Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Thursday, November 14, 2019 09:13:36 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

US delegation to seek a cease-fire with Turkey and Kurds

photo by AP photo

Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrive at Andrews Air Force Base on Wednesday as they depart en route to Turkey.

By
18th-Oct-2019       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AP, Washington :
A senior U.S. delegation faces the herculean task of pressuring Turkey to accept a cease-fire in Northern Syria, hours after President Donald Trump declared the U.S. has no stake in defending Kurdish fighters who died by the thousands as America's partners against Islamic State extremists.
Vice President Mike Pence, heading a U.S. delegation that includes Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien, is set to arrive in Turkey Thursday afternoon, a day after Trump dismissed the very crisis he sent his aides on an emergency mission to douse.
Trump suggested Wednesday that a Kurdish group was a greater terror threat than the Islamic State group, and he welcomed the efforts of Russia and the Assad government to fill the void left after he ordered the removal of nearly all U.S. troops from Syria amid a Turkish assault on the Kurds.
"Syria may have some help with Russia, and that's fine," Trump said. "They've got a lot of sand over there. So, there's a lot of sand that they can play with."
He added: "Let them fight their own wars."
The split-screen foreign policy moment proved difficult to reconcile and came during perhaps the darkest moment for the modern U.S.-Turkey relationship and a time of trial for Trump and his Republican Party allies. Severe condemnation of Trump's failure to deter Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's assault on the Kurds, and his subsequent embrace of Turkish talking points about the former U.S. allies, sparked bipartisan outrage in the U.S. and calls for swift punishment for the NATO ally.
Republicans and Democrats in the House, bitterly divided over the Trump impeachment inquiry, banded together for an overwhelming 354-60 denunciation of the U.S. troop withdrawal. Many lawmakers expressed worry that the withdrawal may lead to revival of IS as well as Russian presence and influence in the area - in addition to the slaughter of many Kurds.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., publicly broke with Trump to call the U.S. relationship with the Kurds "a great alliance."
"I'm sorry that we are where we are. I hope the vice president and the secretary of state can somehow repair the damage," McConnell said Wednesday.
The White House disclosed that Trump had both cajoled and threatened Erdogan in an unusual letter last week, urging him to act only in "the right and humane way" in Syria. The letter was sent the same day Erdogan launched the major offensive against the Kurds.
Trump started on a positive note by suggesting they "work out a good deal," but then talked about crippling economic sanctions and concluded that the world "will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!"
Trump did place some sanctions Monday on Turkey for the offensive. But as his emissaries were departing to threaten even tougher actions in the days ahead, Trump appeared to undercut their negotiating stance. He said the U.S. has no business in the region - and not to worry about the Kurdish fighters.
"If Turkey goes onto Syria, that's between Turkey and Syria, it's not between Turkey and the United States," Trump said during an Oval Office meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella.
As he seeks to push Erdogan to agree to a cease-fire, Pence will confront doubts about American credibility and his own, as an emissary of an inconsistent president.
"Given how erratic President Trump's decision-making process and style has been, it's just hard to imagine any country on the receiving end of another interlocutor really being confident that what Pence and Pompeo are delivering reflects Trump's thinking at the moment or what it will be in the future," said Jeffrey Prescott, the Obama administration's senior director for Iran, Iraq, Syria and the Gulf states on the National Security Council and a former deputy national security adviser to former Vice President Joe Biden.
The withdrawal is the worst decision of Trump's presidency, said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who meets often with the president and is one of his strongest and most important supporters in Congress.
"To those who think the Mideast doesn't matter to America, remember 9/11 - we had that same attitude on 9/10/2001," Graham said
Even before Trump's comments, Erdogan had publicly stated that he will be undeterred by the sanctions and resisted calls for a cease-fire Wednesday, saying the fighting would end only if Kurdish fighters abandoned their weapons and retreated from positions near the Turkish border. If Pence can persuade Turkey to agree to a cease-fire, which few U.S. officials believed was likely, experts warn it will not erase the signal Trump's action sent to American allies across the globe or the opening already being exploited by Russia in the region.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Entertainment »

Momtaz is delighted for getting Nat’l award


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Last week was a memorable week for folk legend of the country Momtaz Begum. This Parliament Member received two national recognitions. For the first time, she became the top taxpayer of the country in category of singer. This information was disclosed on Wednesday. Finance Minister AHM Mustafa ...

