Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Sunday, August 18, 2019 02:09:13 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

South Korea, US sign cost-sharing deal for American troops

photo by AP photo

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Minist

By
11th-Feb-2019       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AP, Seoul :

South Korea and the United States struck a new deal Sunday that increases Seoul's contribution for the cost of the American military presence on its soil, overcoming previous failed negotiations that caused worries about their decades-long alliance.
South Korea last year provided about $830 million, covering roughly 40 percent of the cost of the deployment of 28,500 U.S. soldiers whose presence is meant to deter aggression from North Korea. President Donald Trump has pushed for South Korea to pay more.
On Sunday, chief negotiators from the two countries signed a new cost-sharing plan, which requires South Korea to pay about 1.04 trillion won ($924 million) in 2019, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The statement said the two countries reaffirmed the need for a "stable" U.S. military deployment amid the "rapidly changing situation on the Korean Peninsula." The ministry said the U.S. assured South Korea that it is committed to the alliance and has no plans to adjust the number of its troops in South Korea.
South Korea began paying for the U.S. military deployment in the early 1990s, after rebuilding its economy from the devastation of the 1950-1953 Korean War. The big U.S. military presence in South Korea is a symbol of the countries' alliance, forged in blood during the war, but also a source of long-running anti-American sentiments.
About 20 anti-U.S. activists rallied near the Foreign Ministry building in Seoul on Sunday, chanting slogans like "No more money for U.S. troops." No violence was reported.
"The United States government realizes that Korea does a lot for our alliance and peace and stability in the region," chief U.S. negotiator Timothy Betts said Sunday in Seoul. "We are very pleased our consultations resulted in agreement that will strengthen transparency and deepen our cooperation and the alliance."
The deal, which involves the spending of South Korean taxpayer money, requires parliamentary approval in South Korea, but not in the United States, according to Seoul's Foreign Ministry.
The allies had failed to reach a new cost-sharing plan during some 10 rounds of talks. A five-year 2014 deal that covered South Korea's payment last year expired at the end of 2018.
Some conservatives in South Korea voiced concerns over a weakening alliance with the United States at the same time as negotiations with North Korea to deprive it of its nuclear weapons hit a stalemate.
They said Trump might use the failed military cost-sharing negotiations as an excuse to pull back some U.S. troops in South Korea as a bargaining chip in talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Feb. 3 that he has no plans to withdraw troops from South Korea. During his election campaign, Trump suggested he could pull back troops from South Korea and Japan unless they took on greater a share of the financial burdens of supporting U.S. soldiers deployed there.
South Korean media earlier reported that Trump demanded South Korea double its spending for the U.S. military deployment, before his government eventually asked for 1.13 trillion won ($1 billion). Seoul's Foreign Ministry said the U.S. had called for a sharp increase in South Korean spending but didn't elaborate.
Trump announced last week that he will sit down with Kim for a second summit in Vietnam in late February. Their first summit in Singapore last June resulted in Kim's vague commitment to the "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," a term that his propaganda machine previously used when it argued it would only denuclearize after the U.S. withdraws its troops from South Korea.
Trump's top envoy for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, visited Pyongyang last week to work out details of the upcoming summit. After being briefed by Biegun about his Pyongyang trip, South Korea's presidential office said Sunday that U.S. and North Korean officials plan to meet again the week of Feb. 17 in an unidentified Asian country.
The U.S. military arrived in South Korea to disarm Japan, which colonized the Korean Peninsula from 1910-45, following its World War II defeat. Most U.S. troops were withdrawn in 1949 but they returned the next year to fight alongside South Korea in the Korean War..

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Jugglery of growth figures failed to create jobs


BANGLADESH'S economic growth though mesmerising, it has been proved over the past decade that jobs could not be created proportionately for the youths keeping adjustment with the growth. Besides, female participation in the labour force shrank in the last nine years, especially in rural areas. As a result employment elasticity, ...

Cricket »

Mashrafe seeks two months to ponder about his retirement


The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has shelved the idea of arranging a one-off ODI against Zimbabwe to give Mashrafe Bin Mortaza a grand farewell after the ODI captain asked the board to give him two months to think about his future.The decision to cancel the plan came after BCB president ...

