Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Saturday, April 20, 2019 11:21:54 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

Bombers joined Tazia procession to evade detection: Police say

By bdnews24.com
27th-Oct-2015       
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

The attackers of a Shia gathering at Old Dhaka's Huseni Dalan evaded detection by security forces by entering in a procession, police say.
A boy was killed and over 100 people injured in a bomb attack on the Shia gathering before a procession in Old Dhaka early on Saturday.
The Shias were preparing for the procession called 'Tazia Michhil' on Nazimuddin Road.
They were coming in small processions to join the main one since evening on Friday. Witness Zainal Abedin told bdnews24.com: "A small Tazia Michhil came inside four minutes before the blasts. The explosions took place just after they joined the gathering."
A resident of Old Dhaka's Aga Masih Lane said he had been in the area since the evening. He was near the west gate of the Huseni Dalan complex or Imambarha during the blasts.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Additional Deputy Commissioner for Lalbagh zone Sanjit Kumar Roy was also in the same area, overseeing the security measures.
Roy also thinks the bombers entered the gathering in a procession. "The criminals entered in a procession. They might have entered with the Tazia Michhil four minutes before the blasts," he said.
Asked if those in the procession could be identified with the help of CCTV footages, he said, "The footage is not very distinct. But it may be possible to identify them if experts examine the movements."
There were 32 CCTV cameras set up by the Huseni Dalan authorities and police in the area.
Roy said police detectives were working with the footage.
DMP Lalbagh zone Assistant Commissioner RM Faizur Rahman said, "The bombs were made locally.
RAB-10 Commander Jahangir Alam Matubbar said the handmade explosives could be called 'grenades'.
"RAB found three clips of these grenades in the complex. Before this, DMP detectives found two unexploded grenades and a clip. One of those grenades did not have any clip."
Inspector General of Police (IGP) AKM Shahidul Hoque said the bombs were similar to those recovered from Kamrangirchar during the investigation into the murder of the policeman at Gabtoli.
Detective Branch Bomb Squad's Additional Deputy Commissioner Sanwar Hossain also said there were similarities between the 'grenades' found in Kamrangirchar and Huseni Dalan.
Police filed a case under the Anti Terrorism Act against unidentified miscreants over the attack in Old Dhaka. The DB have been tasked with the investigation. Police said in the case that the unidentified terrorist organisation carried out the attack as part of their plan to destroy the harmony among the people of Bangladesh and hamper public security.
It was also said in the case that a section of the terrorist organisation was on the spot to carry out the attack and another provided funds, training, suggestions and directions.
After reportedly claiming responsibilities for the murders of the foreigners, radical group Islamic State has purportedly claimed credit for the attack on the Shia gathering now.
The government ministers and law-enforcing agencies, however, deny any links with the IS.
Police and locals said there were many law enforcers at the two entrances to the Huseni Dalan complex.
Someone needs to get past both the iron gates one after another to enter the complex.
One of the bombs was charged next to the gate inside the complex. The place, bloodstained, was seen marked with bricks on Sunday.
DMP Additional Deputy Commissioner Roy said, "There was adequate security at the two gates. There was no lack of security personnel in and outside the complex."
Assistant Commissioner Rahman said police were deployed on the roofs of the buildings beside the route of the main procession.
"We even deployed policemen beside the transformers so that no one could hamper power connection," he said.
Imambarha Managing Committee's Sajed Hossain said, "There were many RAB and police personnel at the two gates. They were searching the persons willing to enter the complex."
"The miscreants entered the gathering in procession," he added. Policemen were conducting the search using metal detector.
Asked why the persons carrying the bombs could not be caught despite the search, Roy said it was not possible to search those in the processions. The Shias were gathering with sticks, bamboos and many other objects to perform self-flagellation to mourn the death of Imam Hussain, grandson of the Prophet Muhammad (SM), in the seventh century battle of Karbala.
Deputy Commissioner Uddin said, "Thousands were preparing for the procession with ropes tied around their bodies and other things. It was not simply possible to search them all."

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Football »

FIFA backs English players' social media boycott over racism


AP, England :FIFA is backing a 24-hour social media boycott by professional players in England in a protest against racial abuse and revealed plans for a new global campaign to eradicate discrimination in soccer.Following a series of high-profile cases in recent weeks, the Professional Footballers' Association has gathered support from ...

