Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:16:07 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Ben Stokes named in England squad for third Test against India

By Agency
16th-Aug-2018       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

Ben Stokes has been added to England's squad for the third Test against India at Trent Bridge after a jury at Bristol Crown Court took less than three hours to find him not guilty of affray.
He and Alex Hales may yet be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by an independent cricket panel for their part in the brawl last September.
CCTV footage showed Stokes knocking out Ryan Ali in the street, while it emerged during the seven-day trial that he had also knocked unconscious Ali's friend Ryan Hale. It was also revealed that the Crown Prosecution Service had been unsuccessful in a late attempt to charge Stokes with actual bodily harm, which carries a maximum prison term of 10 years - seven more than affray.
Stokes maintained throughout that he had acted in self-defence, and his solicitor said he was now 'keen to get back to cricket being his sole focus'.
Until the cricket discipline commission gathers evidence, however - a process which may not be complete until the autumn - Stokes is available for selection, starting on Saturday.
The decision to add him to England's 13-man squad was taken after high-level internal discussions involving ECB chief executive Tom Harrison, national selector Ed Smith, coach Trevor Bayliss and captain Joe Root.
It will now be for Bayliss and Root to decide whether to hand their star all-rounder an instant return to the Test team and, if so, who to leave out from the side who convincingly won the second Test at Lord's.
An ECB statement said: 'Now the legal proceedings have concluded, the disciplinary process for Ben Stokes and Alex Hales can be scheduled by the cricket discipline commission. Considerable detail has been heard in this case and there will be a range of matters to consider.'
There is little chance the commission, headed by ex-Derbyshire batsman Tim O'Gorman, will be in a position to rule on the future of Stokes and Hales - who did not face a police charge - before the fifth Test, which is scheduled to end on September 11.
That would leave open the possibility of Stokes being banned from the tour of Sri Lanka - despite already having missed last winter's Ashes.
Stokes showed little emotion as the jury acquitted him, but his wife, Clare, and his agent, the former England batsman Neil Fairbrother, broke down in tears. Ali was also cleared of affray, and the two men shook hands.
Speaking outside court, Stokes's solicitor Paul Lunt spoke of an '11-month ordeal for Ben, during which he's had to maintain his silence at times when many… pre-determined his guilt'.
He added,  "The jury's decision fairly reflects the truth of what happened. Ben was minding his own business when he came across two men being subjected to what Ben identified as serious homophobic abuse."
"It was only when others came under threat that Ben became physically engaged. The steps that he took were solely aimed at ensuring the safety of himself or the others present."

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Maldives' people reject authoritarian rule and voted for democracy


MALDIVES strongman President Yameen Abdul Gayoom conceded that he lost Sunday's election to his challenger Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, in a speech broadcast live on television Monday, according to the international media. Mr Yameen congratulated Solih and said, "I know I have to step down now."  The Election Commission said voter ...

Cricket »

'Rashid is best but not unplayable' says Mahmudullah


Mahmudullah Riyad sorted out a vigorous 74 against Afghanistan rescuing Bangladesh from a plausible downfall.Mahmudullah Riyad and Imrul Kayes stood tall in the middle when the team was languishing losing all five in the top order in a score of 87 on the board. The duo added 128 runs in ...

International »

Thousands attend funeral for Iran attack dead


AFP :Tens of thousands of mourners attended a funeral on Monday in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz for soldiers and civilians killed in an attack on a military parade.Four militants attacked the Saturday parade marking the start of the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq war, spraying the crowd with gunfire and killing ...

International »

Hong Kong pro-independence party formally outlawed in first such move since handover


Reuters, Hong Kong  :Hong Kong authorities formally banned on Monday a group promoting independence from China - the first outlawing of a political organization since Britain handed its former colony back to Chinese rule in 1997.The city's Secretary for Security John Lee announced the ban on the Hong Kong National ...

City »

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina addressing a reception accorded to her by the expatriate Bangladeshis at a hotel in New York on Sunday.


Entertainment »

Mehazabien, Apurba in Puja special play


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Popular pair of the small screen of present time Mehazabien Chowdhury and Ziaul Faruk Apurba worked together in a special play of Durga Puja for the first time. Title of the play is Priyo Tumi. Directed by Mahmudur Rahman Himi story of the play is written by ...

Editorial »

Attack on Iran`s elite guards


IRANIAN Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei accused US-backed Gulf Arab states of carrying out a shooting attack on a military parade that killed 25 people, almost half of them members of the country's elite Revolutionary Guards. Khamenei ordered security forces to bring to justice those responsible for one of the ...

Sports »

Bertens defeats Tomljanovic to secure Korea Open win


AFP, Seoul :Kiki Bertens defeated Australia's Ajla Tomljanovic in the Korea Open final on Sunday, securing her third WTA Tour singles title of the season to continue her career-best year.The second-seeded Bertens came back from break down in the deciding set to defeat the Australian in two hours and 22 ...

International »

World leaders gather at UN under threat from unilateralism


AP, United Nations :With rising unilateralism challenging its very existence, the United Nations convenes its annual meeting of world leaders Monday and will try once more to tackle problems together as a community of nations, addressing threats ranging from Mideast conflicts to the effects of global warming - and also ...

City »

National Professor Anisuzzaman seen among others at the cover unveiling ceremony of a book marking the 80th birthday of eminent writer Hasan Azizul Haq organised by Bangladesh Culture at Jatiya Press Club yesterday.


Entertainment »

Nazira Mou to debut in film with Indraneil


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Viewers’ choice popular actress Nazira Mou has been acting in small screen for many days. She got many offers for acting in big screen. But she did not agree to act due to disliking stories and her roles in those works. When Mou got the proposal from ...

Editorial »

CPJ reveals weakness of journalists by appealing to President


THE Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) in a letter to the Bangladesh President has expressed deep concern about the Digital Security Act 2018, which was passed by the Parliament on September 18, and urged him to return it to Parliament for a review afresh.   If this legislation was allowed to ...

International »

Modi faces calls for resignation over French jet deal


Reuters, New delhi :Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi faced calls for his resignation over allegations of corruption in a military jet deal with France after former French president Francois Hollande was quoted as saying New Delhi had influenced the choice of a local partner.Indian political parties have been gunning for ...

International »

US official in Russia probe suggested taping Trump: Report


Reuters, Washington: The US official who oversees the federal investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 U.S. election suggested secretly recording President Donald Trump last year and recruiting Cabinet members to invoke a constitutional amendment to remove him from the White House, the New York Times reported on Friday.Deputy Attorney ...

Football »

Tabarez renews with Uruguay until Qatar World Cup


AFP, Montevideo :Despite failing health the veteran coach Oscar Tabarez has signed a four-year contract extension to remain at the Uruguay helm until the end of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, the South American country's football federation said on Friday.Tabarez, who suffers from a nerve disorder that forces him ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news