Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Tuesday, April 7, 2020 10:03:36 AM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Death toll now over 100

China virus spreading abroad

photo by

Fully protected medical staff help a patient off the ambulance outside the hospital in Wuhan Internet photo

By
29th-Jan-2020       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AFP :
China on Tuesday urged its citizens to postpone foreign travel to curb a viral outbreak that has killed 106 people, as the first cases of human-to-human contagion were detected abroad.
While a host of nations prepared to airlift their citizens from the epicentre of the epidemic, Japan and Germany reported the first cases that were not directly imported from China.
Until now, all cases in more than a dozen countries involved people who had been in or around Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the coronavirus first emerged in late December before infecting thousands of people nationwide.
In Japan, a man in his sixties contracted the virus apparently after driving two groups of tourists from Wuhan earlier in January, the health ministry said. He was hospitalised with flu-like symptoms on Saturday.
On the other side of the world, a 33-year-old German man caught the disease from a Chinese colleague from Shanghai who visited Germany last week, according to health officials.
The development came after countries including Sri Lanka, Malaysia and the Philippines announced tighter visa restrictions for people coming from China.
Experts believe the virus came from a wild animal market in Wuhan and then jumped to humans, with Chinese health officials saying Tuesday that people infect each other through sneezing or coughing, and possibly through contact.
Authorities initially sealed off Wuhan and other cities in central Hubei province late last week, trapping more than 50 million people.
China then halted international and domestic group tours. It also imposed a wide range of travel restrictions inside China, suspending long-distance bus routes and more than 2,000 train services.    But with the death toll climbing and more fatalities reported in Chinese cities far away from Wuhan, authorities on Tuesday urged people to delay any foreign travel.
This was "to protect the health and safety of Chinese and foreign people," the National Immigration Administration said.
The National Health Commission on Tuesday announced 26 new deaths-mostly elderly-bringing the nationwide total to 106.
The commission also said Tuesday that confirmed infections had nearly doubled from the previous day to 4,515, with another 7,000 cases suspected and awaiting confirmation.
Wuhan, meanwhile, has been turned into a near ghost-town under a lockdown that has largely confined the industrial hub's 11 million people to their homes.
With a ban on car travel, the streets were nearly deserted apart from the occasional ambulance-although the city's hospitals are overwhelmed.
"Everyone goes out wearing masks and they are worried about the infection," said David, a Chinese man who works in Shanghai and ended up trapped in Wuhan after it went under quarantine.
Many thousands of foreigners are also among those trapped in the city.
"It's deeply stressful," Joseph Pacey, a 31-year-old Briton who teaches English in Wuhan, told AFP.
"The biggest fear for me is that this thing will go on for months, and it will get harder and harder to get supplies, and to live."
Several foreign governments have drawn up plans to safely evacuate their citizens, but have faced major logistical and bureaucratic challenges.
Japan said it would send a chartered flight on Tuesday evening to get about a third of its 650 nationals there.
"We will also bring aid supplies such as masks and protective suits for Chinese people as well as for Japanese nationals," Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said in Tokyo.
Motegi said the plane would leave Wuhan on Wednesday morning and that more flights may follow.
If the mission succeeds, Japan would be the first country to airlift its citizens out of Wuhan.
A US-chartered flight bound for California is scheduled to leave Wuhan on Wednesday with consular staff and some American citizens, a day later than previously planned.
France and South Korea are also planning to fly out their citizens later this week, and several other countries, including Germany, were considering doing so.
Germany, Canada and Sri Lanka announced their first infections on Monday, bringing the total number of countries with confirmed cases to 15.
With global concern mounting, governments around the world have started to try and quickly build defences.
The United States, Turkey and Germany have urged their citizens to "reconsider" all travel to China.
Landlocked Mongolia-which is heavily dependent on trade with China-took the drastic step of closing the border with its huge neighbour to cars, as well as shutting down schools and banning large gatherings.
The World Health Organization last week stopped short of declaring the outbreak a global emergency, which could have prompted a more aggressive international response such as travel restrictions.
But WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised China's response to the crisis in a meeting with officials in Beijing, according to state news agency Xinhua.
"We have full capability, confidence and resources to overcome the epidemic at an early date," foreign minister Wang Yi said, according to the Xinhua report.

