HC bench embarrassed to hear Shahidul's bail plea


Staff Reporter :
A High Court bench on Tuesday felt "embarrassed" to hear the bail petition filed by photographer Shahidul Alam who had been in the custody in a case filed under Information Communication Technology (ICT) Act.
The HC bench of Justice Md Ruhul Quddus and Justice Khandaker Diliruzzaman, who were set to hear the petition, forwarded it to the Chief Justice for a decision. The High Court bench did not disclose the reason why it felt embarrassed to hear the bail petition.
Barrister Sarah Hossain argued for Shahidul Alam.
The High Court on Monday deferred till Tuesday the hearing on the bail petition of Shahidul Alam, whose release is now the demand of national and international quarters.
The bench of Justice Md Ruhul Quddus and Justice Khandaker Diliruzzaman deferred the date following a time prayer moved by Attorney General Mahbubey Alam.
Shahidul Alam's counsels, Barristers Sarah Hossain and Jyotirmoy Barua, filed the bail petition with the HC on August 28, saying that he may be granted bail as he is physically ill, and that he will face trial proceedings and will not leave the country if granted bail in the case.
Citing from the bail petition, Barrister Sarah told that petitions were filed twice with the lower court seeking bail for Shahidul, but the court refused to grant him bail in the case. Shahidul then filed the bail petition in the High Court.
The photographer is in prison on charges of "spreading propaganda and false information against the government".
Law enforcers picked up Shahidul, 63, on the night of August 5 from his Dhanmondi residence.
The following day, he was placed on seven-day remand after police produced him in a court seeking a 10-day remand. He told the court that he was tortured in custody, but the police denied the allegation.
He was sent to jail on August 13 on completion of his remand.
In response to a writ petition filed by his wife Rahnuma Ahmed on August 7, the High Court directed the government to immediately send him to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University for his treatment and submit a report on August 9 by 10:30 am.
The BSMMU authorities formed a four-member medical board to examine his health and mental condition. The board's report submitted to the HC mentioned that he was physically and mentally sound.