Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Saturday, August 8, 2020 07:02:08 AM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Coronavirus death toll reaches 1,355 as China changes way it counts cases

photo by

By ONLINE DESK
13th-Feb-2020       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

The number of deaths and new cases from China's coronavirus outbreak spiked dramatically on Thursday after authorities changed the way they count infections in a move that will likely fuel speculation that the severity of the outbreak has been under-reported.
The hard-hit central province of Hubei reported 242 deaths in just one day and 14,840 new patients -- by far its biggest one-day tally since the crisis erupted last month.
The jump raised the death toll to 1,355 and the total number of nationwide infections to nearly 60,000 -- just hours after President Xi Jinping touted "positive results" from the government's drastic measures to contain the virus and a top Chinese expert predicted the epidemic would peak this month.
Officials in Hubei said they were broadening their definition for COVID-19 cases by including people "clinically diagnosed" with the virus in the daily tally.
This means officials can use lung imaging on suspected cases to diagnose the virus, rather than the standard nucleic acid tests.
China has placed some 56 million in virtual quarantine in Hubei and its capital, Wuhan, since late last month and restricted movements of millions more in cities far from the epicentre in an unprecedented effort to contain the virus.
Xi chaired a meeting of the ruling Politburo Standing Committee on Wednesday after figures showed that the number of new cases had dropped for a second straight day.
China has been praised by the World Health Organization (WHO) for its transparent handling of the outbreak, in contrast to the way it concealed the extent of the SARS virus.
But it has faced continued scepticism among the global public, with suggestions that there may be similarities with the way it dealt with the 2002-2003 outbreak.
Authorities in Hubei have been accused of concealing the gravity of the outbreak in early January because they were holding key political meetings at the time.

'Too early' to predict: Zhong Nanshan, a renowned scientist at China's National Health Commission, said on Tuesday he thought the outbreak would peak in mid- to late-February.
But in Geneva, WHO officials warned Wednesday against reaching premature conclusions on the Chinese data.
"I think it's way too early to try to predict the beginning, the middle or the end of this epidemic right now," said Michael Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies program.
In Spain, organizers of the world's top mobile telecommunications trade fair, the World Mobile Congress, said the event would be cancelled following an exodus of industry heavyweights over coronavirus fears.
The GSMA, which organizes the annual show, set for Barcelona, said it was cancelled due to "the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances."
The announcement was made just hours after Vodafone, Nokia, Deutsche Telekom, Britain's BT and Rakuten of Japan had pulled out, following in the footsteps of Intel, Facebook, Cisco and China's Vivo.
US planemaker Boeing warned that there was "no question" the outbreak would hammer the aviation industry and the broader economy.
The epidemic has threatened to harm the Chinese economy, the world's second-largest, with ANZ bank warning that China's first-quarter GDP growth would slow to 3.2-4%, down from a previous projection of 5%.
It has also disrupted sporting events in China: motorsport's governing body FIA announced the suspension of the Formula One Grand Prix in Shanghai, originally scheduled for April 19, due to the "continued spread" of the coronavirus.
And this week's Singapore Air Show -- Asia's biggest -- was badly hit by exhibitors withdrawing and low attendance.
Due to the impact of the virus, the OPEC oil cartel lowered its forecast for growth in global oil demand this year by nearly a fifth.

Cruise ship infections: Several countries have banned arrivals from China, while major airlines have halted flights to and from the country, as hundreds of people have now been infected in some two dozen countries.
The biggest cluster of cases outside China is on a cruise ship quarantined off Japan's coast.
An additional 44 people on board the Diamond Princess have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the country's health minister said Thursday.
Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said the 44 new cases were from another 221 new tests. They raise the number of infections detected on the Diamond Princess to 218, in addition to a quarantine officer who also tested positive for the virus.
Of the newly diagnosed infections, 43 are passengers, and one a member of the crew. 
The Diamond Princess has been moored off Japan since February 3, after it emerged that a former passenger who disembarked in Hong Kong last month had tested positive for the virus now named COVID-19.
The ship was placed into quarantine shortly afterwards and authorities have asked passengers and crew to remain on board until February 19.

