Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Monday, January 20, 2020 01:21:03 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

`Sad` Prince Harry says no other option but to end royal role

photo by

By ONLINE DESK
20th-Jan-2020       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s Prince Harry spoke on Sunday of his sadness at being forced to give up his royal duties in a deal with Queen Elizabeth and senior Windsors that will see him and his wife Meghan exit official roles to seek an independent future.
Buckingham Palace and the queen announced on Saturday that Harry and Meghan would no longer be working members of Britain’s monarchy, no longer use their “Royal Highness” titles and would now pay their own way in life, freeing them to forge new careers.
The new arrangement was struck to end a crisis the couple sparked by announcing earlier this month they wanted to cut down on official engagements and spend more time in North America, while remaining active royals.
In a speech to the Sentebale charity on Sunday, a clearly upset Harry said the final outcome was not what he and his American wife, a former actress, had wanted.
“Our hope was to continue serving the queen, the Commonwealth and my military associations without public funding. Sadly that wasn’t possible,” the prince, the sixth-in-line to the throne, said.
“I’ve accepted this knowing it doesn’t change who I am, or how committed I am. But I hope that helps you understand what it had come to, that I would step back from all I have ever known to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.”
Under the arrangement, Harry will remain a prince and the couple will keep their titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they begin a new life split between Britain and North America where they will spend the majority of their time. But they will not take part in any future ceremonial events or royal tours.
Royal commentators said it amounted to an “abdication” from the “firm” - as the royals are known - and showed that, under the warm words in which she said Harry and Meghan were much loved, the queen had taken a firm and decisive line by insisting on a clean break.
“NO OPTION”
“It brings me great sadness that it has come to this,” said Harry. He said the decision to step back had followed months of talks and had not been a decision he had come to lightly. They were not walking away, he explained.
“As far as this goes, there really was no other option,” he added.
He told the audience at the charity he founded to help children with HIV in Africa that he wanted them to hear the truth from him “not as a Prince, or a Duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years but with a clearer perspective”.
“The UK is my home and a place that I love. That will never change,” he said.
The couple’s plans for independence, announced after a long break over the Christmas period in Canada, caught the rest of the royal family by surprise earlier this month and left the queen and other senior members hurt and disappointed, according to royal sources.
However, in a TV interview aired in October, both had made it clear how they were struggling with the immense media attention. The couple also began legal action against one newspaper for printing a letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.
Harry said he felt his wife had faced “bullying” from some tabloids similar to that faced by his mother Princess Diana who died in a car crash while trying to escape paparazzi photographers.
“I was born into this life and it is a great honor to serve my country and the queen,” he said.
“When I lost my mum 23 years ago, you took me under your wing. You’ve looked out for me for so long but the media is a powerful force and my hope is one day our collective support for each other can be more powerful because this is so much bigger than just us.”
Buckingham Palace have said the couple would no longer receive public money and that they would repay the cost of refurbishing their cottage in Windsor, which official figures show amounted to 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million).
But certain details, such as their future security arrangements or whether the couple could continue to use the “Sussex Royal” title for their website and branding, have either not been finalised or publicly revealed.
Meghan is currently in Canada with their baby son Archie and Harry is expected to join her soon.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said earlier on Sunday he believed that the whole of Britain would want to wish the very best to the couple for their future.
“As I said before ... I was sure that the royal family, which has been around a very long time, will find a way forward,” Johnson told Sky News.
However, Meghan’s father was less generous to the couple.
Markle told Britain’s Channel 5 news in a documentary recorded before Saturday’s announcement but aired on Sunday that he believed Meghan was tossing away “every girl’s dream” and damaging the monarchy.

“They are destroying it, they are cheapening it, they’re making it shabby,” he said.

Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Himani Sarkar


Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Banks to face dire consequences for govt's contradictory borrowing policy


THE government is borrowing funds from banks at more than 9 per cent interest rates against treasury bills and bonds, which contradicts its move to force banks to implement 9 per cent lending rate. As per rules, lending to the government or even against any government guarantee does not create ...

Sports »

Members of Group Skyliners of the United States pose on the podium after winning the 16th Zagreb Snowflakes Trophy synchronized skating competition in Zagreb, Croatia on Saturday.


