Best Debutante’ at Jharkhand international film festival 2018. She was nominated for the ‘Best Female Debutante’ by Zee Cine Awards 2018 ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Popular TV actress of present time Ishana Khan has worked in four faction plays under same director's direction. She has finished shooting of these four plays under Satirtho Rahman Rubel’s direction. Shooting of these plays took place in Darjeeling from November last week to December first week. ...
THE nation celebrates the 48th Victory Day today amid festivity. Today, the nation will remember its glorious historical achievement earned through a nine-month war against Pakistan Occupation Forces in 1971. The nation will recall today, Bangladesh was born as an independent country under the leadership of Father of the Nation ...
Australia now recognises west Jerusalem as Israel's capital, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Saturday, but a contentious embassy shift from Tel Aviv will not occur until a peace settlement is achieved.Canberra became one of just a few governments around the world to follow US President Donald Trump's lead and recognise ...
Donald Trump announced Friday that his budget director Mick Mulvaney will step in as acting chief of staff to replace John Kelly - amid indications the president is struggling to fill the key post.Trump, whose presidency is increasingly embroiled in legal troubles, announced earlier this month that Kelly, a former ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :End of this year is becoming something new for the National Film Award winner actress Bidya Sinha Saha Mim. At the end of this year, she has started shooting of a new movie. Now she is staying in Bangkok to take part in shooting of the movie. ...