Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:49:46 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

FBI finds N Korean in $81m BB heist

photo by

By
08th-Sep-2018       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AP, Los Angeles :
A computer programmer working for the North Korean government was charged with devastating cyberattacks that hacked Sony Pictures Entertainment and unleashed the WannaCry ransomware virus that infected computers in 150 countries and crippled parts of the British health care system, federal prosecutors said Thursday.
Park Jin Hyok, who is believed to be in North Korea, conspired to conduct a series of attacks that also stole $81 million from a bank in Bangladesh, according to charges unsealed in Los Angeles federal court following years of investigation. The US believes he was working for a North Korean-sponsored hacking organization.
The US government previously said North Korea was responsible for the 2014 Sony hack that led to the release of a trove of sensitive personal information about employees, including Social Security numbers, financial records, salary information, as well as embarrassing emails among top executives. The hack included four yet-to-be released Sony films, among them "Annie," and one that was in theatres, the Brad Pitt film

 "Fury," and cost the company tens of millions of dollars. The FBI had long suspected North Korea was also behind last year's WannaCry cyberattack, which used malware to scramble data on hundreds of thousands of computers at hospitals, factories, government agencies, banks and other businesses across the globe. "The criminal conduct outlined in this case is intolerable," said Tracy Wilkison, the first assistant US attorney in Los Angeles. "The North Korean-backed conspiracy attempted to crush freedom of speech in the US and the U.K. It robbed banks around the world. And it created indiscriminate malware that paralyzed computers and disrupted the delivery of medical care." The charges were filed under seal 8 June, four days before president Donald Trump's historic meeting with North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un, to discuss ending decades of hostility between the two countries. Prosecutors said the complaint was sealed for a variety of reasons and wasn't done to prevent derailing the Singapore talks. "This has nothing to do with the summit and nothing to do with denuclearization," Wilkison said. US officials believe the Sony hack was retribution for "The Interview," a comedy starring Seth Rogen and James Franco in a plot to assassinate Kim. Sony canceled the theatrical release of the film amid threats to moviegoers. The company released it online through YouTube and other sites.
A Sony spokeswoman declined comment Thursday. Attempts by The Associated Press to reach the alleged hacker were not immediately successful. Two Gmail addresses identified in the FBI in the complaint were listed as disabled. Among the emails released in the hack was an exchange in which Amy Pascal, then co-chairman of the studio, and "The Social Network" producer Scott Rudin joked about what might be then-President Barack Obama's favorite movies, listing "12 Years a Slave" and films by black comedian Kevin Hart. The pair apologized. Pascal left her job months later. In addition to targeting Sony, hackers sent spear-phishing emails to employees at AMC Theaters, which had planned to screen the movie, and to a British company producing a fictional television series about a scientist taken prisoner in North Korea, authorities said. The hackers used the same aliases and accounts from the Sony attack when they sent spear-phishing emails to several US defense contractors, including Lockheed Martin, and others in South Korea, officials said. The criminal complaint says the hackers committed several attacks from 2014 into 2018, attempting to steal more than $1 billion from banks around the world. The investigation is continuing. The hackers also targeted technology and virtual currency industries, as well as academia and electric utilities, authorities said. "This case warrants attention whether you are an individual, a small business or a major corporation," FBI special agent Jennifer Boone said. "Terms you'll see in the complaint, such as watering holes and back doors, don't sound menacing, but in reality they describe malicious cyber techniques that wreak havoc on our computer systems and our lives." Cybersecurity experts have said portions of the WannaCry program used the same code as malware previously distributed by the hacker collective known as the Lazarus Group, which is believed to be responsible for the Sony hack.
The complaint said Park was on a team of programmers employed an organization called Chosun Expo that operated out of Dalian, China, and that the FBI described as "a government front company."
A North Korea-registered website bearing that company's name described it as the country's "first internet company," established in 2002. A 2015 version of the Chosun Expo website said it focused on gaming, gambling, e-payments and image recognition software. It looked in many ways like a typical tech company, boasting of its "pioneering" IT talent and customer satisfaction. By July 2016, internet archival records show, the company dropped the reference to North Korea from its home page. The site later vanished from the web.
Emails sent to Chosun Expo's generic email address and to the website's original registrant, whose name was given as Won Sun Chol, went unreturned. It is the first time the Justice Department has brought criminal charges against a hacker said to be from North Korea. In recent years, the department has charged hackers from China, Iran and Russia in hopes of publicly shaming other countries for sponsoring cyberattacks on US corporations. In 2014, for instance, the Obama administration charged five Chinese military hackers with a series of digital break-ins at American companies. Last year, the Justice Department charged Russian hackers with an intrusion at Yahoo Inc. The Treasury Department also added Park Jin Hyok's name to their sanction list, which prohibits banks that do business in the US from providing accounts to him or Chosun Expo.
Park, whose age is not known, is charged with two counts alleging conspiracies to commit computer and wire fraud - crimes that could carry a prison term up to 25 years. It's unlikely he will be extradited because the US has no formal relations with North Korea. The North Korean government was not notified about the charges, which are likely to be a source of irritation. Diplomatic efforts have sputtered since the June summit, though Kim said through South Korean security officials Thursday that he still has faith Trump is committed to ending hostile relations. Trump thanked Kim on Twitter and said, "We will get it done together!"

