Anthrax breaks out again

Doctors detect 11 patients in Madhupur

26 August 2014 STAFF REPORTER


At least eleven people have been infected when anthrax outbreaks in the village of Ambaria under Madhupur Upazila in Tangail district, the health officials said on Monday.
They said the patients were undergoing treatment at Madhupur Upazila Health Complex. A special medical team of the hospital was giving treatment to the infected patients.
 "The villagers were infected after processing the meat of a sick cow recently. They were involved in cutting and sharing the meat. Usually, the anthrax bacteria affects human body if anyone touches the infected flesh of a cow. Here, all of them have been suffering from sore in the hands and legs," Upzila Livestock Officer Dr Hazrat Ali said.
 "The affected persons were Anowar, 30, Azad, 27, Razzaque, 25, Tota Mia, 45, Rahman, 55, Salma, 27, Mahfuza, 30, Sajeda, 40, Rahmat Ali and Masud, 12.  They have been undergoing treatment at the Madhupur upazila health complex," he said.
Resident Medical Officer of the hospital Dr Alamgir Hossain assured the local people that there was no reason for any panic regarding the disease. But he advised the local people to stay in alert position and beware of it to avert the disease.
Meanwhile, Director General of Livestock Department Dr Mojammel Haque Siddique, Upazila Nirbahi Officer of Madhupur Mohammad Habibullah, UP chairman of Mirzabari Sadequl Islam, along with local journalists, visited the affected area yesterday afternoon.
Upazila Health and Family Planning Officer Dr Hafizur Rahman said that a list of 79 people was made, who handled the meat of the infected cows. They will be monitored closely and treated if necessary, he added.
An affected person named Md Azad hailed from Ghonabari told the local journalists that he had bought a bull from Dhanbari bazaar one and a half years ago at a cost of Tk 9,000. The animal got infected with the anthrax.
The cow was slaughtered on August 14 where eleven persons were involved in processing the meat. The vilalgers went to Upazila Health Complex on August 24 after feeling skin sore. The doctors detected them infected by anthrax, he said.
Upazila officials said that about 500 cattle have so far been vaccinated soon after getting the information of anthrax. Several teams of physicians were working to combat the disease.
Besides, Upazila Nirbahi Officer also held several awareness meetings with the villagers.
Although the anthrax does not spread directly from one infected human or animal to another, it spreads through spores. The humans could be infected by anthrax after handling diseased animals or eating infected meat.
Earlier on August 22, a cow died by anthrax in the same village, according to Health officials.

Add Rate