Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:45:38 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Billionaire wanted to orbit moon, but ended up in court

photo by

By
29th-May-2019       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

The Washington Post  :
Harald McPike had been to the North Pole. The South Pole. Climbed the tallest peak in Africa, the volcano that is the highest point on Earth and the mountain that's not Everest but gives you a great view of its deadly face. What was left? He wanted to hit the moon with a tennis ball.
So when the northern Virginia company Space Adventures told McPike he could get into lunar orbit for $150 million, the Bahamas-based, Austrian-born billionaire trader put down a $7 million deposit.
Five years later, McPike has settled a lawsuit against entrepreneur Eric Anderson's company after spending two years in litigation trying to get his deposit back. McPike's not going around the moon. When any private traveler might do so is unclear.
The lawsuit in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, shows how precarious the world of commercial space travel is, in which customers hoping for the ultimate exclusive vacation fund technological projects both uncertain and extremely expensive.
In litigation, lawyers for the company said McPike had bought not a seat but "an opportunity" to be part of a potential mission.
"It is an undeniable fact that the Russians have never sent a man around the Moon and that the U.S. had not done so in forty years," they wrote in one filing.
Space Adventures declined to comment for this story. In one court hearing, an attorney for the company said it is "not in the business of litigating, they're in the business of getting people to space."
Unlike Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin, Elon Musk's SpaceX and Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, Space Adventures is not trying to build its own tourist rockets. (Bezos owns The Washington Post.) The company contracts with the Russian government, which uses investments from tourists to modernize. NASA also buys seats on Russian rockets.
But Anderson, the co-founder and chairman, is the first and only entrepreneur to successfully send tourists - seven of them - to the International Space Station. He set out to be the first to get them to the moon.
Anderson has founded several other companies, with mixed success. Planetary Resources, an asteroid-mining project, floundered before being bought last year by a blockchain company. Planetary Power, which aimed to bring hybrid generators to places off the electric grid, folded.
Former board members of Space Adventures - now part of a company called Zero-Gravity Holdings - have complained that Anderson kept investors in the dark.
One shared with McPike emails airing concerns about lack of access to contracts and other information. In one 2013 email, highlighted by McPike, a Space Adventures attorney said he couldn't provide the company's contract with Russia for the "lunar voyage" because it did not yet exist.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Entertainment »

Momtaz is delighted for getting Nat’l award


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Last week was a memorable week for folk legend of the country Momtaz Begum. This Parliament Member received two national recognitions. For the first time, she became the top taxpayer of the country in category of singer. This information was disclosed on Wednesday. Finance Minister AHM Mustafa ...

Football »

Chelsea win battle to sign Australian women's football icon Kerr


Australian striker Sam Kerr will test herself at the top level of European football after impressing in her homeland and the United States as she joined Chelsea on Wednesday.The 26-year-old Matildas captain - who scored five times in this year's World Cup as the Australians reached the last 16 - ...

Editorial »

People need safe and reliable train service


IN Brahmanbaria's Kasba, Dhaka-bound inter-city train Turna Nishita Express by breaching traffic signal hit Chattogram-bound another inter-city train Udayan Express on Tuesday leaving 16 people dead and injured another 70 people. The nation was shocked witnessing the fatality of the accident. Different quarters have raised voice for not modernising the ...

International »

Senator Kamala Harris promises to lift cap for employment based green cards in US


PTI, Washington :Indian-origin US Senator Kamala Harris is in favour of lifting the existing per-country caps for employment based green cards, her presidential campaign has said, asserting that 95 per cent in line for legal permanent residency are primarily from India, China, the Philippines and Vietnam.Ms Harris' presidential campaign, which ...

City »

BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, among others, at a rally of professionals in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Tuesday demanding unconditional release of BNP Chief Begum Khaleda Zia.


Football »

Michael Brentan (front) of Italy looks to break past Pedro Lucas (center) of Brazil and Daniel Cabral (right) of Brazil during the FIFA U-17 World Cup quarter-final match between Italy and Brazil at the Olympic Stadium Goiania in Goiania, Brazil on Monday.


Football »

Ronaldo's fitness and attitude both under the spotlight


Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness and attitude has come under the spotlight after he reacted angrily to being substituted during Juventus' win over AC Milan and coach Maurizio Sarri said the 34-year-old had been nursing a knee injury for some time.Ronaldo now faces two matches with Portugal where he will want to ...

Editorial »

An innocent`s imprisonment


AFTER 27 days of imprisonment being wrongfully arrested by police, 19-year-old Rajan walked out on Monday. Police arrested Rajan Bhuiyan instead of Habibullah Rajan from the same village Gopalnagar, Brammanpara of Cumilla. The Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal ordered the Dhaka Central Jail authorities to set Rajan free. The tribunal also ...

Business & Economy »

Md. Monzur Mofiz, AMD of ONE Bank Limited, inaugurating its Banking Booth at Basundia crossing at Jashore sadar recently. High officials of the bank, Rezaul Islam Khan Russel, local Union Parishad Chairman and elites were also present.


Entertainment »

When Koushani shot daring scenes 180 feet deep inside a mine


Koushani Mukherjee who had to shoot some daring action sequences in her recently released 'Jaanbaaz' says despite the tough scenes she didn't use any dummy. "I didn't use a dummy. I gave my 100 per cent to the action scenes. It was over 40°C there and to add to our ...

Entertainment »

Kashmira Pardeshi to pair up with Bobby Simha


We had earlier reported that actor Bobby Simha will be playing the lead in an untitled film directed by debutant Ramanan Purushothama. The latest is that actress Kashmira Pardeshi, who made her debut in Tamil, in Sivappu Manjal Pachai opposite GV Prakash has been roped in played the female lead ...

Editorial »

Save the Sundarbans, it will protect us


THE Sundarbans, now most neglected world's largest mangrove forest, again has protected the country from the mighty storm 'Bulbul'. Not only the Bangladesh, the Sundarbans this time has also saved neighbouring India's West Bengal from an obvious deadly disaster.  The forest, renowned for its selfless deeds from the prehistoric time, ...

Entertainment »

Ananya Panday shines bright on cover of magazine


Ananya Panday is creating waves ever since her debut. The actress is shining bright on the November issue of a leading magazine. Earlier today, the new song from her upcoming movie was released and we can't stop grooving to the tunes! Brides Today magazine took to their social media to ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news