Man, daughter electrocuted in Mymensingh

block

UNB  :
A man and his daughter died from electrocution while irrigating the area beside their house in Dharakandi village of Maoha union in Gouripur upazila of Mymensingh on Wednesday evening.

The deceased were identified as Shafiqul Islam, 40, and his daughter Hridimoni, 7, a class three student at Dharakandi Government Primary School.

Sumon Chandra Roy, officer-in-charge of Gouripur Police Station, confirmed the matter.

block

Police and witnesses said that while Shafiqul was irrigating the land with an electric irrigation machine from a pond near his house, his infant daughter was electrocuted after touching the motor. When Shafiqul tried to rescue her, he was also electrocuted.

Later, locals rescued them and took them to Gouripur Upazila Health Complex, where Farzana Binte Majid, a duty doctor at the emergency department, declared them brought dead. Legal action is being taken in this regard, said the OC.