Female expat, 6 others die


Staff Reporter :
At least seven more dengue patients, including an expatriate woman, died on Tuesday, as the mosquito-borne disease continue to take its toll throughout the country.
In Dhaka, three died of dengue fever at the Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) and two -- one each at the city's Anwer Khan Modern Medical College Hospital and Mugda General Hospital.
The deceased were identified as Monwara Begum, 75, Amzad Mandal, 52, Habibur Rahman, 21, Hafsa Lipi, 34, and Hanif, 42.
Monwara Begum, 75, died at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the DMCH around 3:00am, Assistant Director of the hospital Dr Nasir Uddin told media.
Monwara was admitted to the hospital on August 3 with symptoms of dengue fever, he said.     
Besides, Habibur Rahman, 21, hailing from Bhanga upazila in Faridpur, died of dengue at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the DMCH around 2:15 pm.
He was a resident of Tejgaon area of the city.
Anwar Hossain, a relative of Habibur, said he was admitted to the hospital with dengue fever on Wednesday and shifted to the ICU of the hospital on Saturday.
Another dengue patient Amzad Mandal, hailing from Manikganj, died at the hospital   at around 6:00am, sources said.
He was admitted to the hospital at around 3:00am Monday night. The victim's younger brother Rashed Mandal told the media that his brother (Amzad) was infected with dengue on Friday and they took him to Manikganj Sadar Hospital on the same day. Later, Amzad was shifted to the DMCH as his condition deteriorated, he said.
With the above three, a total of 17 people died of dengue fever at the DMCH since January 1. 
Besides, a female Bangladeshi expatriate living in Italy died of the mosquito-borne disease at the Anwer Khan Modern Hospital in Dhaka on Monday night.
Hafsa Lipi, 34, wife of Sarder Abdul Sattar Tarun, was taken to the hospital on Friday.
The mother of two boys aged 6 and 12 was undergoing treatment for four days at the intensive care unit of the hospital. She passed away on Monday night at the ICU, hospital director Jasimuddin Khan, told the media.
Hafsa's husband, Tarun, 36, was also infected with the disease. Tarun's elder sister Dr Nurunnahar said that the couple along with their two children returned home from Italy barely 10 days ago and were staying at a house in city's Kalabagan area.
"Hafsa fell ill during this time. She was found to have dengue in a test on July 28. When her condition deteriorated suddenly, we took her to the hospital on Friday morning. She was transferred to ICU on that day," Dr Nurunnahar added. Hafsa's body was taken to Shariatpur for burial on Tuesday morning, she said.
Besides, another dengue infected patient named Hanif died at the Mugda General Hospital on Monday night.
The hospital's Deputy Director Khairul Alam confirmed the death.
UNB adds: Madina Akter, 7, a KG-1 student of a Chandpur kindergarten, and daughter of Mizanur Rahman Dhali of Matlab North upazila, died of dengue at Dhanmondi General and Kidney Hospital in the capital around Monday midnight.
Madina was diagnosed with dengue and admitted to the hospital on August 3, and later shifted to the ICU of the hospital where she breathed her last.
In Rangpur, a minor girl died of mosquito-borne fever at Rangpur Medical College Hospital on Tuesday morning.
The deceased was identified as Riyana, 3, daughter of Ashraful Islam hailing from Gaibandha's Palashbari upazila. Dr Saifuzzaman, spokesperson of the hospital, said the child was admitted to the hospital on August 3 with dengue. After four days of treatment, she died around 8:00am.
She was diagnosed with dengue after returning from Dhaka recently, he added.
In Dinajpur, a teenage boy lost his battle to dengue at M Abdur Rahim Medical College Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday.
Rabiul Islam, 17, son of Noyan Islam of Nekmarad village in Ranishankail upazila of Thakurgaon district, died around 5:30am, said Dr Khairul Kabir, director of the hospital. The teenage boy was admitted to the hospital on July 30.
So far, a total of 23 dengue patients died across the country, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), although the unofficial death toll climbed to 67 till Tuesday.
bdnews24.com adds: New dengue cases across Bangladesh have continued to rise with the number of patients hospitalised with the viral fever outside the capital in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning crossing 1,000.
Hospitals across the country admitted a total of 2,348 dengue patients, including 1,064 outside the outbreak's epicentre Dhaka, between 8am on Monday and 8am on Tuesday, according to the government.
The daily rate of new dengue patients broke the record to reach 2,065 in the previous 24 hours after dropping for two days.
Now the total number of dengue patients who received treatment in hospitals so far this year stands at 29,912.
The DGHS said 7,968 patients were undergoing treatment on Tuesday morning, including 5,182 in Dhaka and 2,832 outside the capital, while 21,921 have been released so far this year.
The number of patients who died from dengue this year has crossed 90, according to media reports. The government has put the death toll from dengue this year at 23, saying it was reviewing the new fatal cases.
Throughout July, 16,223 dengue patients were hospitalised while the number reached 11,451 in the first five days of August.