Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 04:35:42 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Foreigners flown out of China virus epicentre, death toll hits 132

photo by

By ONLINE DESK
29th-Jan-2020       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »



Hundreds of Americans and Japanese left the quarantined Chinese city at the centre of a viral epidemic aboard charter flights on Wednesday, as the death toll soared to 132 and confirmed infections neared 6,000.
The scale of the deepening crisis was emphasised with the new infection number on the Chinese mainland exceeding that of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak in 2002-03.
SARS, another respiratory virus transmitted between people, went on to claim nearly 800 lives around the world, with most of those fatalities in mainland China and Hong Kong.
The new virus has spread to more than 15 countries since it emerged out of Wuhan late last year, although all the confirmed fatalities have so far been in China.
Authorities last week imposed transport bans in and around Wuhan in an unprecedented quarantine effort, leaving more than 50 million people effectively trapped.
China has taken other extraordinary measures to try and stop the disease spreading, including bans on tour groups travelling overseas, suspending schools and extending the Lunar New Year holiday.
With global concerns mounting, the United States, Britain and various other countries have also advised their citizens against travelling to China.
Thousands of foreigners have been among those trapped in Wuhan, which has become a near ghost-town with car travel banned and residents staying indoors.
Countries have for days been scrambling to try and get their citizens out of Wuhan safely, but have faced huge logistical, medical and bureaucratic hurdles.
Japan and the United States on Wednesday were the first to evacuate some of their citizens from Wuhan.
About 200 people were aboard the Japanese flight, which landed in Tokyo on Wednesday morning.
Medical professionals were on the flight to carry out health checks but Japan's health ministry said there were no plans to quarantine the passengers.
They would instead be asked to remain at home and avoid crowds at least until the results of the test were known.
A US charter flight also left Wuhan on Wednesday with about 200 Americans on board, including employees from the local US consulate.
"These travellers will be carefully screened and monitored to protect their health, as well as the health and safety of their fellow Americans," a State Department spokeswoman said.
The European Union will fly its citizens out aboard two French planes this week, and South Korea is due to do the same. Several other countries were assessing their options.
Meanwhile, the virus continued to spread and kill in China.
Authorities said Wednesday the number of cases in Hubei province, the epicentre of the virus of which Wuhan is the capital, soared by over 800 from the previous day.
The number of confirmed cases across the country climbed to 5,974, while the death toll nationwide jumped 26 to 132.
All of those new reported deaths were in Hubei except for one, on a province just to the north.
The virus is believed to have originated in a wild-animal market in Wuhan, where it jumped to humans before spreading across the country as the peak-travel period for Lunar New Year holiday festivities got underway.
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday branded the virus a "demon", as he held talks with World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Following the Xi-Tedros talks, the WHO said the two sides had agreed to send international experts to China "as soon as possible... to guide global response efforts".
"Stopping the spread of this virus both in China and globally is WHO's highest priority," Tedros said.
Until Tuesday, all reported cases in more than a dozen countries had involved people who had been in or around Wuhan.
But Japan and Germany then reported the first confirmed human-to-human transmission of the illness outside China. Vietnam is investigating another case.
Germany now has four confirmed cases, all of them employees at a Bavarian firm recently visited by a Chinese colleague, health officials said.
Some experts have praised Beijing for being more reactive and open about the new virus compared to its handling of the SARS epidemic of 2002-2003.
But others say local officials had earlier been more focused on projecting stability than responding to the outbreak when it began to spread earlier this month.
The United States asked China on Tuesday to step up its cooperation with international health authorities over the epidemic.
"We are urging China -- more cooperation and transparency are the most important steps you can take toward a more effective response," Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told reporters.
He added that the United States has offered China assistance three times so far without success.
Separately, US health authorities said they were working on a vaccine, but that it would take months to develop.


Source: AFP

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Rape incidents increasing when all preventive measures failed


A total of 59 women were raped and sexually harassed on public transport across the country in 2019. There were 52 incidents of women repression on public modes of transportation -- 44 on the roads and four each on rail and river ways, the media reported quoting the survey report ...

Entertainment »

Darshana’s new film Protighat


Model-actress, Darshana Banik, who has acted in some critically acclaimed films, both in the South industry and in Tollywood, is on cloud nine now. She will soon be seen in Rajiv Biswas’ upcoming film Protighat which also stars Soham and Priyanka Sarkar in lead roles. The film is a passionate ...

