Saturday, August 8, 2020 11:49:03 PM
President Donald Trump said Friday he was poised to sign executive orders to extend aid to Americans facing hardship due to the coronavirus pandemic, though negotiations continued between his administration and Democratic leaders in Congress on a new emergency spending bill.
"End of the week," Trump said on the timing of when he might sign the orders. "They're being drawn (up) by the lawyers right now."
But he also said his economic team "continues to work in good faith to reach an agreement with Democrats in Congress" on a relief package including unemployment benefits and protections against evictions.
"If Democrats continue to hold this critical relief hostage, I will act under my authority as president to get Americans the relief they need," Trump told a news conference at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.
Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said her party had agreed to lower the relief package size to $2 trillion from $3 trillion, but the White House continues to resist aid to state and local governments that economists say will be critical to avoiding a new round of layoffs.
"I've told them, come back when you are ready to give us a higher number," Pelosi told reporters after an hour-long meeting with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
Trump said his executive orders would defer payroll tax until at least the end of the year, defer student loan payments and extend an eviction moratorium.
He also said he would extend enhanced unemployment benefits until the end of the year - a key source of contention between the White House and Democrats.
An additional $600 in weekly federal payments to the unemployed expired at the end of July, and Republicans want to slash the figure. Trump did not say how much the payments would be under his executive order.
The stalemate on the relief negotiations came as official figures showed the US economy regained 1.8 million jobs in July, a solid but unremarkable result that comes as economists warn challenges to the pandemic recovery are growing.
As COVID-19 cases spiked in several states in recent weeks and forced some businesses to shut their doors again, economists warned of rising concerns that the labor market could take a turn for the worse, especially without federal backing.
"In the absence of additional fiscal aid, the broad economy risks losing momentum as it shifts into the second phase of its rehabilitation," said Lydia Boussour of Oxford Economics.
There are just two more jobs reports before the November elections, leaving little time for Trump to show the kind of improvement that would boost his bid for a second term in the White House.
The unemployment rate fell to 10.2 percent last month from 11.1 percent in June, according to the government data, still slightly worse than the nadir of the global financial crisis in October 2009.
However, the Labor Department said some workers continue to be misclassified in the survey, and the jobless rate actually would have been a full point higher than reported.
The July employment gain marked a sharp slowdown from the increases of 4.8 million in June and 2.7 million in May, and means less than half the 22 million payroll jobs lost during the pandemic have been regained.
"This is far from normal, as another 13 million jobs are needed just to get us back to pre-pandemic employment levels," said Lawrence Yun, chief economist of the National Association of Realtors.
· 'Donald Trump failed to act' -
Trump's Democratic challenger Joe Biden seized on the high joblessness to attack the president.
"My heart goes out to the more than 16 million Americans still out of work. The truth is it didn't have to be this bad, but Donald Trump failed to act," Biden said on Twitter.
A third of private jobs gains were due to bars and restaurants reopening, according to the report.
The number of people on temporary layoff in July decreased by 1.3 million, but there were nearly three million workers who lost their jobs permanently, according to the latest data.
Meanwhile, 8.4 million people were working part-time not by choice but out of necessity, a group known as involuntary part-time workers.
PEOPLE in the flood-hit area are also at risk of electrocution as many residents have taken power connections using bamboo poles and hooks. As the authorities concerned are indifferent to the consumers' demand for power connections in a proper way, people were compelled to get the connections. On the other ...
Agency :Flamengo have initiated talks with Newell's Old Boys about a possible deal to sign defender Alex Vigo, according to the player's agent.The interest comes as the reigning Brazilian Serie A champions seek a backup for former Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha, who will turn 35 next month."It's true that Flamengo ...
AFP, Beijing :China saw another surprise jump in exports last month as the global economy slowly reopened after virus lockdowns, data showed Friday, but there were warnings that while the country is expected to get back on track by year's end overseas shipments would likely struggle.The readings, however, showed an ...
A SERIES of small, silly mistakes, bureaucratic indifference and greed over a period of time can lead to deadly disasters of huge proportions. In Lebanon, this happened on Tuesday when a blast sent black, orange mushroom clouds high up in the air and a powerful shock wave in all directions, ...
Japan's foreign minister on Wednesday began a three-day trip to Britain in a bid to wrap up negotiations on a post-Brexit trade agreement.Toshimitsu Motegi will meet British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and International Trade Secretary Liz Truss during his visit which will see two days of economic talks.It will be ...
AFP :Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday the United States would offer a $10 million reward to arrest any state actor who interferes in the November elections.US intelligence has said that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to support Donald Trump, especially though manipulation of social media.The United States ...
Nick Kyrgios dropped a huge hint Thursday that he will skip the French Open, saying the chances of him travelling to Europe this year were "slim to none".The opinionated Australian last week pulled out of the upcoming US Open in New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, with world number ...
English Premier League side Manchester City announced on Wednesday that Dutch international Nathan Ake has signed a five-year deal with the club to the summer of 2025.The 25-year-old defender, departing from relegated Bournemouth, became City's second signing of this summer after the club completed the signing with Spaniard Ferran Torres ...
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that the world set to face a generational catastrophe because of school closures amid the coronavirus pandemic. The states must take appropriate action to return students to the classroom. As of mid-July schools were closed in some 160 countries, affecting more than 1 billion students, ...
Reuters :US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he will probably give his Republican presidential nomination speech live from the White House, although the plans have not been confirmed yet."We're thinking about it. We're thinking about doing it from the White House," he said in an interview with Fox News. ...
Dr. Muhammad Torequl Islam :For a long time it has been considered that children and young people are fairly safe from the risk of incidence of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) infection than the others. Besides, many facts, the big reasons behind this are that since children spend most of their ...