International »

US President Trump declares victory on Mueller report D-Day


President Donald Trump, backed by his attorney general, declared himself fully vindicated on Thursday in the investigation into Russian election meddling and alleged collusion with his campaign - even before the American people and lawmakers see the full probe report."Game Over," Trump tweeted, using a "Game of Thrones" style montage ...

Entertainment »

Shanta Jahan in Australia for hosting


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Shanta Jahan is a popular host of present time. Though she acts sometimes but always feels comfortable to present herself as a host to all. For the first time Shanta went to Australia to host a show. She left Dhaka at night on April 18. Today is ...

Editorial »

One is punished for another's sin!


LOCAL media reported that a day labourer was allegedly sent to jail on Wednesday for not paying electricity bill of Tk 4007, even though his house at Mochagora village in Muradnagar upazila in Cumilla district had no electrical line. On Thursday evening, Chief Judicial Magistrate granted him bail after hearing ...

Cricket »

Sri Lanka dump Chandimal, bring back Thirimanne for World Cup


AFP, Colombo :Sri Lanka Thursday dumped established stars including former captain Dinesh Chandimal to hand batsman Lahiru Thirimanne and leg-spinner Jeffrey Vandersay a place in their World Cup squad.Chandimal, who was one-day captain until last October, wicketkeeper-batsman Niroshan Dickwella, off-spinner Akila Dananjaya, openers Danushka Gunathilaka and Upul Tharanga were all ...

Cricket »

Senior players need to take the responsibility: Faruk Ahmed


Former chief selector Faruk Ahmed insisted on the performance of the senior players, stating that they need to take the onus if Bangladesh want to do well in the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup.According to Faruk, the condition should give Bangladesh a confidence, given that they stormed into the semifinal ...

Entertainment »

Mehazabien’s Boishakhi works create viewers’ attention


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :For the last few years, Mehazabien Chowdhury established her strong position in media by virtue of her acting quality and skill. She is now getting positive response for acting in two Boishakhi plays. Afran Nisho was her co-actor in these two plays - Tom & Jerry and ...

International »

Turkish opposition takes control of Istanbul, re-run appeal still pending


Reuters, Istanbul :Turkey's main opposition candidate took office as Istanbul mayor on Wednesday after a stunning victory over President Tayyip Erdogan's AK Party, but the new head of the country's largest city still faces an appeal for the vote to be re-run.The final result of the March 31 local elections ...

Editorial »

Power politics in Egypt


A HUGE majority of Egypt's MPs on April 16 approved constitutional amendments to allow President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi in power until 2030. The amendments were initially introduced in February, however after lengthy debates and discussions favouring the Egyptian society it was updated earlier this week. "The president's current term shall expire ...

Football »

Iniesta's J-League club Kobe part ways with coach Lillo


AFP, Tokyo :Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta's Vissel Kobe have terminated the contract of manager Juan Manuel Lillo following a poor run of results, the Japanese club said on Wednesday.The 53-year-old former Real Sociedad and Zaragoza boss won just two of six games since taking charge last October as star-studded Vissel ...

International »

US waging 'financial war' against Palestinians


AP, Ramallah, West Bank :The new Palestinian prime minister on Tuesday accused the United States of declaring "financial war" on his people and said an American peace plan purported to be in the works will be "born dead."In his first interview with international media since taking office over the weekend, ...

City »

Various organisations formed a human chain in front of Jatiya Press Club on Wednesday marking the International Krishok Sangram Dibash-2019.


Entertainment »

Priya Bapat to take up a web series


Web Series are surely the in thing nowadays and so many actors, irrespective of their stardom, are being seen in them. Marathi superstar Priya Bapat has also bagged a web series called City Of Dreams. Sharing her experience of being part of the series, she says, “Web series are now ...

Editorial »

Urgent steps needed to check outbreak of diarrhoea


AT the advent of summer this year, the number of diarrhoea patients has already crossed the recent records. International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, and the other city hospitals are struggling to tackle the surge in diarrhoea patients. The diarrhoea patients admitted to the ICDDR,B has crossed the number ...

Cricket »

Tearful Taskin vows to make a strong comeback


Fast bowler Taskin Ahmed vowed to make a strong comeback after being snubbed from the 15-member World Cup squad, announced by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Tuesday.Chocked with emotions as tears were rolling down from his cheek Taskin shared his disappointments with media."Its' ok just pray for me," Taskin ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news