Tuesday, April 7, 2020 10:07:05 AM
AFP, Dubai :
At least 70 Yemeni soldiers have been killed in missile and drone attacks blamed on Huthi rebels, on a mosque in the central province of Marib, medical and military sources said Sunday.
Saturday's strike follows months of relative calm in the war between the Iran-backed Huthis and Yemen's internationally recognised government which is backed by a Saudi-led military coalition.
The Huthis attacked a mosque in a military camp in Marib-about 170 kilometres (105 miles) east of the capital Sanaa-during evening prayers, military sources told AFP.
A medical source at a Marib city hospital, where the casualties were transported, said that at least 70 soldiers were killed and more than 50 injured in the strike. The attack came a day after coalition-backed government forces launched a large-scale operation against the Huthis in the Naham region, north of Sanaa.
Fighting in Naham was ongoing on Sunday, a military source said according to the official Saba news agency.
"Dozens from the (Huthi) militia were killed and injured," the source added.
Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi condemned the "cowardly and terrorist" attack on the mosque, Saba reported.
"The disgraceful actions of the Huthi militia without a doubt confirm its unwillingness to (achieve) peace, because it knows nothing but death and destruction and is a cheap Iranian tool in the region," it quoted Hadi as saying. The Huthis did not make any immediate claim of responsibility and the Saba report did not give a death toll. The uptick in violence comes shortly after United Nations envoy Martin Griffiths welcomed a sharp reduction in air strikes and the movement of ground forces.
"We are surely, and I hope this is true and I hope it will remain so, witnessing one of the quietest periods of this conflict," he said in a briefing to the UN Security Council on Thursday.
"Experience however tells us that military de-escalation cannot be sustained without political progress between the parties, and this has become the next challenge."
A year after Yemen's warring sides agreed to a UN-brokered truce for the key Red Sea port city of Hodeida and its surroundings, fighting in the province has subsided but the slow implementation of the deal has quashed hopes for an end to the conflict.
The landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 had been hailed as Yemen's best chance so far to end the fighting that has pushed the country to the brink of famine.
Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in the war that has ravaged the country, triggering what the UN describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in the conflict to back the government against the Huthis in March 2015, shortly after the rebels seized control of Sanaa.
A senior UN official warned Thursday that certain key factors that threatened to trigger a famine in Yemen last year were once again looming large, including a plunge in the value of the national currency.
"With a rapidly depreciating rial and disrupted salary payments, we are again seeing some of the key conditions that brought Yemen to the brink of famine a year ago," Ramesh Rajasingham, who coordinates humanitarian aid in Yemen, told the UN Security Council.
"We must not let that happen again," he said.
Even for non-communicable diseases, the country's poor people are not getting proper treatment due to the high rise of medical expenses. On the other hand, the authorities showcased outstanding success in healthcare improvement and public health indicators as well as poverty reduction. A recent study had found that out-of-pocket health ...
England defender Kyle Walker is facing disciplinary action from English Premier League team Manchester City after appearing to break lockdown conditions during the coronavirus pandemic.The 29-year-old Walker apologized on Sunday after it was widely reported he held a party involving two sex workers at his home last week, breaking the ...
The coronavirus pandemic is set to deal a heavy blow to the country's overseas job market and the remittance flow as a large number of Bangladeshi migrants have already lost their jobs or were receiving low wages amid shutdowns enforced to contain the contagion. After different businesses were closed following ...
Economic Reporter:The government will sell subsidised rice at Tk 10 per kg in Dhaka from Sunday in an effort to help the poor during the shutdown due to the coronavirus outbreak.The special open market sale or OMS will begin in Mirpur's Rupnagar Jheelpar slum and Mohakhali's Shattola slum, the Food ...
The centrally contracted male and female players in England have opted to take a pay cut during the current global crisis, which has brought cricket to a standstill.With the COVID-19 pandemic threatening to sabotage the entire cricket season in England, centrally contracted players have opted to take a pay cut ...
AFP, Rio De Janeiro :Neymar has donated $1 million to fight the impact of the new coronavirus in his native Brazil, according to TV network SBT.The Paris Saint-Germain star, the world's third-highest-paid footballer, donated part of the money to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), and the rest to a ...
AT least a dozen people with different illnesses died in Dhaka and other places after they were refused treatment by doctors since March 8 when the first case of coronavirus was reported in the country. Many said a sense of insecurity caused by the persisting shortage of personal protective equipment ...
AFP, Paris :Olympic chiefs said Thursday they were bracing themselves for the extra costs incurred by rescheduling the Tokyo Games by a year to 2021.The historic decision to postpone the summer Olympics by 12 months was taken this week amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It was the first peacetime postponement ...
AFP, Montevideo:Uruguay star Luis Suarez complained on Thursday that he has been "hurt" by criticism of him and fellow millionaire Barcelona players for the time it took to agree to pay cuts to help out other club employees.Argentine superstar Lionel Messi announced on Monday that Barca's players had agreed to ...