Business & Economy »

Abu Hena Mohammad Razi Hasan, Head of Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU), speaking at money laundering prevention conference at local resort in Habiganj recently. Bangladesh Bank Executive Directors Kazi Enayet and Iskander Mia, among others, were present.


.

Cricket »

New Zealand beat India by 10 wickets in series-opening Test


AP, Wellington :New Zealand beat top-ranked India by 10 wickets in the series-opening match, posting its 100th win in Tests and inflicting India's first loss in eight matches in the ICC Test Championship.India started play Monday at 144-4, 39 runs behind New Zealand after trailing by 183 on the first ...

Football »

New Zealand fraud probe into ex-Oceania Football chief


AFP, Wellington :New Zealand's Serious Fraud Office said Monday it is investigating former Oceania Football Confederation employees - including ex-president David Chung - after a complaint from FIFA.Authorities will probe whether any criminal activity had taken place, but declined to provide further details of an active investigation."An investigation relating to ...

City »

Former Adviser to the Caretaker Government M Hafiz Uddin Ahmed speaking at a prèss conference on 'Presentation of Information of the Winners of DSCC and DNCC Elections-2020 and Election Evaluation' organised by SUJAN in DRU auditorium on Monday.


Football »

Ronaldo marks 1,000th game with record-equalling goal


AFP, Rome :Cristiano Ronaldo scored for a record-equalling 11th consecutive Serie A game in his 1,000th professional match as Juventus extended their league lead on Saturday with a 2-1 win over basement club SPAL.The 35-year-old tapped in six minutes before the break to equal the mark held by Gabriel Batistuta ...

Editorial »

We don't need experts to tell us banking sector is ruined


 AS Bangladesh Bank has miserably failed to function properly, the country's banking sector is heading towards a total collapse and is being held hostage by a few individuals and entities. This remark comes from the local think-tank Centre for Policy Dialogue on Saturday marking the government's move for appointing a ...

Entertainment »

Kirti Kulhari skips cab and takes auto-rickshaw


Mission Mangal actor Kirti Kulhari was spotted taking a rickshaw ride in the city. The actor who prefers to take auto to travel for short distances was quite happy as she posted on Instagram “When all the ubers and the olas of the world leave u stranded, it's the Rickshaws ...

International »

UN chief urges new transit point for aid to Syria


AFP, United Nations :UN Secretary- General Antonio Guterres has urged the Security Council to authorize a new passage point on the Turkish border to allow humanitarian aid to reach the embattled population of northeast Syria, where medical supplies are running short.The recommendation came in a report issued Friday to Council ...

Editorial »

Govt incapable of deciding how to deal with Rohingya crises


NEWSPAPERS reported that the government is shifting its previous stance on sheltering one lakh Rohingyas to remote Bhashan Char due to constant objections from the international community, especially the aid agencies. Bhashan Char is only 25 kilometres from Sandwip Island and it has a fast siltation rate. There is also ...

Football »

Lewandowski double edge Bayern past bottom side Paderborn


Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich squeezed past bottom side Paderborn 3-2 on Friday as Robert Lewandowski netted twice to spare goalkeeper Manuel Neuer's blushes in their final game before facing Chelsea in the Champions League.Lewandowski now has a league-leading tally of 26 goals in the top flight, illustrating his importance to ...

Entertainment »

Priyanka wishes Sophie a happy birthday


Priyanka Chopra has shared a sweet birthday wish for sister-in-law and Game of Thrones actor Sophie Turner on her 24th birthday. She shared a picture from the 2017 MET Gala where she not just made her first appearance with now husband Nick Jonas but also met Sophie. Sharing the picture ...

Sports »

Venezuela's Rojas sets new indoor women's triple jump world record


Venezuela's Yulimar Rojas on Friday set a new indoor women's triple jump world record of 15.43m at a meeting in Madrid.The 24-year-old world champion bettered the previous world record of 15.36m set by Russia's Tatyana Lebedeva in Budapest in March 2004.Rojas's new mark also left her just seven centimetres short ...

International »

Sanders condemns Russian interference in 2020 elections


Agencies :Bernie Sanders on Friday condemned Russian interference in the 2020 election, telling Russia President Vladimir Putin that "if elected president, trust me, you are not going to be interfering in American elections."Sanders issued a statement in response to The Washington Post's report that the Vermont senator was briefed by ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news