Wednesday, November 14, 2018 06:19:14 PM
Troublesome Chelsea striker Diego Costa would have been considered a petty criminal rather than a master villain in the 1950s and 1960s, according to Brazil great Pele.
Costa, who was born in Brazil but opted to represent Spain at international level, has been banned for three games for twice hitting Laurent Koscielny during Chelsea's 2-0 defeat of Arsenal last weekend.
It is not the first time the snarling centre-forward has fallen foul of the football authorities, but Pele, famously kicked out of the 1966 World Cup by Portugal's Joao Morais, said Costa's crimes were nothing compared to the punishments meted out to him during his extraordinary career.
"Listen, this to me was so common," a smiling Pele told AFP. "I suffered all my life with good marking. He's a very good player, everybody knows.
"This was one moment. The striker who bit someone, Luis Suarez, was worse than this."
Pele, a leading contender for the title of greatest footballer of all-time, was speaking at the launch of an exhibition to mark his 75th birthday, which falls on October 23.
Called 'Art, Life, Football', the exhibition at London's Halcyon Gallery features artworks depicting memorable moments from Pele's career, including a 1977 portrait by pop art pioneer Andy Warhol.
Unlike today's stars, there is not a surfeit of footage of Pele in action, but some of his goals were so famous they acquired their own epithets.
There was 'O Milesimo', a penalty for Santos -- his only Brazilian club -- against Vasco da Gama that was thought to be his 1,000th goal.
A pitch-long dribble and shot against Fluminense in 1961 was deemed worthy of a plaque at Rio de Janeiro's iconic Maracana, the ground where it was scored, earning it the nickname 'Gol de placa'.
Meanwhile, the goal Pele considered his best, in which he reputedly flicked the ball over three defenders and the goalkeeper before heading in during a match against the Brazilian Juventus in 1959, was recreated using CGI in 2014.
- 'I was shaking' -
"People are talking about them until now because they were so good," says Pele -- full name Edson Arantes do Nascimento -- of the Fluminense and Juventus goals, neither of which was caught on film.
"Of course I had other goals that were important to me, in a World Cup too. But these two goals were the ones people mentioned more.
"They were beautiful goals, but there were other important goals. For example, the 1,000th goal.
"It was a penalty kick. Everybody said, 'Oh, it's easy to score a goal with a penalty kick.'
"But to me, in the Maracana, I was shaking, I was so nervous. I said to myself, 'My god, I cannot miss this moment.' This 1,000th goal was very important to me too." Pele, who underwent spinal surgery in July, considers Lionel Messi to be the world's best current player and cites England's 1966
World Cup-winning midfielder Bobby Charlton as his "most difficult opponent".
Charlton was recently surpassed by Wayne Rooney as England's record goal-scorer and there is an expectation that Neymar will one day claim Pele's record for Brazil.
The Barcelona forward, 23, has already scored 46 international goals and has Pele's mark of 77 in his sights.
But with Neymar having started out, like Pele, at Santos, the three-time World Cup-winner is relaxed about the prospect.
"Coincidentally, Neymar is from Santos. He started there," said Pele, who also spent two years at New York Cosmos.
"My son, Edinho (sentenced last year to a 33-year jail term for money laundering), who was a goalkeeper, was his coach in the under-20s. If Neymar breaks this record, fantastic. One more for Santos!"
As much as he enjoys watching Neymar and Messi strut their stuff, however, Pele resorts to an old refrain when asked if anyone in the modern game reminds him of himself.
"I used to say: 'Listen, everybody wants to find a new Pele. It's impossible,'" he says.
"My mother and my father closed the machine. No more!"
Wayne Rooney says he is honoured to make a final appearance for England and happy for manager Gareth Southgate to decide his playing time Thursday against the United States.Former Manchester United star Rooney, in video comments released Monday by his Major League Soccer club DC United, detailed his excitement at ...
Reuters, Beijing :No country can block China's cooperation with island nations in the Pacific and the area is no country's sphere of influence, a senior diplomat said on Tuesday, ahead of a summit between President Xi Jinping and Pacific island leaders.Australia, in particular, has been vying for influence with China ...
Reuters, Gaza :Israel launched more air strikes on Gaza on Tuesday as Palestinians kept up rocket fire on Israeli territory, in the worst surge of violence since a 2014 war.The fighting - that has killed six Palestinians, five of them militants, and a civilian in Israel since Monday -threatened to ...
Jannatul Ferdous Oishee crowned 'Miss Bangladesh 2018' on November 30. Now, she is in China for participating in the 'Miss World' beauty contest. There she will represent Bangladesh. On Saturday night at 1:00 am, Oishi left Dhaka for Sanya in China. And she reached there on Sunday morning.Swapan Chowdhury, chairman ...
AP, Milan :Cristiano Ronaldo ended his San Siro hoodoo to help Juventus to a 2-0 win after AC Milan forward Gonzalo Higuain missed a penalty against his former team on Sunday.Higuain left Juventus in the offseason following the signing of Ronaldo and he had a nightmare game as he was ...
THE directives to ensure discipline in traffic system issued by higher authorities have failed to bring any result. The traffic rule violation is still rampant. Almost all directives addressing owners and workers of city service buses and human haulers, pedestrians and drivers went unheeded. If the traffic management system returns ...
The death toll in wildfires sweeping California has risen to 31, with more than 200 people still unaccounted for, officials have said.Six more people were confirmed killed in the Camp Fire in the north of the state, taking the toll there to 29.That fire now equals the deadliest on record ...
Sheikh Arif Bulbon :It was earlier fixed that Raihan Rafi directed and Jaaz Multimedia produced movie Dohon was scheduled to release on November 16. Later releasing date was changed to November 30. Owner of Jaaz Abdul Aziz confirmed the matter yesterday. Main theme of the story was given by him ...
Actor Akshya Kumar recently announced the entire cast of India’s first space film Mission Mangal. The film is set to go on floors next month and will be helmed by Jagan Shakti. Besides Akshay as the main lead, Mission Mangal has an impeccable leading cast that includes names like Vidya ...
Hundreds of Iranian women attended a crunch football match in Tehran, in a rare step seen Sunday as a "victory" by local newspapers and hailed by FIFA as an "historic and festive day" for the sport.About a thousand women were allowed into Azadi Stadium late Saturday to watch Iranian giant ...
ANOTHER woman was killed in a running bus on Friday night. This time her father was also pushed off the vehicle on Dhaka-Tangail highway in Savar. The incident may remind one of the rape and murder of law student Rupa Khatun inside a running bus in Tangail over a year ...