Football »

Guardiola backs Sterling to reach 30-goal mark


AFP, Manchester :Pep Guardiola wants to see the on-form Raheem Sterling break the 30-goal barrier for the first time in his career this season, but will only judge the England forward on his overall contribution to the Manchester City team.Sterling has started the new campaign in prolific form, scoring in ...

City »

Bangabandu Sangskritik Jote paid tributes to Poet Shamsur Rahman by placing floral wreaths at his grave in the city's Banani on Saturday marking the 13th death anniversary of the poet.


International »

Hundreds defy restrictions, join protests in Kashmir


AP, New Delhi :Hundreds of people protested an unprecedented security crackdown and clashed with police Friday in Indian-controlled Kashmir, as India's government said it was constantly reviewing the situation in the disputed region and the restrictions there will be removed over the next few days.The U.N. Security Council met on ...

International »

Discussions on Afghan peace deal go ‘very well’, says Trump's spokesman


The White House says President Donald Trump's talks with his national security advisers to discuss Afghan peace talks went "very well" and that negotiations with the Taliban "are proceeding."Officials on August 16 said Trump was meeting with his top advisers to review negotiations with the extremist group about a possible ...

Entertainment »

Kona finally admits her secret marriage


Entertainment Desk :Popular singer Dilshad Nahar Kona revealed  on Thursday  that she had tied the knot with the person she loved, on April 21 of this year. Her husband, Golam Md Iftekhar, is a businessman, and has been in a relationship with Kona for seven years.Kona was heard saying to ...

Editorial »

Clashes among groups of govt followers on national mourning day


NEWSPAPERS reported that at least 22 people, including former Awami League lawmaker of Nilphamari-3 and upazila unit AL vice-president Golam Mustafa, were injured in a clash between two rival groups of the party in Jaldhaka of Nilphamari on Thursday. The clash took place when the groups hosted separate programmes to ...

City »

China-Bangla Friendship Association (CBFA) led by its President Dr Monouar Hasnat Khan and General Secretary Dr S.M Shahidul Islam placing wreaths at the Memorial Plaque of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at 32 , Dhanmondi in the city on Thursday marking National Mourning Day .


.

Cricket »

England 258 all out in second Ashes Test


AFP, London :England were dismissed for 258 by Australia in the second Ashes Test at Lord's on Thursday.Only opener Rory Burns (53) and wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow, last man out for 52, passed fifty after England were sent into bat by Australia captain Tim Paine following a total washout of Wednesday's ...

International »

Malaysia to question Zakir Naik for comments against Malaysian Hindus


Reuters, Kuala Lumpur :Malaysian authorities will summon controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik for questioning after he allegedly made racially sensitive remarks in the multi-ethnic nation, the government said on Thursday.The move comes after several ministers demanded Naik's expulsion on Wednesday after he said Hindus in Malaysia had "100 times more ...

Editorial »

Destroying biodiversity and its possible dangerous impact on human existence


BIODIVERSITY in Moulvibazar's Lathitila has been facing serious threat as settlers continue clearing forest areas for fruit cultivation and fish farming. According to newspaper reports, the vegetation at 5631.4 acres of land covered with hillocks is under continuous danger. Though only 30 landless families were allowed to settle inside the ...

Cricket »

BCB to discuss with Mashrafe about his retirement plan


The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will talk to Mashrafe Bin Mortaza within couple of days to know his retirement plan as the board has a plan to give the ODI captain a grand farewell.On multiple occasions, Mashrafe said he has not many cricket ahead, but he actually did not reveal ...

International »

Saudi woman activist rejects release deal tied to denying torture


Reuters, Riyadh :Prominent Saudi women's rights activist Loujain al-Hathloul has rejected a proposal to secure her release from prison in exchange for a video statement denying reports she was tortured in custody, her family said on Tuesday.Hathloul, along with at least a dozen other women's rights activists, were arrested over ...

International »

Pelosi vows to thwart US-UK trade deal if Brexit risks Irish peace


The top Democrat in the US Congress warned Wednesday that lawmakers would block a trade pact with Britain if its exit from the EU undermines Northern Ireland's peace accord.President Donald Trump and senior advisors to Britain's new Prime Minister Boris Johnson have spoken of fast-tracking a trade deal once Brexit ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news