Home Today's Paper Most Popular Video Gallery Photo Gallery
Subscription Blog Signin Register
Logo
Saturday, August 8, 2020 12:32:08 PM
Follow Us On: Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter Twitter

US breaks off defense cost talks amid S Korea backlash over $5b demand

photo by AP photo

US envoy James DeHart said Washington had cut short the meeting to give Seoul \"some time to reconsider\" on hiking its contribution for maintaining American troops on its soil.

By
20th-Nov-2019       
Share
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • E-mail
  • Print
Comments
Share your thought
Post a comment »
Read all () »

AFP, Seoul :
 The United States walked out of talks on hiking South Korea's contribution for American troops on its soil, Seoul said Tuesday, as Washington accused its ally of rebuffing a "fair and equitable" agreement.
US President Donald Trump has repeatedly demanded the South pay more towards the costs of the 28,500 troops Washington stations in the South to defend it against the nuclear-armed North.
Seoul officials say Washington is seeking $5 billion from its treaty partner next year - a fivefold increase - raising concerns the issue will undermine their alliance.
The latest round of talks broke down in Seoul on Tuesday "because the US side walked out first", said Jeong Eun-bo, the South's chief negotiator.
His US counterpart James DeHart said Washington had "cut short" the meeting to give Seoul "some time to reconsider".
"Unfortunately, the proposals that were put forward by the Korean team were not responsive to our request for fair and equitable burden-sharing," DeHart told reporters.
US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on a visit to Seoul last week that South Korea was "a wealthy country and could and should pay more to offset the cost of defence".
The Special Measures Agreement (SMA) that governs cost-sharing for American troops in South Korea has been in place since 1991, and in February Seoul agreed to an eight percent contribution increase for this year, to around $890 million.
The head of the South's parliamentary intelligence committee Lee Hye-hoon said in a radio interview that US ambassador Harry Harris had "repeated the demand to pay $5 billion for defence cost-sharing about 20 times" at a meeting earlier this month.
Seoul's foreign ministry said in a statement it would work to keep contributions to a "reasonable" level and "within the range that is mutually acceptable".
The breakdown comes a day after the Seoul and Washington said they would delay annual joint aerial exercises slated for this month in an act of "goodwill" towards North Korea after months of deadlocked nuclear talks with Pyongyang.
South Korean lawmakers have mentioned US officers had demanded as much as $5 billion a 12 months, greater than 5 instances the 1.04 trillion gained ($896 million) Seoul agreed to pay this 12 months for internet hosting the 28,500 troops.
US officers haven't publicly confirmed the quantity, however Trump has beforehand mentioned the US army presence in and round South Korea was "$5 billion value of safety".
The negotiations are going down as US efforts to succeed in an settlement with North Korea over its nuclear and missile programmes seem stalled, forward of a year-end deadline from Pyongyang for the US to shift its strategy.
Lee Hye-hoon, head of South Korea's parliamentary intelligence committee, mentioned in a radio interview on Tuesday the US ambassador to South Korea talked to her at size earlier this month about how Seoul had been solely paying one-fifth what it ought to have been paying for the price of stationing the troops.
Underneath South Korean regulation, the army cost-sharing deal have to be accredited by parliament.
Ruling occasion lawmakers have mentioned this week they'll "refuse to ratify any extreme final result of the present negotiations" that deviate from the established precept and construction of the agreements for about 30 years.
Trump has railed towards what he says are insufficient contributions from allies in the direction of defence prices.
The US is because of start separate negotiations for brand spanking new defence cost-sharing offers with Japan, Germany and NATO subsequent 12 months

Tariff
Add Rate

News Archive

Inside The New Nation

Editorial »

Life at risk of illegal, unsafe electric connections in city


PEOPLE in the flood-hit area are also at risk of electrocution as many residents have taken power connections using bamboo poles and hooks. As the authorities concerned are indifferent to the consumers' demand for power connections in a proper way, people were compelled to get the connections. On the other ...