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Entertainment »

Momtaz is delighted for getting Nat’l award


Sheikh Arif Bulbon :Last week was a memorable week for folk legend of the country Momtaz Begum. This Parliament Member received two national recognitions. For the first time, she became the top taxpayer of the country in category of singer. This information was disclosed on Wednesday. Finance Minister AHM Mustafa ...

Football »

Chelsea win battle to sign Australian women's football icon Kerr


Australian striker Sam Kerr will test herself at the top level of European football after impressing in her homeland and the United States as she joined Chelsea on Wednesday.The 26-year-old Matildas captain - who scored five times in this year's World Cup as the Australians reached the last 16 - ...

Editorial »

People need safe and reliable train service


IN Brahmanbaria's Kasba, Dhaka-bound inter-city train Turna Nishita Express by breaching traffic signal hit Chattogram-bound another inter-city train Udayan Express on Tuesday leaving 16 people dead and injured another 70 people. The nation was shocked witnessing the fatality of the accident. Different quarters have raised voice for not modernising the ...

International »

Senator Kamala Harris promises to lift cap for employment based green cards in US


PTI, Washington :Indian-origin US Senator Kamala Harris is in favour of lifting the existing per-country caps for employment based green cards, her presidential campaign has said, asserting that 95 per cent in line for legal permanent residency are primarily from India, China, the Philippines and Vietnam.Ms Harris' presidential campaign, which ...

City »

BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, among others, at a rally of professionals in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Tuesday demanding unconditional release of BNP Chief Begum Khaleda Zia.


Football »

Michael Brentan (front) of Italy looks to break past Pedro Lucas (center) of Brazil and Daniel Cabral (right) of Brazil during the FIFA U-17 World Cup quarter-final match between Italy and Brazil at the Olympic Stadium Goiania in Goiania, Brazil on Monday.


Football »

Ronaldo's fitness and attitude both under the spotlight


Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness and attitude has come under the spotlight after he reacted angrily to being substituted during Juventus' win over AC Milan and coach Maurizio Sarri said the 34-year-old had been nursing a knee injury for some time.Ronaldo now faces two matches with Portugal where he will want to ...

Editorial »

An innocent`s imprisonment


AFTER 27 days of imprisonment being wrongfully arrested by police, 19-year-old Rajan walked out on Monday. Police arrested Rajan Bhuiyan instead of Habibullah Rajan from the same village Gopalnagar, Brammanpara of Cumilla. The Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal ordered the Dhaka Central Jail authorities to set Rajan free. The tribunal also ...

Business & Economy »

Md. Monzur Mofiz, AMD of ONE Bank Limited, inaugurating its Banking Booth at Basundia crossing at Jashore sadar recently. High officials of the bank, Rezaul Islam Khan Russel, local Union Parishad Chairman and elites were also present.


Entertainment »

When Koushani shot daring scenes 180 feet deep inside a mine


Koushani Mukherjee who had to shoot some daring action sequences in her recently released 'Jaanbaaz' says despite the tough scenes she didn't use any dummy. "I didn't use a dummy. I gave my 100 per cent to the action scenes. It was over 40°C there and to add to our ...

Entertainment »

Kashmira Pardeshi to pair up with Bobby Simha


We had earlier reported that actor Bobby Simha will be playing the lead in an untitled film directed by debutant Ramanan Purushothama. The latest is that actress Kashmira Pardeshi, who made her debut in Tamil, in Sivappu Manjal Pachai opposite GV Prakash has been roped in played the female lead ...

Editorial »

Save the Sundarbans, it will protect us


THE Sundarbans, now most neglected world's largest mangrove forest, again has protected the country from the mighty storm 'Bulbul'. Not only the Bangladesh, the Sundarbans this time has also saved neighbouring India's West Bengal from an obvious deadly disaster.  The forest, renowned for its selfless deeds from the prehistoric time, ...

Entertainment »

Ananya Panday shines bright on cover of magazine


Ananya Panday is creating waves ever since her debut. The actress is shining bright on the November issue of a leading magazine. Earlier today, the new song from her upcoming movie was released and we can't stop grooving to the tunes! Brides Today magazine took to their social media to ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

Football »

Messi will stay at Barcelona for another five years


Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted talisman Lionel Messi could remain at the Nou Camp for at least another five years.The Argentinian is under contract until 2021 but has a clause inserted in his deal which could see him leave the Nou Camp for nothing in the summer.And although ...

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news