Football »

Chelsea win battle to sign Australian women's football icon Kerr


Australian striker Sam Kerr will test herself at the top level of European football after impressing in her homeland and the United States as she joined Chelsea on Wednesday.The 26-year-old Matildas captain - who scored five times in this year's World Cup as the Australians reached the last 16 - ...

Editorial »

People need safe and reliable train service


IN Brahmanbaria's Kasba, Dhaka-bound inter-city train Turna Nishita Express by breaching traffic signal hit Chattogram-bound another inter-city train Udayan Express on Tuesday leaving 16 people dead and injured another 70 people. The nation was shocked witnessing the fatality of the accident. Different quarters have raised voice for not modernising the ...

International »

Senator Kamala Harris promises to lift cap for employment based green cards in US


PTI, Washington :Indian-origin US Senator Kamala Harris is in favour of lifting the existing per-country caps for employment based green cards, her presidential campaign has said, asserting that 95 per cent in line for legal permanent residency are primarily from India, China, the Philippines and Vietnam.Ms Harris' presidential campaign, which ...

City »

BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, among others, at a rally of professionals in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Tuesday demanding unconditional release of BNP Chief Begum Khaleda Zia.


Football »

Michael Brentan (front) of Italy looks to break past Pedro Lucas (center) of Brazil and Daniel Cabral (right) of Brazil during the FIFA U-17 World Cup quarter-final match between Italy and Brazil at the Olympic Stadium Goiania in Goiania, Brazil on Monday.


Football »

Ronaldo's fitness and attitude both under the spotlight


Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness and attitude has come under the spotlight after he reacted angrily to being substituted during Juventus' win over AC Milan and coach Maurizio Sarri said the 34-year-old had been nursing a knee injury for some time.Ronaldo now faces two matches with Portugal where he will want to ...

Editorial »

An innocent`s imprisonment


AFTER 27 days of imprisonment being wrongfully arrested by police, 19-year-old Rajan walked out on Monday. Police arrested Rajan Bhuiyan instead of Habibullah Rajan from the same village Gopalnagar, Brammanpara of Cumilla. The Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal ordered the Dhaka Central Jail authorities to set Rajan free. The tribunal also ...

Business & Economy »

Md. Monzur Mofiz, AMD of ONE Bank Limited, inaugurating its Banking Booth at Basundia crossing at Jashore sadar recently. High officials of the bank, Rezaul Islam Khan Russel, local Union Parishad Chairman and elites were also present.


Entertainment »

When Koushani shot daring scenes 180 feet deep inside a mine


Koushani Mukherjee who had to shoot some daring action sequences in her recently released 'Jaanbaaz' says despite the tough scenes she didn't use any dummy. "I didn't use a dummy. I gave my 100 per cent to the action scenes. It was over 40°C there and to add to our ...

Entertainment »

Kashmira Pardeshi to pair up with Bobby Simha


We had earlier reported that actor Bobby Simha will be playing the lead in an untitled film directed by debutant Ramanan Purushothama. The latest is that actress Kashmira Pardeshi, who made her debut in Tamil, in Sivappu Manjal Pachai opposite GV Prakash has been roped in played the female lead ...

Editorial »

Save the Sundarbans, it will protect us


THE Sundarbans, now most neglected world's largest mangrove forest, again has protected the country from the mighty storm 'Bulbul'. Not only the Bangladesh, the Sundarbans this time has also saved neighbouring India's West Bengal from an obvious deadly disaster.  The forest, renowned for its selfless deeds from the prehistoric time, ...

Entertainment »

Ananya Panday shines bright on cover of magazine


Ananya Panday is creating waves ever since her debut. The actress is shining bright on the November issue of a leading magazine. Earlier today, the new song from her upcoming movie was released and we can't stop grooving to the tunes! Brides Today magazine took to their social media to ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news