City »

Members of RAB-4 detain five frauds including four Nigerian citizens from the city's Kafrul and Pallabi thana areas on Friday.


.

Football »

Flamengo eye move for Argentinian defender Vigo


Agency :Flamengo have initiated talks with Newell's Old Boys about a possible deal to sign defender Alex Vigo, according to the player's agent.The interest comes as the reigning Brazilian Serie A champions seek a backup for former Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha, who will turn 35 next month."It's true that Flamengo ...

Business & Economy »

China exports see unexpected spike in July, imports down


AFP, Beijing :China saw another surprise jump in exports last month as the global economy slowly reopened after virus lockdowns, data showed Friday, but there were warnings that while the country is expected to get back on track by year's end overseas shipments would likely struggle.The readings, however, showed an ...

Editorial »

We mourn deaths in Beirut blast and demand proper investigation


A SERIES of small, silly mistakes, bureaucratic indifference and greed over a period of time can lead to deadly disasters of huge proportions. In Lebanon, this happened on Tuesday when a blast sent black, orange mushroom clouds high up in the air and a powerful shock wave in all directions, ...

Business & Economy »

Japanese FM in UK for post-Brexit trade talks


Japan's foreign minister on Wednesday began a three-day trip to Britain in a bid to wrap up negotiations on a post-Brexit trade agreement.Toshimitsu Motegi will meet British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and International Trade Secretary Liz Truss during his visit which will see two days of economic talks.It will be ...

International »

Pompeo offers $10m reward over election interference


AFP :Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday the United States would offer a $10 million reward to arrest any state actor who interferes in the November elections.US intelligence has said that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to support Donald Trump, especially though manipulation of social media.The United States ...

Sports »

`Slim to none` - Kyrgios unlikely for French Open


Nick Kyrgios dropped a huge hint Thursday that he will skip the French Open, saying the chances of him travelling to Europe this year were "slim to none".The opinionated Australian last week pulled out of the upcoming US Open in New York due to the coronavirus pandemic, with world number ...

Football »

Manchester City sign Dutch defender Ake from Bournemouth


English Premier League side Manchester City announced on Wednesday that Dutch international Nathan Ake has signed a five-year deal with the club to the summer of 2025.The 25-year-old defender, departing from relegated Bournemouth, became City's second signing of this summer after the club completed the signing with Spaniard Ferran Torres ...

City »

Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal forms a human chain in front of the Jatiya Press Club on Thursday marking Hiroshima Day.


City »

State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury hands over a book on 'Bangabandhu's Unfinished Biography' to the Chief Representative of JICA in Bangladesh Yuhohayakawa when the latter calls on him at the ministry on Thursday.


Editorial »

Set strategy to recoup education after pandemic


UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that the world set to face a generational catastrophe because of school closures amid the coronavirus pandemic. The states must take appropriate action to return students to the classroom. As of mid-July schools were closed in some 160 countries, affecting more than 1 billion students, ...

International »

Trump says he will `probably` give Republican nomination speech from White House


Reuters :US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he will probably give his Republican presidential nomination speech live from the White House, although the plans have not been confirmed yet."We're thinking about it. We're thinking about doing it from the White House," he said in an interview with Fox News. ...

Health »

Kids under 5 are more prone to SARS-CoV-2


Dr. Muhammad Torequl Islam :For a long time it has been considered that children and young people are fairly safe from the risk of incidence of the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) infection than the others. Besides, many facts, the big reasons behind this are that since children spend most of their ...

City »

`Bangladesh Chhatra Adhikar Parishad` forms a human chain in front of the National Museum in the city on Wednesday demanding trial of former army official Major Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan killing.


.

 
Items that you save may be read at any time on your computer, iPad, iPhone or Android devices.
 
Are you new to our website? Do you have already an account at our website?
Create An Account Log in here
Email this news to a friend or like someone
Email:
Write a comment to this news