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Incapable health sector and coronavirus pandemic


Even for non-communicable diseases, the country's poor people are not getting proper treatment due to the high rise of medical expenses. On the other hand, the authorities showcased outstanding success in healthcare improvement and public health indicators as well as poverty reduction. A recent study had found that out-of-pocket health ...

Sports »

Manchester City's Kyle Walker sorry after 'lockdown party'


England defender Kyle Walker is facing disciplinary action from English Premier League team Manchester City after appearing to break lockdown conditions during the coronavirus pandemic.The 29-year-old Walker apologized on Sunday after it was widely reported he held a party involving two sex workers at his home last week, breaking the ...

City »

Distressed women are waiting for the relief goods defying the order of social distance in city's Green Road area on Sunday.


.

Editorial »

Remittance flow gets interrupted


The coronavirus pandemic is set to deal a heavy blow to the country's overseas job market and the remittance flow as a large number of Bangladeshi migrants have already lost their jobs or were receiving low wages amid shutdowns enforced to contain the contagion. After different businesses were closed following ...

Business & Economy »

Bangladesh China Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BCCCI) distributing aid to some helpless people at Khilgaon Model Collage in the city on Thursday. Vice President Mohd Ishaqul Hossain Sweet, Joint Secretary General Al Mamun Mridha and Director MD Naim Hossain Bhuiyan, among others, were present.


Business & Economy »

Govt selling Tk 10 rice in Dhaka


Economic Reporter:The government will sell subsidised rice at Tk 10 per kg in Dhaka from Sunday in an effort to help the poor during the shutdown due to the coronavirus outbreak.The special open market sale or OMS will begin in Mirpur's Rupnagar Jheelpar slum and Mohakhali's Shattola slum, the Food ...

Sports »

`We want to help as much as we can` - England players take pay cut


The centrally contracted male and female players in England have opted to take a pay cut during the current global crisis, which has brought cricket to a standstill.With the COVID-19 pandemic threatening to sabotage the entire cricket season in England, centrally contracted players have opted to take a pay cut ...

Football »

Neymar donates $1m to fight coronavirus


AFP, Rio De Janeiro :Neymar has donated $1 million to fight the impact of the new coronavirus in his native Brazil, according to TV network SBT.The Paris Saint-Germain star, the world's third-highest-paid footballer, donated part of the money to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), and the rest to a ...

City »

Chairman of the Governing Body of the city's Willes Little Flower School and College Arifur Rahman Titu distributing foods among the destitute on the premises of the institution on Saturday. Foods were bought from the joint aid of the teachers and governing body of the institution.


Editorial »

Front line soldiers must be well-armed to fight deadly coronavirus


AT least a dozen people with different illnesses died in Dhaka and other places after they were refused treatment by doctors since March 8 when the first case of coronavirus was reported in the country. Many said a sense of insecurity caused by the persisting shortage of personal protective equipment ...

City »

Devotees offering Jum'a prayers on the street without having place in the mosque. The snap was taken from in front of Naya Palton Jame Masjid in the city on Friday.


City »

Army personnel deployed in different areas trying to raise awareness among the commoners to stay home with a view to protecting themselves from coronavirus. The snap was taken from Chwakbazar in th city on Friday.


Business & Economy »

Local lawmaker Elias Uddin Mollah, on behalf of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, distributing essential food sttuff among the poor at Pallabi area in the city recently. Rear Admiral M Khaled Iqbal, Vice-Chancellor of the university was also present.


Sports »

Olympic chiefs bracing for extra costs in rescheduling Tokyo Games


AFP, Paris :Olympic chiefs said Thursday they were bracing themselves for the extra costs incurred by rescheduling the Tokyo Games by a year to 2021.The historic decision to postpone the summer Olympics by 12 months was taken this week amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It was the first peacetime postponement ...

Football »

Suarez 'hurt' by criticism of Barca players' pay cut delay


AFP, Montevideo:Uruguay star Luis Suarez complained on Thursday that he has been "hurt" by criticism of him and fellow millionaire Barcelona players for the time it took to agree to pay cuts to help out other club employees.Argentine superstar Lionel Messi announced on Monday that Barca's players had agreed to ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news