Logo
05th-Nov-2019

Spurs consider appeal over Son's red card in Gomes incident

By Agency


Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino hinted the club may appeal against Son Heung-min's red card following the horrific injury suffered by Everton's Andre Gomes in the 1-1 draw on Sunday.
Pochettino -- whose side were denied a first away win in the league since January with a late stoppage time equaliser from Cenk Tosun -- blamed VAR for the red card as Son had been initially just booked.
The 26-year-old Portuguese international's injury -- a fracture dislocation to his right ankle which he will have surgery on Monday -- occurred as his momentum from Son's trip saw him crash into Spurs defender Serge Aurier.
Pochettino -- whose side remain in the bottom half in 11th place with 13 points from their first 11 games -- expressed his sorrow for Gomes but said a visibly distressed Son had not intended to provoke such an injury.
"It was clear it was never the intention of Son to create the problem that happened afterwards," said Pochettino.
"It is unbelievable to see a red card. In that situation we need to help because the decision of the referee was a yellow card but the VAR changed the decision.
"It is the latest example of it being not clear. VAR needs to check if it was a bad tackle from Son and judge the action, not what happened after.
"I don't know what will happen now (in terms of an appeal). The club will see if it is possible but what we cannot change is what happened after (the incident)."