International »

Maduro ready to open direct talks with US


Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said he was still comfortably in charge and open to direct negotiations with the US, in an interview published Saturday by The Washington Post.The interview was Maduro's first with a major US outlet since February of last year, when he abruptly ejected all Univision journalists from ...

Entertainment »

Tisha’s Pori O Panir Bottle on Customs Day


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :January 26 is the Customs Day. To mark the day, RTV will telecast a special play titled Pori O Panir Bottle on that day at 8:15pm. National Film Award winner actress Nusrat Imroz Tisha acted in an important role against Mosharraf Karim in the play directed by ...

Entertainment »

Raima has her fingers crossed for Dwitiyo Purush release


Raima Sen, who will soon make her Tamil debut with Agni Siragugal is all geared up for the release of Srijit Mukherji’s next Dwitiyo Purush alongside Parambrata Chatterjee. Like everyone else, she is also pretty much excited about this sequel and believes this one will also have a similar effect ...

Editorial »

Economic diplomacy needs rule of law and dependable banking system


OUR Foreign Minister on Friday said Bangladesh is now focusing on economic diplomacy with a view to boosting the local economy bringing foreign businesses to the country. Interestingly, the major shift in foreign policy is taking place at a time when foreign direct investment (FDI) reaches to nadir, remittance inflow ...

Football »

Bangladesh take on Sri Lanka in must win match today


Bangladesh will take on Sri Lanka in their must win group A last match of the Bangabandhu Gold Cup International Football tournament scheduled to be held today at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here.State-owned Bangladesh Television , private satellite channel RTV will telecast the match live while Bangladesh Betar will provide ...

Sports »

Humbert wins first ATP title in French showdown at Auckland


AFP, Auckland :Rising star Ugo Humbert won his maiden ATP title beating Benoit Paire in a three-set thriller in the final of the Auckland Classic on Saturday.In the all-French showdown, the unseeded Humbert held his nerve in the deciding tie-break of his first ATP final to beat the fifth seed ...

International »

UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer


AP, London :The British government has announced plans for special events on the night of Jan. 31 when the country officially leaves the European Union but the country's treasury chief has admitted that some U.K. business sectors will suffer as a result.Sajid Javid told the Financial Times in an interview ...

City »

Prof MM Akash speaking at a press conference oranised by South Asia Alliance for Poverty Eradication at the Jatiya Press Club on Saturday with a call to make South Asia fair for all.


Editorial »

Charge-sheet filed in Sagira Morshed's murder case: Let there be speedy trial


THE latest success story of Police Bureau of Investigation or PBI has brought again one thing to the forefront that - it's possible to conduct police investigation fairly if the police remain sincere and neutral. The PBI on Thursday submitted the charge-sheet of 30-year-old Sagira Morshed murder case to the ...

International »

US warship sails through Taiwan Strait less than week after election


Reuters, Taipei :A US warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Thursday, the island's defense ministry said, less than a week after Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen won re-election by a landslide on a platform of standing up to China which claims the island.The ship sailed in a northerly direction through ...

City »

BNP Standing Committee member Dr Khondkar Mosharraf Hossain speaking at a discussion on 'Bangladehi Nationalist Culture and Shaheed Zia' organised on the occasion of birthday of former President Ziaur Rahman by Jatiyatabadi Sangskritik Sangstha at the Jatiya Press Club on Friday.


.

Football »

Japan teenage star Nishikawa cool on Barca talk


AFP, Tokyo :Japan youth international Jun Nishikawa said Friday he heard Barcelona were keen on signing him through friends but denied there had been any contact from the Spanish giants.The 17-year-old attacking midfielder, who has represented Japan at the under-17 and under-20 World Cup, told local media his main focus ...

Entertainment »

Genelia Deshmukh is strong, smiling, inspiring in her latest photoshoot


Genelia Deshmukh recently posted pictures from a shoot. She wore a thigh-high black dress with multi-colored ruffle-tied sleeves. The teal, green, blue and mustard yellow seems to be adding lots of color and volume to the dress. Black is the color that is associated with elegance and sophistication. She accessorised ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news