Logo
15th-Feb-2015

Bolt plans 2017 World Championships swansong

By AFP, London

Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt plans to bow out in glory after the 2017 World Championships in London, he said in a British newspaper interview published on Saturday.
The 28-year-old six-time Olympic champion had previously suggested he would retire after the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, but now says he will continue until 2017, albeit only in the 100 metres.
"That was the initial plan (to retire in 2016)," he told the Daily Mail. "But my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year, to 2017 and London.
"But I'll be doing one event, the 100. I've already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note."
Bolt's main focus for 2015 will be the World Championships in Beijing on August 22-30.