Dhaka returning to normalcy after Eid holidays

News Desk :
Dhaka is returning to normalcy after a long Eid-ul-Fitr holiday with the reopening of most offices and educational institutions in the capital.
On Sunday morning, students and office-goers were seen waiting for buses or rickshaws on several roads in the capital.
Vehicle movement increased on several roads, including in the Mogbazar, Hatirjheel, and Malibagh areas, but there were no reports of heavy traffic congestion.
However, some commuters in Uttara, Banani, and Rampura had to brave long tailbacks to reach their destinations.
A college teacher, Shohag, told the media that he was able to reach his workplace at Mohammadpur without having to sit in traffic for hours. “Dhaka’s traffic problems still haven’t started yet.”
A said the number of passengers increased on Sunday morning compared to last week, but buses were still not operating at full capacity.
He added that bus operators expect more passengers after three to four days, when offices start in full swing.
Amal Sarkar, who works for a private company in Dhaka, said: “Since the roads are not crowded yet, it feels like the holidays have not ended yet. Vehicle movement will probably increase in three to four days.”
Deputy Commissioner of Tejgaon Traffic Division Masud Al Shahed told the media that there coming back to life no major traffic jams in Dhaka on Sunday, and vehicles were moving freely.
Meanwhile, many are still returning to the capital after celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr holidays in their hometowns. Rail stations, launch, and bus terminals were still packed with people heading for the capital.
UNB adds: As Eid-ul-Fitr holiday came to an end people from south-western districts started returning to their workstations in the capital but the journey is taking more
than 12 hours for many due to gridlock at Daulatdia ferry terminal.
Shariful Islam, a trader from Barishal lying on the engine cover of a Dhaka-bound bus on Sunday morning, said he started around 7 pm on Saturday from his house and got on the bus around 9 pm.
His bus was standing still three kilometers away from the terminal as he was talking to the UNB reporter.
Like Shariful, hundreds of passengers were seen waiting to cross the river as the long tailback of vehicles on the Dhaka-Khulna highway crossed six kilometers and kept getting longer by the hour.
To decrease the pressure on the terminal police have started stopping vehicles 13 kilometers from the terminal near the Ahladipur area in Rajbari sadar upazila.Hundreds of private vehicles reached the terminal crossing an extra eight-kilometer path from Padmar Mor and Jamidar Bridge area through Ujan Char and Char Daulatdia.
Some drivers complained local influential people and brokers were charging extra money from the drivers of goods-laden vehicles with the help of police as they were given priority for crossing the river.
Abul Bashar, a fruits trader from Barguna said he started around 8 pm with 22 tonnes of watermelon on a covered van to Dhaka and got stuck in the traffic around 11 pm.
He said, “I had to collect a ticket paying Tk 4,000 instead of regular Tk 1,800 as they were allowing us to pass specially. Yet a huge number of my watermelons perished due to long 13 hours of wait amid heat.”
According to the Daulatdia office of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), 11, 593 vehicles crossed the Padma River in the last 24 hours till Sunday 6 am through ferry from Daulatdia terminal.
Md Shihab Uddin, manager of BIWTA Daulatdia office, said a record number of vehicles have crossed the river from this terminal in 24 hours.
“On Saturday noon two of the 21 ferries operating on Daulatdia-Paturia route became disable but both of them resumed operation again in the evening. Currently all the ferries are operating from five terminals but due to worn-out roads and increased pressure of all the vehicles of Shimulia-Banglabazar route there is the long tailback”, said the BIWTA official.
Meanwhile, around 30,000 passengers crossed the river by 166 launches from Daulatdia terminal, said Nurul Anwar, spokesperson for Aricha Launch Owners’ Association in Daulatdia.
He said after 10 pm Saturday launch trips were reduced considering risk as most of the launches were carrying almost double their capacity of passengers.