Source: AFP

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Life at risk of illegal, unsafe electric connections in city


PEOPLE in the flood-hit area are also at risk of electrocution as many residents have taken power connections using bamboo poles and hooks. As the authorities concerned are indifferent to the consumers' demand for power connections in a proper way, people were compelled to get the connections. On the other ...

City »

Members of RAB-4 detain five frauds including four Nigerian citizens from the city's Kafrul and Pallabi thana areas on Friday.


.

Football »

Flamengo eye move for Argentinian defender Vigo


Agency :Flamengo have initiated talks with Newell's Old Boys about a possible deal to sign defender Alex Vigo, according to the player's agent.The interest comes as the reigning Brazilian Serie A champions seek a backup for former Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha, who will turn 35 next month."It's true that Flamengo ...

Business & Economy »

China exports see unexpected spike in July, imports down


AFP, Beijing :China saw another surprise jump in exports last month as the global economy slowly reopened after virus lockdowns, data showed Friday, but there were warnings that while the country is expected to get back on track by year's end overseas shipments would likely struggle.The readings, however, showed an ...

Editorial »

We mourn deaths in Beirut blast and demand proper investigation


A SERIES of small, silly mistakes, bureaucratic indifference and greed over a period of time can lead to deadly disasters of huge proportions. In Lebanon, this happened on Tuesday when a blast sent black, orange mushroom clouds high up in the air and a powerful shock wave in all directions, ...

Business & Economy »

Japanese FM in UK for post-Brexit trade talks


Japan's foreign minister on Wednesday began a three-day trip to Britain in a bid to wrap up negotiations on a post-Brexit trade agreement.Toshimitsu Motegi will meet British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and International Trade Secretary Liz Truss during his visit which will see two days of economic talks.It will be ...

International »

Pompeo offers $10m reward over election interference


AFP :Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday the United States would offer a $10 million reward to arrest any state actor who interferes in the November elections.US intelligence has said that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to support Donald Trump, especially though manipulation of social media.The United States ...

Sports »

`Slim to none` - Kyrgios unlikely for French Open


Nick Kyrgios dropped a huge hint Thursday that he will skip the French Open, saying the chances of him travelling to Europe this year were "slim to none".The opinionated Australian last week pulled out of the upcoming US Open in New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, with world number ...

Football »

Manchester City sign Dutch defender Ake from Bournemouth


English Premier League side Manchester City announced on Wednesday that Dutch international Nathan Ake has signed a five-year deal with the club to the summer of 2025.The 25-year-old defender, departing from relegated Bournemouth, became City's second signing of this summer after the club completed the signing with Spaniard Ferran Torres ...

City »

Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal forms a human chain in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Thursday marking Hiroshima Day.


City »

State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury hands over a book on 'Bangabandhu's Unfinished Biography' to the Chief Representative of JICA in Bangladesh Yuhohayakawa when the latter calls on him at the ministry on Thursday.


Editorial »

Set strategy to recoup education after pandemic


UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that the world set to face a generational catastrophe because of school closures amid the coronavirus pandemic. The states must take appropriate action to return students to the classroom. As of mid-July schools were closed in some 160 countries, affecting more than 1 billion students, ...

International »

Trump says he will `probably` give Republican nomination speech from White House


Reuters :US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he will probably give his Republican presidential nomination speech live from the White House, although the plans have not been confirmed yet."We're thinking about it. We're thinking about doing it from the White House," he said in an interview with Fox News. ...

Health »

Kids under 5 are more prone to SARS-CoV-2


Dr. Muhammad Torequl Islam :For a long time it has been considered that children and young people are fairly safe from the risk of incidence of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) infection than the others. Besides, many facts, the big reasons behind this are that since children spend most of their ...

City »

`Bangladesh Chhatra Adhikar Parishad` forms a human chain in front of the National Museum in the city on Wednesday demanding trial of former army official Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan killing.


.

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news