Tuesday, June 2, 2020 12:51:02 PM
AFP, Caracas :
President Nicolas Maduro announced Wednesday an agreement with the International Committee of the Red Cross to bring humanitarian aid into Venezuela.
The oil-rich country is enduring acute shortages of food, medicine and other basics, and Maduro is locked in a power struggle with the increasingly popular leader of the opposition, national assembly speaker Juan Guaido.
In an about-face, Maduro said on national TV and radio that his government and the Red Cross had agreed "to work together with UN agencies to bring into Venezuela all the humanitarian aid that can be brought."
Maduro denies that Venezuela is suffering from a humanitarian crisis and blames US sanctions for its economic woes.
In January Guaido tried to lead a drive to bring in donated food and medicine from Colombia and Brazil but the effort failed as the army, which is loyal to Maduro, blocked shipments at the border.
Maduro argued that letting in such assistance, much of it provided by the US, would be the first step towards a US intervention.
On Wednesday he said this new aid campaign should be "managed without political maneuvering, without farcical politicization and through the channels of legality and respect."
The UN says a quarter of Venezuela's 30 million people are in urgent need of humanitarian aid.
A United Nations agency says 3.7 million Venezuelans are malnourished and 22 percent of children younger than age five suffer from chronic malnourishment.
Besides the shortages of food and medicine, Venezuela is saddled with hyperinflation that is running at an estimated 10 million percent this year. That leaves people's wages all but worthless.
Maduro is a former bus driver who worked his way up the political ranks and is the handpicked successor of the late socialist firebrand Hugo Chavez.
In his announcement Wednesday, Maduro said this new aid campaign should be "managed without political maneuvering, without farcical politicization and through the channels of legality and respect."
A quarter of Venezuela's 30 million people are in urgent need of humanitarian aid, an internal UN report said last month.
UN estimates say 3.7 million Venezuelans are malnourished and 22 percent of children younger than age five suffer from chronic malnourishment.
Besides the shortages of food and medicine, Venezuela is saddled with hyperinflation running at an estimated 10 million percent this year. That leaves people's wages all but worthless.
Last week the Red Cross issued a statement saying it was "concerned by the serious impact" that the situation in Venezuela was having on people especially those without access to basic services.
The government is saddled with a drop in revenue from oil-the source of 96 percent of its hard currency-and its banishment from financial markets because of US economic sanctions.
The US increased pressure on Maduro Wednesday as Vice President Mike Pence asked the United Nations to recognize Guaido as the legitimate leader of Venezuela, telling the Security Council: "Nicolas Maduro must go."
Washington will present a draft UN resolution aimed at recognizing the opposition leader, revoking the credentials of Maduro's UN envoy and appointing Guaido's representative as the ambassador to the world body, Pence told the council.
"The time has come for the United Nations to recognize interim president Juan Guaido as the legitimate president of Venezuela and seat his representative in this body," Pence said.
Maduro shot back by saying in a televised speech that he had seen Pence "making a fool of himself in the United Nations Security Council" with his appeal.
"I cannot understand his arrogance and self-importance, his racial supremacism," Maduro said.
He has maintained control with support from the military, Russia and China. Russia last month sent troops to Caracas, raising tensions between Washington and Moscow.
President Donald Trump has repeatedly said all options are on the table, hinting at US intervention in Venezuela.
Venezuel's collpase has driven more than 3.4 million people from the country and that figure is expected to reach 5.3 million by the end of the year, according to the UN.
THE overwhelming demand for Covid-19 tests has rendered the designated private facilities also unable to offer the tests to test seekers. Now 50 labs, including 17 private ones, are doing the Covid-19 RT-PCR tests after the number of government-run facilities was found inadequate to handle the pressure of the test ...
England winger Jadon Sancho scored a hat-trick and revealed a "Justice for George Floyd" protest message in Borussia Dortmund's 6-1 rout of bottom side Paderborn on Sunday that trimmed Bayern Munich's lead at the top of the Bundesliga to seven points.The outstanding Sancho, who now has 17 goals and 17 ...
National discard cricketer Sabbir Rahman denied the allegation of harassing a cleaner of Rajshahi City Corporation (RCC) physically as the news spread around social media outlets.Sabbir who earlier was banned a couple of times for his off the field misbehave, admitted, he had some verbal spat with the cleaner, something ...
Rishabh Tiwari is one of the brightest rising stars of the music industry today. The young singer, who has earlier delivered a couple of popular songs in the past, is back to regale the listeners with a new song titled Duniyadari. Talking about his new track, he says, “Presently, there ...
Entertainment Report :National Film Award winner actress Bidya Sinha Saha Mim had intention to launch her own YouTube channel many days ago. Due to her hectic working schedules she couldn’t launch the channel. At last, during the corona time she got the opportunity to launch her YouTube channel titled ‘Bidya ...
Alia Chughtai :On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the new coronavirus - which was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year - a pandemic.As of May 31, there were more than 6.1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to data collected by Johns ...
AMID rising infection and death due to Covid-19, the government mindlessly eased the clampdown in excuse of protecting the corruption-riddled economy, though millions of dollars poured for social safety net support went into the account of local political goons. A sharp contrast has been seen when the government opts to ...
Business Desk :Renowned industrialist and founder of Abdul Monem Group Abdul Monem Khan passed away at a city hospital on Sunday. He was 85.Sources said, he breathed his last at the Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka at around 10am.Monem left behind his wife, two sons, three daughters and a host ...
Former New Zealand captain and current Bangladesh spin bowling coach Daniel Vettori has asked the Bangladesh Cricket Board to give a part of his salary to low-income staffers to deal with the financial hardship caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury said Vettori has officially communicated ...
MEDIA reports on Saturday said Bangladesh government has sought justice from the internationally recognized Libyan government for the killing of 26 Bangladeshi nationals and the infliction of fatal injuries to 11 more in an incident in which a group of unruly militias opened fire on them in a desert. They ...
Sports Reporter :Former national cricketer Mohammad Ashraful became father of a baby boy on Friday last. It is his second baby. Earlier, Mohammad Ashraful became father in 2016. She is a baby girl. Her name is Ariba Tasneem Ashraful. Mohammad Ashraful gave a status on his Facebook on Friday. He ...
ACCORDING to the International Labour Organization (ILO) job prospects for the youth have been vastly reduced in Bangladesh. For youths to be provided paths for a positive future, education and skills training are essential. Young women workers -- who were already struggling in low-paid and informal sector jobs -- are ...