2 siblings die, 20 fall ill after eating watermelon21 April 2014 bdnews24.com
Two siblings have died and at least 20 others, including the seven members of a family, have been hospitalised after eating chemically treated watermelon in Kumarkhali Upazila, Kushtia.
The watermelon vendor has been arrested. The incident occurred at Kaloa village around noon on Sunday.
The children who died were identified as 'Anik', 11, son of Asgar Ali of the village, and his sister 'Smrity', 9.
Those taken ill were admitted to the Kushtia General Hospital.
According to the siblings' family, Asgar Ali had bought the watermelons at the Kumarkhali bus terminal and took them home.
The other members of the family and some neighbours fell ill soon after sharing the fruit. The locals rushed them to the Kushtia General Hospital, where Smrity died soon afterwards. Anik died while being taken to the Rajshahi Medical College Hospital.
Senior Medical Officer at Kushtia General Hospital Dr. Salek Masud said that the watermelons might have been treated with harmful chemicals. Admitting the incident, OC of the Kumarkhali Police Station Sheikh Lutfar Rahman told bdnews24.com that a police team, led by Kumarkhali Upazila Executive Officer (UNO) Shaila Akther, arrested watermelon vendor Rezaul at around 2:30pm and seized 19 watermelons from his possession.
The police was interrogating him.