Hearing on Minni's bail plea deferred


Staff Reporter :
The High Court (HC) on Tuesday fixed Thursday for hearing on a bail petition filed by Aysha Siddika Minni in the case filed over the murder of her husband Rifat Sharif in Barguna.
The HC Bench of Justice Sheikh Md Zakir Hossain and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order after the bail petition came for hearing.
Earlier the HC Bench fixed Tuesday for hearing the bail petition.
Minni's lawyer Advocate Z I Khan Panna submitted the petition citing different grounds on which the HC may consider her bail. In the petition, Minni, who is now in jail, said she is innocent and she was not in anyway involved in the murder, and she had been falsely implicated in the case.  
She said, she had been made witness No 1 in the first information report of the case and the FIR did not contain any specific allegation against her. Minni added that she put her life in danger by desperately trying to prevent the attackers and to save her husband, which has been videotaped and run by the social media. She said that, she had been made accused with an ulterior motive and on the instructions of a vested quarter.
Minni added that her confessional statement was recorded in violation of the directives issued by the apex court and hence, her statement under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) had no legal basis.
She claimed that her confessional statement was neither voluntary nor true. On Monday, the bail petition was filed on behalf of Minni with the High Court through lawyer.
Earlier, a Barguna court rejected Minni's bail petition twice on July 22 and 30 respectively.
Police arrested Minni on July 16 after a daylong interrogation and produced her in the court for remand the following day. No lawyer represented Minni during the remand hearing in the court. Rifat Sharif, a 25-year-old Internet service provider, was indiscriminately hacked by a group of youths there.
In a video footage of the incident that went viral in the social media, Minni was seen screaming and trying in vain to save her husband from the assailants.
The victim's father filed a murder case with Barguna Sadar Police Station against 12 people on the same day.
The prime accused in the case, Nayon Bond, was killed in a "gunfight" with police on July 2.