Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:41:43 AM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Fresh evidence on military brutality in Rakhine

By
12th-Feb-2019       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

UNB, Dhaka :
Amnesty International (AI) has reported fresh evidence of violations amid ongoing military operation in Rakhine State and some 5,200 civilians have been displaced since December.
Myanmar security forces have shelled villages and blocked civilians from accessing food and humanitarian assistance in Rakhine State, AI said on Monday amid a crackdown since armed attacks by the "Arakan Army" in early January.
Security forces have also used vague and repressive laws to detain civilians in the area.
"These latest operations are yet another reminder that the Myanmar military operates without any regard for human rights. Shelling inhabited villages and withholding food supplies are unjustifiable under any circumstances," said Tirana Hassan, Director of Crisis Response at Amnesty International.
Amnesty International has received reports that army divisions involved in atrocities against the Rohingya in August and September 2017 have been deployed to Rakhine State again in recent weeks.
"Despite international condemnation of the Myanmar military's atrocities, all evidence suggests that they are brazenly committing yet more serious abuses," said Tirana Hassan.
These violations come after a UN Fact-Finding Mission called for the criminal investigation and prosecution of senior Myanmar officials for crimes under international law against
the Rohingya population in Rakhine State, and against ethnic minorities in Kachin and northern Shan States.
On January 4, Myanmar's Independence Day - an ethnic Rakhine armed group known as the Arakan Army carried out coordinated attacks on four police posts in northern Rakhine State, reportedly killing 13 police officers.
The Arakan Army has fought the military as part of an alliance of armed groups in northern Myanmar and, as it has moved its attention to Chin and Rakhine State in recent years, has clashed sporadically with security forces there.
Days after the 4 January attacks, Myanmar's civilian government instructed the military to launch an operation to "crush" the Arakan Army, which the government spokesperson referred to as a "terrorist organization".
According to the UN, more than 5,200 men, women and children had been displaced by the ongoing fighting by 28 January.
They are overwhelmingly from predominantly Buddhist ethnic minorities, including the Mro, Khami, Daingnet and Rakhine.
Amnesty International interviewed by telephone 11 people affected by the fighting, as well as humanitarian officials and local activists in Rakhine State.
Most said they fled their villages after the security forces shelled nearby or placed restrictions on food.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

We need a caring govt: Mere court's directions cannot go far


THE High Court Division on Tuesday directed the government to ensure setting up breastfeeding and baby care corners in the country's all the mills and factories. Most of the working women have to resign from jobs or take an attempt due to unavailability of baby care facilities at workplaces. When ...

Cricket »

Host Australia target fifth title at women's T20 World Cup


Mighty Australia go into their home Twenty20 World Cup this week as overwhelming favourites as they look to cement their superiority in women's cricket and draw a world-record crowd in the process.Meg Lanning's defending champions, and four-time winners, were rarely tested through the second half of 2019 when they whitewashed ...

Entertainment »

Baaghi 3’s new song Bhankas is surely the wedding song


After wowing the audience with the action packed trailer and the groovy number Dus Bahane 2.0, the makers of Baaghi 3 have released the latest song from the movie titled Bhankas. The new track, Bhankas is a remake of Bappi Lahiri’s original song and once again is set to break ...

International »

Sanders hopes early strength will prove he can beat Trump


AP, Las Vegas :Terry Reece has long been skeptical that voters would back Bernie Sanders, a 78-year-old self-described democratic socialist who is just months removed from a heart attack. Then the Vermont senator essentially tied for first place in the Democratic Party's Iowa caucuses and won its New Hampshire primary.That ...

International »

Britain unveils points-based immigration plan


Reuters, London  :Britain will prioritise access for high-skilled workers from around the world in its post-Brexit, points-based immigration system, the government said on Tuesday, setting out its plans to put an end to a reliance on "cheap labour from Europe".Concern over the impact of high levels of immigration from the ...

Editorial »

Food Safety Authority should be more active to root out prime causes of making foods toxic


BANGLADESH Food Safety Authority has found heavy metal presence in 63 samples of pesticide out of 67 tested recently. Some of the pesticides contained one milligram of heavy metal or even more per kilogram or per litre.  Some samples contained all of the three heavy metals: cadmium, chromium and lead. ...

Business & Economy »

Ziaul Hasan Siddique, Chairman of Sonali Bank Limited, presiding over its opening ceremony of a foundation course for newly appinted Senior Officer/Officer at the bank's Staff College in the city recently. Begum Masuma Akter, Principal of the college while DGM, AGM and other senior officials of the bank were also present.


City »

Eminent writer Emdadul Haque Milon giving autograph to children at the Ekushey Book Fair in the city's Suhrawardy Udyan on Tuesday.


City »

Army Chief General Aziz Ahmed speaking at the Regimental Colour awarding ceremony held at the 19 Infantry Division in Ghatail Cantonment on Tuesday.


Entertainment »

Guilty trailer: Sneak peek of Kiara Advani's Netflix film is bleh


The trailer of Netflix film Guilty is out, and by the looks of it, the movie lacks the punch of a thriller. The characters also lack the intrigue which is needed for a movie like this.Kiara Advani is Nanki - a rebellious, silver-haired songwriter who is part of a popular ...

Entertainment »

Tapas Pal passes away


The veteran actor in West Bengal Tapas Paul has passed away of cardiac arrest early Tuesday. He was 61.Recently, he had gone to Mumbai to visit his daughter. During his return to Kolkata, he complained of chest pain at the Mumbai airport and was rushed to a hospital in Juhu ...

International »

Iran sentences alleged US spies to 10 years in prison


AP, Tehran :Iran sentenced eight environmental activists, including an Iranian who reportedly also has British and American citizenship, to prison sentences ranging from four to 10 years on charges of spying for the United States and acting against Iran's national security, the judiciary said Tuesday.According to the judiciary spokesman, Gholamhossein ...

International »

UK Govt adviser quits over race comments


An adviser in British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office resigned on Monday after online comments resurfaced where he linked intellect to race and seemed to advocate a eugenics policy.Andrew Sabisky once suggested that black Americans had a lower average intelligence than white Americans.He also said in a 2014 web post ...

Sports »

Virat Kohli becomes first Indian with 50 million Instagram followers


LANS :Virat Kohli has become the first person from India to have 50 million followers on Instagram.The captain of the Indian men's cricket team is regarded as one of the best batsmen in the current generation. He has so far 930 posts on the picture-sharing website and is following 480 ...

Football »

Gary Neville expects Manchester City to win appeal against 'hopeless' UEFA


Gary Neville has backed Manchester City to win an appeal against a two-season ban from European competition imposed by a "hopeless" UEFA.European football's governing body announced on Friday that City has been banned from continental competition for two seasons for what UEFA said were "serious" financial fair-play breaches between 2012 ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news