Tuesday, June 2, 2020 06:14:46 PM
Novak Djokovic insists his heartbreaking French Open final defeat has been consigned to history as he begins his Wimbledon title defence on Monday.
The world number one had stayed resolutely out of the spotlight since his Roland Garros upset by Stan Wawrinka ended his latest bid to complete the career Grand Slam.
But the Serb says he is fired up to defend his Wimbledon crown just as he was in 2011 when he captured his maiden title in London.
"I needed some time off, more mentally rather than physically," said eight-time major winner Djokovic who faces world number 33 German Philipp Kohlschreiber in a tough Monday opener.
"I know it could have been useful to play a couple of official matches on grass, but it's not the first time I'm coming straight into Wimbledon."
Djokovic's loss to Wawrinka in Paris was just his third defeat in 44 matches this year.
With the Australian Open already under his belt, the shattering loss ended his chances of going on to become just the third man in history-and first since 1969 -- to clinch a calendar Grand Slam.
But such Paris disappointments have previously worked in his favour.
His 2011 semi-final loss to Roger Federer at Roland Garros ended a 41-match win streak that year.
However, just four weeks later, he defeated Rafael Nadal to secure a first Wimbledon title and then went on to his maiden US Open triumph.
Djokovic is also the most consistent of the top players at the majors-the last time he failed to make at least the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam was at Roland Garros in 2009.
World number two and seven-time Wimbledon champion Federer, who won the last of his 17 majors at the All England Club in 2012, is seeded to meet Djokovic in the July 12 final.
He will be 34 in August-the oldest man to win Wimbledon in the modern era was Arthur Ashe who was 31 years and 11 months when he triumphed at the All England Club in 1975.
Federer fervently believes that another Wimbledon is not beyond him and he was buoyed by his eighth Halle title last weekend.
"If I look at last year, I see more the positives than actually the heart-breaking loss in the final," said Federer, defeated in five sets by Djokovic in 2014.
"I didn't expect myself to right away make the final. It goes to show that last year, I wasn't playing great and I made the finals."
Federer starts his campaign against Bosnia's Damir Dzumhur, who he beat in the French Open third round.
Andy Murray, the 2013 champion, saw his 2014 campaign sabotaged by a combination of back pain and an inspired Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter-finals.
But the 28-year-old world number three, fresh from a record-equalling fourth Queen's Club title, believes he's playing better than when he secured his historic Wimbledon triumph.
"Physically I'm definitely in a better place than I was then and I'm using my variety much better," said Murray, who begins his campaign against Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan.
Two-time champion Rafael Nadal is seeded 10 -- his lowest position for a decade.
The nine-time French Open champion was beaten for only the second time in his Paris career by Djokovic in a morale-sapping quarter-final loss.
He then clinched the Stuttgart grass-court title which only proved to be a false dawn as just days later the 29-year-old was losing to Alexander Dolgopolov in his Queen's opener.
His recent trips to Wimbledon have also been chastening affairs, featuring losses in the second, first and fourth rounds.
Nadal joked that he was coming into Wimbledon fully attuned to being on grass.
"I played golf," he smiled as he recalled how he spent his time at home in Mallorca last week.
Despite Wawrinka's second major title at the French Open, the dominance of the sport's four heavyweights is unlikely to be seriously threatened at Wimbledon where Lleyton Hewitt, in 2002, was the last champion from outside the "Big Four".
Wawrinka has never got beyond the quarter-finals, while fifth-ranked Kei Nishikori can only boast a fourth-round best.
World number six Tomas Berdych was runner-up in 2010 but has since only made the quarter-finals on one occasion.
In the rest of the top 10, David Ferrer has a best of a last-eight spot as does US Open champion Marin Cilic while Milos Raonic, who recently underwent foot surgery was a semi-finalist in 2014.
THE overwhelming demand for Covid-19 tests has rendered the designated private facilities also unable to offer the tests to test seekers. Now 50 labs, including 17 private ones, are doing the Covid-19 RT-PCR tests after the number of government-run facilities was found inadequate to handle the pressure of the test ...
England winger Jadon Sancho scored a hat-trick and revealed a "Justice for George Floyd" protest message in Borussia Dortmund's 6-1 rout of bottom side Paderborn on Sunday that trimmed Bayern Munich's lead at the top of the Bundesliga to seven points.The outstanding Sancho, who now has 17 goals and 17 ...
National discard cricketer Sabbir Rahman denied the allegation of harassing a cleaner of Rajshahi City Corporation (RCC) physically as the news spread around social media outlets.Sabbir who earlier was banned a couple of times for his off the field misbehave, admitted, he had some verbal spat with the cleaner, something ...
Rishabh Tiwari is one of the brightest rising stars of the music industry today. The young singer, who has earlier delivered a couple of popular songs in the past, is back to regale the listeners with a new song titled Duniyadari. Talking about his new track, he says, “Presently, there ...
Entertainment Report :National Film Award winner actress Bidya Sinha Saha Mim had intention to launch her own YouTube channel many days ago. Due to her hectic working schedules she couldn’t launch the channel. At last, during the corona time she got the opportunity to launch her YouTube channel titled ‘Bidya ...
Alia Chughtai :On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the new coronavirus - which was first reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year - a pandemic.As of May 31, there were more than 6.1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to data collected by Johns ...
AMID rising infection and death due to Covid-19, the government mindlessly eased the clampdown in excuse of protecting the corruption-riddled economy, though millions of dollars poured for social safety net support went into the account of local political goons. A sharp contrast has been seen when the government opts to ...
Business Desk :Renowned industrialist and founder of Abdul Monem Group Abdul Monem Khan passed away at a city hospital on Sunday. He was 85.Sources said, he breathed his last at the Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka at around 10am.Monem left behind his wife, two sons, three daughters and a host ...
Former New Zealand captain and current Bangladesh spin bowling coach Daniel Vettori has asked the Bangladesh Cricket Board to give a part of his salary to low-income staffers to deal with the financial hardship caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury said Vettori has officially communicated ...
MEDIA reports on Saturday said Bangladesh government has sought justice from the internationally recognized Libyan government for the killing of 26 Bangladeshi nationals and the infliction of fatal injuries to 11 more in an incident in which a group of unruly militias opened fire on them in a desert. They ...
Sports Reporter :Former national cricketer Mohammad Ashraful became father of a baby boy on Friday last. It is his second baby. Earlier, Mohammad Ashraful became father in 2016. She is a baby girl. Her name is Ariba Tasneem Ashraful. Mohammad Ashraful gave a status on his Facebook on Friday. He ...
ACCORDING to the International Labour Organization (ILO) job prospects for the youth have been vastly reduced in Bangladesh. For youths to be provided paths for a positive future, education and skills training are essential. Young women workers -- who were already struggling in low-paid and informal sector jobs -- are ...